12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 4:44 AM by john6strong

Adding music files to Premiere Elements

Loren S Level 1

How do I add a music file on my hard drive to a project?

• 1. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the format of those music files?

Normally, one would use Add Media (PrE 11 & 12), or Get Media (most previous versions), and then Folders & Files, navigating to the location of those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Loren S

Best post what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and the computer operating system on which it is running.

And, as Hunt has asked "What are the properties of these music files....iTunes based, mp3, AAC, wav?

The following is an Adobe document about opportunities for adding media to a project (this document appears to demo as version 11 but will give you an idea about the task). For version specific information, please supply the appropriate details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Oops. I just noticed that I did not put the link for the Adobe document to which I referred. This is what I had intended to include

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS8E086945-8338-478a-9083-710C2F9B1DA9. html

• 3. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For conversion of iTunes music to another format, to better allow for Import into PrE, this Apple article might prove useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And I would add that, whenever possible, you use WAV files as music sources. You'll get the best response and performance from the program if you do.

• 5. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree completely. Going from iTunes to MP3 (if not in that format already), will introduce more compression, and loss in fidelity. PCM/WAV is uncompressed, and will use all of the data in the Audio file - it cannot restore any data, lost in any initial compression, but will not introduce any more compression, which will = quality loss.

Great point, and one that needs to stated - thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt and SG

Appreciate your perspectives, but I have yet to run into a .mp3 issue in Premiere Elements (any version).

Although the generalization .wav versus .mp3 is a helpful guideline, I do not see the use of .mp3 in Premiere Elements as a deal breaker when it comes to project source media.

ATR

Add On...note I am talking generalization and not excluding a specific circumstance.

• 7. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

If one likes the loss of fidelity, when compressing to MP3, that is fine. However, if one wishes the highest fidelity, then MP3 is not the way that I suggest one go. If one is starting with a previously compressed source file, then adding another level of compression will be heard.

I personally am not a fan of MP3, but others do not seem to mind.

To demonstrate the differences for a friend, I played the same song (once from my iPod in its dock, and the other from a regular AudioCD, though my home theater system). The differences were clearly heard.

Now, for portable music, and just personal listening, MP3 is adequate - if one does not listen critically.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I am aware of your preferences for audio. I am not a fan of any particular audio format for any particular device. I go with what works for me. And, I will not labor the point beyond this particular post. So, last post on this in this thread.

"If one likes the loss of fidelity..." and "if one does not listen critically" are unfair and are being tainted by your preference and does not compromise the music needs for the here and now for most users. Some drink the wine with friends and enjoy it and do not necessarily study it.

Onward.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The disdain for the MP3 compression is voiced by so very many, that I could, in no way, take credit for it. However, I do find it to be less than an ideal format, beyond an iPod. If one cannot hear the difference, then there should be nothing stopping them from using such a heavily compressed format.

Most professional DVD/BD producers, who work with much Audio, also dislike the DD AC3 format too, and refuse to use it, opting for PCM/WAV instead.

Just a fact of life - compression can alter a source (Audio, or Video), to the point that many will not use it, or will use it sparingly.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Loren S

Your original question went to how to, not necessary what to. Both are important aspects of working with music files in Premiere Elements.

Is your question a "wondering how to" or were you having problems importing some of your music files and the prompted you to start the thread?

Looking forward to your reply, especially including what version of Premiere Elements you are using and on what computer operating system you are running it? And, of course, the properties of the music files would be an important inclusion in that requested information.

We all look forward to helping you move forward with your Premiere Elements project(s).

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                              jazztomato Level 1

In Expert View open Project Assets. Right click inside and a menu for importing opens. Select "get media from" > "files and folders."  Then navigate to your music and "open." It imports into the project assets.

Another method is to drag and drop the music into project assets.  To accomplish this, remember to "pin" the assets area open.

• 12. Re: Adding music files to Premiere Elements
                                john6strong Level 1

Normally, iTunes would not allow any of their music to downloaded in Premiere Elements because of the protection of AAC formats. There is a quick work around, or I'm outdated because what I'm about to explain is not new.

1. Duplicate the song from iTunes by dragging it from your music library to your desktop

2. In Premiere Elements (I'm using 15), click File

3. Scroll down to Add Media From

4. Click Files and Folders

5. Open your desktop and the song should be there

6. Click on the song and press import at the bottom right corner of opened window.

7. The song should immediately appear in your Project Asset window

8. Click and drag the song on the last bar titled music (must be in expert mode)

9. You can adjust the song to the length of your video

I hope this helps, it worked for me.