1 2 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 8:33 AM by A.T. Romano

I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer

frank7705 Level 1

After I created a movie in premier elements 12 and then published and saved it to my computer, I tried to open the icon on the computer.  I just got a black screen that played for several minutes.

• 1. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

frank7705

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Part of the critical answers are going to be in what your export choice was and the export settings that you used?

Publish+Share

Computer

then what..... or something else?

So to help you, please include details such as

1. Properties of Source Media that went to Timeline

2. Project preset

3. Export Details

4. Name of computer player

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
            frank7705 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thank you for your response.

I am running premier elements 12 on Windows 8.

1.       The source media was MVI

2.       I tried several project presets – M2T AND MP4

3.       I tried several export details – MPEG, AVCHD, AND XAVC-S

4.       The computer player that popped up one time using MPEG  and MP4 was My Music and all I got was the audio with a black screen with audio only.   One time I did get video with an icon called “Video” when I used XAVC-S but most of the tract was black except for the last 30 seconds out of a 3 minute stretch.  Even then  the quality was not good.  I didn’t try the HD version as it seemed it would take forever to complete.  How good is this HD application?  Is it worth the wait?  The quality of the others is not very  good.

I would like  to have some routine  by which I could use a thumb drive to transfer video to another computer or make an HD DVD.

Thanks for your help,  Frank

• 3. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

frank7705

You say that your source media is MVI. Are you referring to Musical Video Interactive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVI

I have not run into that before.

What are the properties (frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, progressive or interlaced, etc) of what you imported? What project preset did you use for this project?

Can we assume that this MVI could be imported and edited in Premiere Elements 12 and looked OK as reflected in the playback of the rendered Timeline in the Edit Mode monitor?

Why did you use the XAVC-S?

Please give the details of your source and your project settings and what you target audience is and we will try to put the details together for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                frank7705 Level 1

Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:19 PM

To: frank7705

Subject: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer

Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5840916#5840916

• 5. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                  frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

I don’t know what happened to my response I just sent, let me try again a different way.

The file extension is AVI, not MVI – Sorry

The frame size is 24mb, frame width is 1024, frame length is 768, aspect ratio is 4:3, data rate is 20023, frame rate is 15.   I have no info on progressive/interlaced.

The AVI clip looked fine in the playback on the timeline in the edit mode.

I don’t know the difference between XAVC-S and the others.  The HD one took too long.  Which one should I use.  I am new to premier elements.

I used M2T

The source was a Canon PowerShot SD700.  I want to also try an iPhone video.  The audience is non-technical friends to whom I want to give these movies on a thumb drive or DVD.  I don’t want them to have do download some app to open the movies, hopefully they can use the imbedded apps in windows or apple.

Frank

• 6. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank

I was just about to call it a day. Very late were I am.

But, I did some homework on your details. If you are using the Canon SD700, then your video properties are not as you described...please double check...this is what I found..

a. Your choices are 640 x 480, 320 x 240, and 160 x 120. And your frame rate choices are 30 or 15 frames per second.

Your video has MotionJPEG video compression and an .avi file extension. MotionJPEG.avi can be highly problematic for Premiere Elements to import so it is interesting and good that you were able to import this if this is what you have.

Is it possible for you to shoot at 30 frames per second rather than 15?

b. Once we are in sync on your source video, then we need to get details on your choice of export and the settings that you used.

For now keep away from the HD exports especially if you are shooting SD.

Please confirm the above and/or supply more details, and I will check your thread in the morning so that we can move forward in resolving your Premiere Elements workflow issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                      frank7705 Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your great help.  Sorry to keep you up late.  I was able to make a decent movie  using  AVCHD and M2T H264 1920x1080i 30fps. Guess  that was overkill for this movie?  It  became a huge file (1.2G) for 4-5 minutes,  is that normal?  Do you think I would get a better result in quality, etc. if I used the iPhone 5S which I think has a better camera than the old Canon?  If so,  what settings do you recommend? Also I am thinking of getting a new camera that may be more  compatible with Premiere Elements.  Do you have any recommendations?  I would like to get a pocket camera as I already have a DSLR which does not  work with video and I use only for stills.   I  would like to get HD movies with a new camera if that is possible.  Which exports and settings are best for HD?

