7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 6:06 PM by A.T. Romano

About settings, presets, and Export settings

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

On the Adobe page here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/project-settings-presets.html

under 'Dynamic sequence preset', it says that 'Elements automatically changes your project settings in the background to match the clip
      properties'.

Does this mean that Elements overrides the presets that you assign to your project when you first go into File | New | Project and if it does, what is the point of setting presets? And does Elements override the presets you assign to your project if you choose the 'Force selected Project Setting on this project'?

Finally, once you have finished editing your clip and you have the opportunity to assign Export (Video and Audio) settings, do those Export settings override the Preset settings and/or the settings Elements assigns to match the clip's own attributes?

In other words, which setting, or which attribute of a project, is the determining one, that is, which has the 'final say', so to speak?

Many thanks.

Steve

• 1. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

In Premiere Elements 11 and 12, the program takes over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first video that you drag to the Timeline. If it cannot match a project preset with the properties of your source media, it give its default which is

NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 (if NTSC install)

PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25 (if PAL install)

In the later cases, it is not giving you the closest to what you have; it is giving you its default.

Please check my blog post on that.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

So, if you are using footage for the first time and are letting the program set the project preset, then check what it has set under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. If it did not do it OK, then you set the project preset manually yourself and then import the media to the Timeline. All described in that blog post.

The major role of the project preset is to instruct the program as to what space to establish in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes. The goal = the project preset should match the properties of your source media. If you have source media of mixed properties, then you need to set priorities in this regard since the program allows you only one project preset.

The project preset does not bind you to an export setting. And the export settings are what you get...final say. That is the abridged version for me. I usually write on longer.

More next time.

Please let me know if I left anything out that you wanted to know and/or you need clarification on anything that I have written.

ATR

• 2. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks for explaining and the link - I think I had better print that off and digest it.

So, if I set my Preset as a NTSC (DV Standard 48kHz) (29.97 fps 720x480) but my clip was actually a PAL (DV Standard 48kHz) (25fps 720x576), Elements would ignore my mistaken Preset settings and consider my clip for what it really is: PAL (DV Standard 48kHz) (25fps 720x576)?

However, the Export settings have the 'final say'? So I could in fact tell Elements 11 when I have completed my editing, etc, that this really is a NTSC (DV Standard 48kHz) (29.97 fps 720x480) clip (when it is not), and it would export/save as such? That is, in the final analysis, Elements 11 'listens to' and is 'governed by' the Export settings?

Thanks for your time.

I'll get around to reading your blog article a little later today.

Steve

• 3. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Focus on the thought that the project preset that you or the project set matches the properties of the source media so that the program is directed to set up a corresponding space in the Edit Mode monitor from which to edit.

Check this out....

If the project preset has been set by you or the project for NTSC DV Standard and you import a PAL DV AVI 4:3 file into that project, the space in the monitor is going to be set for 720 x 480 4:3 project, not a 720 x 576 4:3 PAL project. But in this example, you should not expect to run into any black border because of the situation. Scaling adjustment can be made if the situation did arise.

If you take that Timeline which contains the PAL DV AVI 4:3 and export it, it will be

PAL DV AVI 4:3 if you select Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the preset of DV PAL Standard (see description in export area)

NTSC DV AVI 4:3 if you select Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the preset of DV NTSC Standard (see description in export area)

You definitely do not want to see black borders in the Edit Mode monitor prior to your export. That makes the story even longer. So,

a. know your media properties

b. set the project preset to match those properties - evaluate your rendered Timeline

(the preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" on or off adds to the details....for now we are talking about that preference on and the Magnification of the Edit Mode monitor at "Fit")

c. export choice does not have to be the same as the project settings, but considerations must be taken if you have 4:3 video and are trying to work that into a 16:9 project or vice versa.

Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks again.

I now have six pages of notes in a Word document (including your blog - lots of great advice there) on the subject of settings. I just need to go through them properly.

I think what you are saying is that in the Presets and Export settings, I ought to set them to reflect, as closely as possible, the attributes of the original movie itself, and that I can get these attributes in Edit | Show Properties (as the attached screenshot shows).

If they do not correspond there is a danger of a black frame appearing (it has happened to me) presumably due to the difference in frame width between NTSC and PAL (the latter is wider, isn't it).

The above is what you are indicating, isn't it?

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

I think what you are saying is that in the Presets and Export settings, I ought to set them to reflect, as closely as possible, the attributes of the original movie itself, and that I can get these attributes in Edit | Show Properties (as the attached screenshot shows).

Best property readout comes from (in this order)

MediaInfo (but be careful with download so that you minimize any bloatware)...excellent resource otherwise.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

gspot utility...good for defining presence or absence of essential video and audio codecs.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

sometimes from just reading the brand/model/settings of the camera used to generate the source media

Focus on what you see in the Edit Mode monitor. Scaling there will influence your end result. But changing the Magnification of the Monitor will not. To get at Magnification of monitor, right click monitor and select Magnification.

I keep that on the default "Fit" and prefer to work with Edit Menu/Preferences/General  "Default Scale to Frame Size" selected so that the program sizes the import (as best it can) in accord with the project preset setting. There are times when you might prefer to leave that preference not selected, but that is for another time.

As I said, with Default Scale to Frame Size selected, the program does its best to fit your video into the space which was established by the choice of the project preset. Sometimes the job is complete. Sometimes you need to give it a little nudge scaling.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

I have downloaded those two programmes and will try to familiarise myself with them.

The 'Scale to Frame Size' is usually selected (screenshot).

Thanks again for your advice.

Steve

Scale.jpg

• 7. Re: About settings, presets, and Export settings
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

Thanks for looking into the suggestions.

I do not think there should be any bloatware issues with gspot (but always check), but check out your computer for an uninvited guests after MediaInfo download and install.

Lots of us are using older versions of these programs and do not update because what we have is still valid. But recent downloads by many have run into problems of bloatware when the latest version of MediaInfo program is downloaded and installed. The "extras" can be spotted easily in Control Panel/Programs.

ATR