5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 2:16 PM by Frederic Neema

"Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable

Frederic Neema

I am facing a problem with an action that used to work in the past before I moved to a Mac and PS CC.

Basically, my action processes a pciture in different ways and saves each version in different folders within a main folder on the desktop. The action works fine but as soon as I rename or delete the main folder, the change is reflected in the action which forces me to re-record the "save as" parts of it. I would like to use the same folder structure since I have duplicates of it. 

I tried everything and searched everywhere  but no answer. Is it something new in PS CC or specific to the Mac OS (Maverick)?

Thank you

Frederic Neema

• 1. Re: "Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Break up your actions into small one that process your image the different ways you want. With no save or resize. Then download the image Processor Pro plug-in script from Russell Browns web site and have it use your actions in the process. You can create all the output image files you need. You can save the setup used to create then or record it all into an action for the Plug-in has action support.  Scriptsine has better options when it comes to saving file. The scrip has many save cottons and flexible naming.

Capture.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable
            Frederic Neema Level 1

Thank you, that could be a solution but I have several workflows that need to save to different folders.  I'd  like to understand why this is hapenning in PS CC while it is working fine with PS CS5 and OS 10.8 or windows 7. Bug?

Anyway, here is  test action to explain better what's going on.

Here is my test action with a folder "test" on the desktop. It has two sub-folders, "psd" and "jpg"

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 8.54.05 AM.png

Now,  here what happens when I rename the folder “test” to “test 2”. The action now shows test 2. It happens even if I close PS before renaming the file.

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 8.58.24 AM.png

• 3. Re: "Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I don't use a mac. Its also hard to believe that something inside an action step would change if you rename a file system folder. Photoshop and Mac OS are not object oriented.   I don't even think if you were using an OS that was object oriented like Microsoft/IBM OS2 that if a version of Photoshop was available for OS2 that renaming a File system folder would change the contents of Photoshop action steps. Are you sure you did not rerecord those two steps by double clicking on the steps and Navigate the folder Test 2

• 4. Re: "Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable
                Frederic Neema Level 1

I moved to Mac recently and never had this problem in windows. I have used such actions for years without any problem.

The weird part is that I record the action, stops, plays it without problem, CLOSE PS, rename the folder, RE-OPEN PS and boom, the pathname has changed. I do not know anyone who uses PS CC and Maverick so I cannot check if they have this problem. Friends with an earlier version do not face this strange behavior.

• 5. Re: "Save As" Folder pathname in action not stable
                  Frederic Neema Level 1

I just  found someone with the same configuration: OSX 10.9 Maverick and PS CC. Same issue. Adobe staff, anyone out there ???