7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 2:37 PM by Chuck Uebele

Smart Objects and Scaling

brooxart Level 1

In Photoshop CC, smart objects that have a layer mask, always say they're at 100% (width and Height) even if they've been resized. If there is NO mask, the correct size appears. I hate this. It wasn't like this before, at least in CS4. Any reasons for this?

• 1. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The layer mask add a new element to the layer, so resets the scaling to 100%.  You can temporarily unlink the mask and get the resized value of the SO.  I don't recall what version this happened, but when SO first came out, the layer wasn't linked to the smart object, which was a real pain!  You couldn't resize a SO and it's layer together. 

• 2. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling
            brooxart Level 1

Thanks, that's a good workaround. I thought I had tried unlinking (when I finally discovered the mask was the culprit) but maybe I didn't wait long enpugh for the numbers to change. Yeah the old SO (in CS 4 the last one I was using before CC) way had the mask get all screwed up when resizing. The only way I ever got around THAT glitch was to click off "Show Transform Controls" temporarily, and scale it that way. (edit--transform--scale) Worked at least.

Thanks Again!

• 3. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling
              OOak Level 1

Is there a video anywhere that will show basic scaling / resizing of objects cut with the lasso tool in a layer? I transitioned from Corel and can't figure this out:-( TIA

• 4. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

csuebele wrote:

The layer mask add a new element to the layer, so resets the scaling to 100%.  You can temporarily unlink the mask and get the resized value of the SO.  I don't recall what version this happened, but when SO first came out, the layer wasn't linked to the smart object, which was a real pain!  You couldn't resize a SO and it's layer together. 

If I had to guess I would say it happened in CS5. For before CS5 while smart object layers could have layer mask they could not be linked to the layer content.  This change in CS5 not only could they be linked they were linked by default.  I did not want that so I had to modify all my scripts to unlink the layer mask for when add in CS5 they were now lined by default.  Still I find it bazaar that when you display the smart object layer contents associated transform which is actually less then or greater then canvas size and less then or greater then the layer mask size when linked Photoshop shows 100% 100% and when you unlink the layer mask shows the true scale.  What is that 100% associated with surly not with what is being displayed.  look at these screen captures and tell me 100% of what??? And why are the cross bars shown when unlinked and not when linked? The smart Object bounding box is always displayed correctly....????

Capture.jpgCapture1.jpgCapture2.jpgCapture3.jpg

• 5. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling

The crossbar only show up when you're actually working on a full smartobject.  when doing so, you can re-edit your transformation withoutlosing any data.  Once a object like a layer mask is introduced, it changes the properties so that you are editing destructively - at least on the mask, so the cross bars don't show.  Same with the percentage.  When the mask is added, it's at 100% and overrides the value of the SO.  the same thing would happen if you select several layers or a group and transform it.

• 6. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop also has a convention about targets and what is targeted in the layer in the layer palette is suppose to have a highlitting frame about it. In the screen captures I tried to target the layer content and not the layer mask yet in two of the cases you state the layer mask is involved because of the link but not highlighted. OK I'll go along with that.  There also seems to be the same type of confinement when one tries to target the Layer mask.   Because of the link the layers content is targeted.  However if the layer is not link only the layer mask will be targeted yet if its a reveal all or a hide all layer mask it can not be transformed in size.  Other layer mask can be transformed but the transform will be from the bounds of the not fully opaque areas.  At times I find Photoshop behavior quite bazaar...Capture4.jpgCapture5.jpgCapture6.jpgCapture7.jpgCapture8.jpg

• 7. Re: Smart Objects and Scaling

I'll admit that it is odd behavior as to why the bounding box does not take in the entire mask area when the layer is selected when linked.  I guest just a limitation or oversight in coding.  I can't reproduce your example of not being able to transfor because the bounding box is empty.  I tried this on several versions of PS and all worked okay.