Thanks again, Frank

PS/  I will check to see if I can shoot as 30fps.

• 8. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

In an ideal world, one should start with a Project Setting, that matches the Source Files. That was why ATR was asking for all that information. In many cases, PrE 11 & 12 can adjust the Project Preset, to match the attributes of the first Video Clip added to the Timeline. However, it can get confused, depending on that Source Footage. When that happens, one should manually set the Project to match the Source Footage, and "force" PrE to use that.

Also, as ATR points out, MJPEG can be a bit problematic, but that you WERE able to Import the footage, and edit it, means that, other than PrE perhaps getting confused by it, you have the necessary CODEC's for that flavor of MJPEG. That is good news.

As for questions on iPhone Source Footage, there is a potential issue too - many phone cameras shoot Video with a variable Frame Rate, based on the scene. That variable Frame Rate can create other issues, but with a bit of work, can usually be handled.

If shopping for a new camera, I would look into one that shoots HD (High Definition) in AVCHD format, using the established H.264 CODEC. Were I buying, I would also pass on any that recorded DD 5.1 SS (Dolby Digital Surround Sound), as that technique often has issues, when editing. It can be done, and PrE does support DD 5.1 SS, as an Audio Source, BUT the actual recording often introduces unwanted "noise" in the Audio. A 2-Channel, Stereo, Audio Stream would actually be better. [More on that, if you want it.]

Within the AVCHD HD cameras, there is a very wide-range of products on the market, starting at a few $100 to many $1,000's. Other than features, and the glass in the lenses, they are really not THAT different in output.

Just wanted to address two of your questions, and I will step back, as you and ATR are narrowing down the issues, and getting you closer to the output that you desire - I feel that you are almost there!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, for a bit of background on Project Presets in PrE 11 & 12, see this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1334937?tstart=0

What you will want to do is read ATR's Reply #1, and also read his Blog, linked in his Reply. That will solve a lot of issues, regarding the initial Project setup, which is important.

Good luck, and do not skip the linked Blog - lot of great, and useful info in it.

Hunt

• 10. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

There are several factors that go into file size. And, often the user can alter the bitrate of the export (under Advanced Button/Video Tab of the export preset) to find a good compromise between file size and quality. For as it goes, lower the bitrate, the lower the file size, but the lower the quality. And, higher the bitrate, the greater the file size, but the better the quality.

But, let me focus on your situation....if I am correct, the highest resolution that your Canon offers is SD 640 x 480 4:3. Trying to export that at HD 16:9 has its pitfalls. One of them is an increased file size related to the increased frame size. Roughly, an example.....

Say a 20 second clip

If you used Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with that M2T H264 1920 x 1080i30 project preset, you might get a file with a file size of 127 MB

If you used that same preset M2T H264 1920 x 1080i30 but changed the frame size to 720 x 480 4:3 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, that file size of the export would likely be 61 MB.

We can talk about future projects and cameras next, but this is what I would like you to try if I have the correct information about your camera.

1. Open a new project and go to the Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project. In the new project dialog that opens, set the project preset at NTSC DV Standard. Make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project" and then close the new project dialog.

2. In the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, then import your 640 x 480 into the project via the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

3. When you get to export, try

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and the preset MP4 - NTSC DV Standard

At the bottom of the export area, note the expected file size. As a control, run the same export with MP4 H264 1920 x 1080p30. Compare file sizes and what you have in each case.

If you purchase a new camera that offers HD resolutions, no doubt the formats will be more resource demanding than the use of what you have now.

Thanks.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                              frank7705 Level 1

Thanks for all the good info, I will try what you are suggesting and get back to you.

Frank

• 12. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                frank7705 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. ATR has been a big help in educating me on premier elements.

• 13. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank

Trying to catch up for the day and was checking out your thread.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on any of the suggestions.

