3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 10:22 AM by Ned Murphy

Sending Flash greeting card to multiple recipients with personalization

KenYoder Level 1

Hello. 

We are creating a greeting card in Flash and I need to send it to several people and enable others in my company to also send it to their contacts.  I want the end panel to read something like "Dear [Client Name], Season's Greetings from [name] and [organization].  The card will be distributed via a link in an email.  I think I will create one presentation for each employee so that their name will be on the end panel. 

Is there a way to embed text strings in the email hyperlink so that when the user clicks the link, Flash will add those strings to the presentation?  I really appreciate any help you can offer!

• 1. Re: Sending Flash greeting card to multiple recipients with personalization
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are probably a few ways you could approach this.  One that comes to mind is that you could link to a php file that uses the url variables (the string info you want to pass) and dynamically creates the web page code for the Flash, including the parameters as FlashVars in the embedding code.

Otherwise, I think there are ways to have Flash get its hands on the url of the page it sits in, which would contain the data you want to send, though it probably has to be processed via using javascript - which could mean making use of the ExternalInterface class that Flash has.  Someone else might be able to explain a solution in that regard., or you might be able to find one via searching Google using terms like ... "AS3 get page url"... I just checked and there are a number of hopeful results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AS3+get+page+url

• 2. Re: Sending Flash greeting card to multiple recipients with personalization
            KenYoder Level 1

Thanks Ned.  Actually what I'm trying to do is embed the recipient's name in the hyperlink that the client will be sending out in an email.  If I can also embed the sender's name that would be a bonus!  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Sending Flash greeting card to multiple recipients with personalization
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, that is what I read from your first posting.  If you look at the link I provided in my last reply you will see that it embeds some data that follows the question mark.  That is where you will embed the data you want for the url.  If you are not familiar with hiow that is done, the format is basically....

http:/www.someurl.com/somepage?data1=name1&data2=name2&data3=name3... etc

So in your case you'd be using the names where I show name1 and name2, etc... (data1, etc are arbitrary variable names)

What you need is something waiting at the url that extracts that information and my first posting describes a couple of ideas for that.  A PHP program is geared for extracting those variables almost directly.

One thing you could also consider is not using the actual names in the url, but instead using some codenames that you use to look up the real names in a separate data file, but that is just an enhancement on the task you need to take care of.

1 person found this helpful