4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

"MPEG 2 long GOP" codec

rtprtp Level 1

Does PE11 work with the above codec from a Sony PMW-350 XDCAM?

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: "MPEG 2 long GOP" codec
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stan,

I do not have any first hand information on this Sony PMW-305 XDCAM footage which I have seen described as

"MPEG-2 Long GOP Codec with MP4 format". Everywhere I look I see that it cannot be imported even into Premiere Pro CS6 and some earlier versions of Premiere Pro.

Since those more expensive products do not support this footage and all reports speak to conversion to import into Pro, I am 99.9% sure that Premiere Elements 11 or 12 is going to support it also.

Have you tried it, and it would not import?

ATR

• 2. Re: "MPEG 2 long GOP" codec
            rtprtp Level 1

ATR

I have not tried. I need to hire a cameraman and he is first offering P2 recording. I have been told that PE 11 does not import P2. So I was looking for an alternative, so he offered the XD CAM.

So if I understand your comment, your are saying that most likely I can not import the XD CAM files, correct?

Thx, Stan

• 3. Re: "MPEG 2 long GOP" codec
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stan,

That is the impression that I get.

Do you now have Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Windows?

We could try two approaches to figuring this out unless someone here has looked that footage in Premiere Elements.

1. You could download and install the free 30 day Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe.

or

2. You could post a link (maybe Dropbox or the like) to a download of a very small clip of the footage (maybe some trees), and I will try to import and work with it in Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Windows and let you know the outcome.

or

3. We could be guided my online reports of the incompatibility of the format in Premiere Pro CS6.

We will be watching for your decision.

ATR

• 4. Re: "MPEG 2 long GOP" codec
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR & Stan,

For a full discussion on Premiere Pro CC (Creative Cloud) XDCAM footage, see this Adobe article: http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/premiere/cs6/pdfs/adobe-premiere-pro-cs 6-sony-xd-cam.pdf

See page 7 for the details of the various XDCAM formats supported.

Hope that this helps, though it does NOT answer any questions about XDCAM support in Premiere Elements.

Hunt