After we settle with this particular Premiere Elements project, we can discuss your present Premiere Elements and computer resources to decide what is going to work for you if you decide to focus on high definition workflows and more resource demanding video codecs and other properties.

I know you mentioned Premiere Elements 12. Did you mention on what computer operating system it is running? If Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit or Mac 64 bit, you will be in a good position for working with HD workflows.

ATR

• 14. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                    frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

I have spend quite a bit of time working with both Photoshop Elements 12 and Premier Elements since I got your tips – they have made a huge difference and I have decided to buy the  combo package.

Yes, I am very interested in high definition projects and recognize they will be more resource demanding.  I can assume the tips you gave me allow the best quality for the current Canon SD700 which is limited at 720.  I will likely buy a new camera that will give me better HD and more zoom.  I welcome any suggestions you have for moving in this direction.

I am using Windows 8.1.

Frank

• 15. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank7705

Sounds like progress. Great.

Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 should do just fine on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Photoshop Elements 12 continues to be a 32 bit application, but Premiere Elements 12 will be a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and consequently can take advantage of the 64 bit system resources.

I would go with at least 8 GB installed RAM and about 931 GB free hard drive space.

I had some rough goings with Premiere Elements 12, but the issues were confined to extremely slow start up for File Menu/New/Project and extremely slow closing whether the project was saved or not. After a lot of troubleshooting, the problems are gone. More on that another time. During all of those problems, the performance editing, exporting of the program was good.

But, do the mini test runs before the grand projects. You should be pleased with the results. I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. So, if need be, we can troubleshoot your issues (hope none) by direct comparisons.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

• 16. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                        frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

I am currently reading your blog and the thread between you and Steve. The blog is well written and clear to me.  I am having a little trouble following the Steve thread but that is just me being a little thick. 

Anyway, looks like I am well positioned for working with premier 12.  I do have 8GB RAM and about 800GB free hard drive space.

I am starting to get serious about a new camera – any suggestions on what works well with premier elements.  I have a Nikon D90 DSLR which I will not be replacing, but I plan to replace the small camera, the Canon SD700 which I have had for almost 10 years.  It is a nice camera but I want to get better HD.

Thanks again, Frank

• 17. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

Thanks for checking out the blog. With regard to Steve's thread and his questions about project presets and export settings, please do not hesitate to ask if you see anything in that thread that needs clarification. Others may have the same questions. When I am exploring a new area, sometimes for want of a word the key to the message is not coming through.

I am not much on camera recommendations. Everything is so expensive these days, and there is always one more new must have camera. Best check out online reviews and chats with the people in the retail stores' Electronic Departments. Look for the best deal along with the most reliable product with the feature set that you want.

What are you aiming at, DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc? Blu-ray is going to mean Blu-ray burner, Blu-ray discs. Premiere Elements will supply the Blu-ray software. Nearly forgot, Blu-ray player.

The following on camcorder buyer guide is probably outdated since it is vintage 2012, but it looked interesting

http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorder-buying-guide/

1080p is probably preferred than 1080i for sharpness (Premiere Elements..see NTSC DSLR 1080p as well as NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60.)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413044,00.asp

Lots to think about.

ATR

• 18. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                            frank7705 Level 1

Bill, thanks for your input.  It has been helpful particularly regarding the camera and iPhone.

• 19. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

You are most welcome. We attempt to help everyone, any way that we can.

As ATR points out, the video camera market is constantly changing - new ones quarterly, and some produce files that PrE cannot comfortably handle. Even PrPro lags a bit behind, but because of its target market, catches up more quickly, than with PrE. Just over the last six, or so, months, three new pro-cameras have been released, and then variations on others.

