5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 5:21 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links

WEFRA Administrator

Hi

Indesign CS6 on MACs with 10.8 are having problems with links. All links to other files have to be updated when opening a file although definitely nothing has changed to the linked files.
      We can rule out our company's networking and the system hosting the files (HELIOS software on RedHat Linux VM). This happens with newly created Indesign files and with old ones. E.g. we create a file on Tuesday, save it and open it again on the exact same MAC on Wednesday and all links to other fiels (.indd, .png, .bmp, etc. nothing uncommon) have to be updated as they all show the yellow triangle + black exclamation mark symbol next to them. Has anybody else experienced this, What can we do? We have tried absolutley everything and updated all software from MAC OS to CS6 itself but nothing seems to help on the long run.

Any further information required?

M. Miller

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Why do you think you can rule out the network? That's the most likely culprit. The problem is probably a changed timestamp or archive bit, and that can be caused by backup routines or virus scans.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links
            WEFRA Administrator Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply.
            We actually noticed that there also seems to be something wrong with the timestamps:
            If we open the infos via the MAC finder to a file (.psd e.g.) which is linked in one of our indesign files, it states a certain date of creation.
            If we then switch to the Indesign file we just opened in which we had to update all links and open the infos to exactly the same file we looked at in the finder, a different date of creation is stated. So there also seems to be a mistake here (hope it's clear what I mean).

We are ruling out our network as the error cannot be "re-enacted". We have created numerous test files in Indesign (simple white page containing one link to a .psd file which is also used in one of the supposedly defective files) and have opened them on various MACs with various OS versions over the past days/weeks but unfortunately the files open without any notifications or errors.

Just as a background: a few months ago, the problem seemed to occur between MACs with differing OS, 10.6 - 10.8 at first. A file which was created on a 10.6 MAC could not be opened without updating all links on a 10.8 MAC. That is why we updated everything to 10.8. The error did not occur for about 2-3 weeks but then reoccured again.?

Have you heard anything similar?

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links

There was also a problem with one version of Suitcase that caused links to be reported as out of date, as I recall.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links
                WEFRA Administrator Level 1

Good tip, unfortunately, we use Linotype FontExplorer.

Could it though maybe result from a past Suitcase installation, e.g. if Suitcase was used back in the past and is still having an effect on our files today for some unknown reason?
                (just trying to think in all directions as nothing has really helped so far)

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 on MACs with OS 10.8 are having problems with links

I wouldn't rule out FontExplorer either, but I'm not sure I've seen it associated here with link problems. I would make sure, though, that if you no longer use Suticase all vestiges are removed from your systems and you clear the font caches and delete the Adobefnt*.lst files whre * is a two-digit number.

I think scanners and backups are probably the two biggest suspects, still, for timestamp or archive bit changes that would trigger an out-of-date warning (and the time change in the US could have done it, too).