5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 12:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?

lucydawson84

I am using adobe elements for the first time on my macbook pro.

I have been editing a .mov file which was recorded on my canon powershot sx40.

The editing went very smoothly and everything played fine whilst editing, no rendering indications, etc as it was a very simple edit.

However, when I exported the movie, both to a quicktime movie, and to a dvd, sections of my video dissappeared and were replaced by a bright red screen.

I have no idea why this is happening or how to rectify it. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using and on which operating system? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime installed, per the program's requirements?

What are your project settings (as listed under the Edit menu)?

What resolution is the video you're bringing in from your camera?

• 2. Re: Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?
            lucydawson84 Level 1

Adobe Premier Elements 11 - Currently Using Mac OS X 10.9 - Maverick (Although I also tried it on the previous OS before Updating)

I have the latest quicktime.

Project Settings:

General - Editing Mode: AVCHD 720p Square Pixel

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Video - Frame Size: 1280/720

Pixel aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: No Fields (Progresive Scan)

Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Title Safe Area: 20%/20%

Action Safe Area: 10%/10%

Capture: HDV

Video Rendering- File Format: I-Frame Only MPEG

Compressor: MPEG I Frame

Video Resolution is HD 1280/720

Codecs: H.264 Linear PCM

The video is in one section, I have not chopped it up, only adding titles and transitions at the beginning and the end, but the video turns red somewhere in the middle quite randomly. The sound however continues.

The video plays fine on the timeline, and the clip itself plays fine on quicktime before editing.

• 3. Re: Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that sticks out in those data is the HDV Project. HDV is for HD mini-DV tape-based footage, and not AVCHD footage, which is what you have.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This might not end up being useful to you, but another Mac-user on the Premiere Pro Forum, is having similar issues: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1335329?tstart=0

I know that they are NOT using Premiere Elements, but instead PrPro CC, but the issue seems similar enough, that you might want to also watch that thread. So far, no one has responded over there.

Good luck, and wish that I had more to offer.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why are sections of my video exporting as a bright red screen?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lucydawson84

What you are seeing in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is perfectly normal. So is the what you are seeing for Edit menu/Project Settings/Capture and Video Render there. So, I am not sure where Hunt is coming from with the HDV comment.

I have looked at a sample of video from your brand/model camera via a QuickTime export and do not see the problem that you describe. The sample video is

1280 x 720

29.97 frames per second

AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 file extension.

I used the Premiere Elements 11 project preset of NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30 which appears to be what you or the program selected as well.

Consider creating a new project with the same NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30 project preset and importing only a video clip. Do nothing to the video clip and export it to a H.264.mov file saved to the hard drive. Determine if the red areas appear in this video.

QuickTime.JPG

What did you do with the Bitrate Settings? Leave without check mark or with check mark and filled in bitrate in kbps (kilobits per second)?

We will be watching for your follow up. I will look at the DVD-VIDEO side of this later.

Thanks.

ATR