I used to feel that a video camera should be a video camera, and a stills camera should be a stills camera. That was then, and this is now. I am starting to feel that many of the popular DSLR cameras, that also do a good job with video, are the wave of the future, until one gets into the full-pro arena - even then, Hollywood is shooting more material on DSLR's, and the marketplace is stepping up, with gear to accommodate that. Also, the folk on the West Coast are starting to do more with the various Go-Pro cameras, especially when POV is being used. What was "gospel," but a few years ago, is falling by the wayside, and it is tough to keep up. I may upgrade my Nikon, and add a Go-Pro Black (or whatever it is, at the moment of purchase). Of course, the Nikon is MY choice, since I have a full system of Nikkor lenses.

Once, I could keep current on stills cameras, and knew the complete lineup from Nikon, plus all of their lenses. I also knew Hassleblad, Canon and Leica, but that all changed, when mfgrs. began releasing some great pro-sumer cameras - and then there was video...

Personally, I find DPReview to be a reliable source for reviews, but there are many more.

Good luck, and contemplating a new camera is part of the fun!

Hunt

• 20. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                frank7705 Level 1

Hi ATR,

To answer your question about what I want - DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc. I am not sure what they mean – what is AVCHD?  When is it appropriate?  For the time being, I would like to have HD films on my computer and be able to put them on a thumb drive for another computer.  Also I would like to burn DVDs in HD.  I do have a blu-ray burner and DVD player but have never used a blu-ray disk or tried to burn one,  Is it worth trying?

I am working with the iPhone 5s videos and find them much better than ones I got from the old Canon - amazing.  I think it has a resolution of 1080p.  I used the AVCHD default on the front end and MP4-H264 1440X1080P for publish and share and got pretty good results with modest film size. What presets do you recommend for these clips that might be even better?

Thanks, Frank

• 21. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

Thinking NTSC setup...

If you go the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc route, your frame size is going to be 720 x 480 be it standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9 (in the case of the widescreen, the 16:9 stretches the video for display after encoding - to about 856 x 480). Bottom line: lesser resolution product than AVCHD DVD or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

AVCHD is video compression. Here we are talking higher resolution product. You can burn AVCHD to DVD disc in Premiere Elements to get the AVCHD DVD which can have resolution 1920 x 1080. However, that AVCHD DVD is not playable on the TV DVD player. Playback is on Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD, some do some do not. Another consideration is the capacity of the DVD discs and this high resolution format. Bottom line: disc capacity will limit how much you can get on the disc.

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. If you have a Blu-ray burner and player and Blu-ray discs (BD-R 25 GB or BD-RE 25 GB), from Premiere Elements, you will get your 1920 x 1080 on Blu-ray disc which will be playable on Blu-ray player.

If you want to burn your Timeline to file for saving to a USB flash drive or memory card for use with your Blu-ray player, then check the specifications of the Blu-ray player in this regard as to what it supports. See if it will support an AVCHD.mp4 file on a USB Flash Drive.

Even if your source media are 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and you set your project preset, as you should, to 1440 x 1080...., when you go to export that Timeline, use the settings for 1920 x 1080 and not 1440 x 1080.... The latter depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. Then you are dependant on the player to recognize that flag. Best go with the 1920 x 1080 which "is what it is...square pixels" and does not require that a player recognize any 16:9 flag to get the 1920 x 1080 display.

More later.

ATR

• 22. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                    frank7705 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well, I am back.  Thanks for the help you did for me above.

Now I am trying to burn a project with a mix of photos and video clips to a DVD in HD.  I used publish+share/disk/DVD-video standard and widescreen both and got poor quality.  I followed your thread with mistycat and tried your suggested senario to burn a oooo.m2ts file from the BDMV Folder which I moved from a disk to the computer desk top and then burned that file using the burner that came with windows (I assume that is the imgBurn program you mentioned).  I was able to play the movie on the computer with good results but the disk with that file was incompatible with the Panasonic Blu Ray DVD player I have.  How can I get a HD movie to play on my DVD player?   Also can I get Photoshop Elements 12 to create a BDMV folder on my computer without having to burn it to a disk and then put it on my computer.  I had to burn it first using the steps you outlined to mistycat, transfer it to the computer and then burn a second disk using the Windows burner.  Seems I had burn two disks to get the final product which still didn't work on the DVD player.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

• 23. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

Good to hear from you. We have a lot to go over.

I would have to review your DVD-VIDEO on DVD situation to decide what is happening there. But for now...

Assuming that the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc matter is one of expectation rather than on poor results, let us explore the AVCHD DVD for your purposes to give you 1920 x 1080 on a DVD disc instead of 720 x 480.

Have you tried taking your Premiere Elements 12 Timeline content and burning it to a DVD disc in AVCHD format. That would be Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc (DVD) with a preset such as

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (this would give you a frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second)

or

H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby (this would give you a frame rate of 23.9 progressive frames per second) NEW to version 12.

If so, were you able to find a player for the AVCHD DVD and did the DVD disc have enough capacity for the project. That is the best way to get the job done. Now if you have problems with the burn to disc for the AVCHD DVD and Premiere Elements, then we can look at the option Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD Folder (4.7 GB). Now here is the place where I suspect that you went off course.

In the saved folder from the AVCHD burn to folder process, is the BDMV Folder. Stop there. You can take that whole BDMV Folder into a 3rd party program such as

ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/

and burn that to a DVD disc as AVCHD DVD or you could take that BDMV Folder to a Blu-ray disc in that ImgBurn program.

The 00000.m2ts file (represents the video) in the BDMV Folder to which I referred does not come into the equation unless you want to copy it and use it as source media in another project. Lots of side details. If you wanted a file on a USB Flash Drive to insert into your Blu-ray player you could explore that 00000.m2ts on the USB Flash Drive to determine if it was compatible with your player to play back that video segment of your project.

Please review the above and let me know if you need more clarification on anything written. I do not want to proceed until I am sure we are in sync on the details.

We will be watching for your comments and questions and then move forward based on them.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 24. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                        frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the excellent instructions - they gave me exactly what I needed to get the desired HD results!  I noticed that the HD files use a lot of disk space - I guess that goes with the territory.  Don't know  what I would do without you. 

Now I just have a little poblem - how can I preview my disk with the title page?  I cannot get back to the page where I inserted the title page.  Somehow I got there in the past but don't remember how.  I would like to select just the title page, not the scene selections.  However the menu choices don't seem to give me that option

Thanks again, Frank.

• 25. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

frank7705

Where are you now in the Premiere Elements 12?

By title page do you mean the main menu of the disc menu or do you mean a title that your created in the Titler and that is part of your Timeline content?

1. If Main Menu...and the Movie Menu section is closed.

Go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu, when you click on Movie Menu, the Movie Menu customization area will open showing the Movie Menu that you had established previously. When finished, click Done. If you want to change the menu, click Reset and Movie Theme at the top right of the Movie Menu customization area. At that point you will be seeing the display of Movie Menu choices.

2. If Title created in Titler. That should be visible to you. If you want to edit the title, double click it on the Expert workspace to open the Titler and then do your edits. If you are working in the Quick workspace, we can go over that next for Title created in Titler.

Please check out the above and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 26. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                            frank7705 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I meant the main menu.  Your hint solved my problem of finding the menu but I am clueless on how to do editing work with scene selections and markers.  Can you guide me to a tutorial that will help educate me on this?

Another question - Is there a macro that will allow transitions for an entire set of photos.  if I have a lot of photos, it is a pain to do the transitions one at a time.

Still another question -  Is there a way to crop a batch of pictures to the aspect ratio 16:9?

Last question - I find it difficult to reply to your postings.  When  I open the forum discussion page, I see your post but there is no link to reply.  I need to hunt around the website to find a reply link and can never remember where I found it when I have to reply in the future.

Frank 

• 27. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

Typically you will see the "Reply" and "Translate" (NEW) buttons at the bottom right under the post message. And, you click on Reply to respond. But, to see that Reply button you need to be Signed into the Adobe Forms. Are you signed in when you cannot find the Reply button? To make sure that you are signed in go to the top right of the page and look for Welcome, followed by your user name. Please let me know if that works for you. If not, we will think about this some more.

If you want to apply the default transition to a group of Timeline clips, select all the clips at one time, right click anywhere in the selection, select Apply Default Transition. (You could also select all the clips and then go to Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition.) To set a default transition, go to the Transitions Tab and right click the wanted transition. Then click on the pop up "Set Selected as Default Transition".

You can crop (one at a time) using the fxEffects/Transform/Crop. But, I do not think that is what you are looking for. You can batch resize, but not batch crop in Photoshop Elements Full Editor Process Multiple Files. For batch cropping, take a look at IrfanView

http://www.irfanview.com/

For creating disc menus, please take a look at the following Adobe document on the subject

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e 0c.html

I can supplement you with more information after you check out the above and if you need more information on the topic.

Please review. We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks again for your tips - they are helpful and I am progressing  with making a first  class movie in HD.  One question, how can I use the imgBurn program to burn a simple album of jpeg pictures onto a disk that will play on a DVD player?  I tried  to use (1) image files to disk and (2) file folders to disk - (1) showed the folder as empty and (2) showed the jpeg pics which I proceeded to burn and the burn process completed and was verified but the DVD player said the disk was incompatible.  Your thoughts.

Thanks, Frank

• 29. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

If you just use ImgBurn to burn a regular folder of Images, that will NOT play on a DVD player. You will have created a DVD-Data disc. The playback will work fine on a computer, and will play as a SlideShow, if you have an Image Viewer, with that capability - such as ThumbsPlus, or others.

Now, you can create a SlideShow of your Images, with PrE, then author that Project to a DVD-Video (either to disc, or to Folder for burning to disc with a program, such as ImgBurn). That WILL play on a DVD player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

Hunt wrote

If you just use ImgBurn to burn a regular folder of Images, that will NOT play on a DVD player.

Well, not exactly. It will if you use a CD disc instead of a DVD disc. The typical DVD player supports DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc for sure, VCD on CD disc sometimes, and JPEG on CD. I have yet to run into a player that does JPEG DVD.

This is what you do for your JPEG CD and being able to play it back on your DVD player. It worked for mine, let us see if we can get this to work for you.

Given your photos in a folder on the computer hard drive.

Open ImgBurn. Select "Write files/Folders to Disc".

In the interface that opens, go to File Menu/Browse for a Source Folder and do just that, selecting your folder with your photos. Then hit the Select Folder button in the dialog.

Back in the opening interface, go to the Options tab and make sure it shows

Data Type: MODE1/2048

File System: ISO9660+Joliet

Click on the Build button at the bottom right of the interface.

You will get a message showing

Message.JPG

Click Yes and then proceed to obtain your JPEG CD. Each DVD player has its own setup for this. I had to go to Functions section of the DVD recorder/player attached to my TV to play back the jpegs.

I have confined my reply to your question as written related to viewing these photos on a DVD player. If you want to go into the considerations for playing jpegs on the computer, we can do that next.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 31. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I am not sure if there is a misunderstanding here, but:

Well, not exactly. It will if you use a CD disc instead of a DVD disc. The typical DVD player supports DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc for sure, VCD on CD disc sometimes, and JPEG on CD. I have yet to run into a player that does JPEG DVD.

If one just has a folder of JPEG Images, and burns that to a disc (CD, or DVD), I find it hard to believe that you can then play that folder on any DVD player. Which one(s) do you have, that will play a folder of JPEG Images?

With that sort of burn, one has created a DATA disc.

Maybe I will learn of some DVD players that you have, that will play something beyond a VIDEO_TS folder?

Hunt

• 32. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I am not sure why we are not communicating on this one.

DVD Players have long been know to support the JPEG CD.

And everything works as described with the particular DVD Recorder Player that I have. It is attached to a 19 inch LCD TV.

Panasonic DVD Recorder

Model DMR-ES15

These are JPEG photos in a folder that are being burned to a CD disc with ImgBurn. JPEG photos on CD disc with the specific settings cited. Did you read the screenshot from ImgBurn? No DVD-VIDEO, no VCD.

You can use the TV Remote to view them one by one when the CD is placed in the player. Or you can set the Panasonoic to display them in a continuous fashion. Nothing fancy.

So I find your comment surprising...

I find it hard to believe that you can then play that folder on any DVD player. Which one(s) do you have, that will play a folder of JPEG Images?

Did you read the details (including screenshot folder detail) of my ImgBurn burn to CD and the rest. Believe me, this is no special player.

ATR

• 33. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am in the process of testing my various DVD and BD players, with a DVD burned, per your instructions above. So far, I have yet to find a setting on any, that will allow a DVD with the folder with only JPEG images, but have gotten out the manuals for each. More to do in the testing, and will report my progress. So far, not looking good for my equipment, but then there are a lot of manuals to go through, and many setup menus.

More later, and thanks for the info. As I said above, I might just learn something new about my equipment.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 34. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you read the details (including screenshot folder detail) of my ImgBurn burn to CD and the rest. Believe me, this is no special player.

Yes. Now, as we were talking about DVD, I see that you have made mention of CD, though above mention both CD & DVD. My tests are with a DVD, which is not playing in any of my DVD, or BD players. That was why I asked about your equipment.

Hunt

• 35. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

WHY?

I am in the process of testing my various DVD and BD players, with a DVD burned, per your instructions above.

You do not seem to be getting the message. It is the JPEG CD, not a JPEG DVD, that is going to playback on the TV DVD Player. And, it is definitely not "per my instructions above" that you are pursuing a DVD disc in this equation. I specifically wrote "CD" disc, not "DVD" disc.

99.999999999% probability that you will find a DVD player that will play back jpeg on a DVD disc.

I was prepared to give you screenshots of every step of the operation for JPEG CD, but all that is meaningless unless you pursue what I wrote JPEG CD, not JPEG DVD.

Thanks.

ATR

• 36. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I did not see your latest post until after I had posted mine.

"We" were never talking about DVD. "I" was talking about CD from the very first post on this. You were the one introducting DVD into this. Consequently I wrote what I did in reply to that.

Somehow you got stuck on DVD.

Are we in sync on this now. Do I need to post the step by step with screenshots of JPEGs on CD from burn to through playback on the TV DVD player?

ATR

• 37. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                                  frank7705 Level 1

ATR and Hunt,

I had no difficulty burning my jpeg files to a DVD using the burner installed on my HP computer as well as with Cyberlink Power2Go program.  The DVD with jpegs played fine on my Panasonic Blu Ray DVD player. I had to cut and paste the jpeg pics rather than drag them to the E drive.  Based on your conversation, can I assume that there may be some difficulty making this DVD work on other players?

Frank

• 38. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank,

I do not believe that you will be able to play that JPEG DVD on a regular TV DVD Player.

I think you will be going on a case by case basis where you will be dependant on the specifications of a specific player which would be expected to vary from viewer to viewer.

Out of curiousity, what is the model of your Panasonic Blu-ray DVD player. I would like to read the User Manual to get the specifics for its option to playback the JPEG DVD.

Thanks.

ATR

• 39. Re: I cannot open a movie that I published and saved to my computer
                                                                                      frank7705 Level 1

ATR,

To answer your question, my DVD player is a Panasonic Blu Ray DMP-PD85.  It is pretty old, maybe 4years.  My sister has an even older DVD player but I don't know what kind.  I was repeatedly able to burn jpeg photos to a DVD+R DVD using the burner that  comes with the Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion desktop 500-047cb.

Back to burning mixed photo-video DVDs in HD.  I followed your instrutions about  burning to a BDMV folder and then using imgBurn to burn the DVD but had no success this time.  I was successful with a small mixed file I had told you about several weeks ago and thought I could do the same with a larger file.  Well, I put together a file then used the option Publish+Share/Disk/AVCHD Folder(4.7 GB).  The file was 3.2 GB according to Publish+Share.  I got a fatal error message after 3% into the burn cycle.  This happened twice at the same point.  Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks, Frank

1 2 Previous Next