2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2008 1:43 PM by Ansury

How can Flex/Builder/AS3/Web/Air  family become a major platform/tool in an already crowded marketplace. ?

yoav@cyteam.com
      I have been evaluating FB/Air/AS3 for over a month now and consider it to be a worthy platform and environment for serious enterprise/web applications. Overlooking obvious issues of some missing features, stability and developer support, which hopefully be resolved.
      I see a great potential for it to become the backbone of a new generation of applications. In the same way that Dreamweaver & Photoshop became the “tool of the trade” for professional web designers & graphic artists, the AS3/Flex/Air family can become mainstay of professional SW application developers.
      However, my main concern is ..will it ? as a professional enterprise systems and application developer and manager for many years I have seen multitude of commercial (and open source) platform/tools launched with much fanfare and then withered away with only a small following.
      The only way to succeed is to gain a significant foothold within the SW developers community, which is a major challenge for Adobe, as it is a late comer to an environment crowded already with major players who already mustered a large communities of developers.
      Learning a new environment/language/tools is a major undertaking and investment for an individual developer and more for complete teams. It takes 3-6 months to become sufficient and much more to become really good.
      So any individual or team will have major concerns for such an investment, they will have to be convinced mainly of two things: one, it’s a superior product that can get the job done faster and better, two, it will be there for the long run as a major player.

I currently see a relative small community (judging by this forum activity) that must grow significantly faster to establish a critical mass.

So is Abobe doing all it can to gather the momentum and gain the hearts and minds of the developers community ? what else should/could they do ? what else could we the early-adaptor developer community do ?

Hope this is the right place and forum to share my thoughts, as we face the new year.
      Please add your thoughts and suggestions as we all want to see our investment succeed.

I wish you all a great and happy 2008

Yoav
        • 1. Re: How can Flex/Builder/AS3/Web/Air  family become a major platform/tool in an already crowded marketplace. ?
          cyberKafka
          Yoav,
          I think that by building on the already big user Base of AS and flash, Adobe have secured a solution for the initial run of the platform. Without any doubt, if AIR will not have thousands of users posting code and sharing information, it will collapse, Similar coding languages are around and will happily take it's place.
          At the moment, this is the main forum for Air developers, there are a few others forums and websites which are Flex/Actionscript related, The answer to your question I believe lies there. From my own experience and the team around me, there are alot of gaps and holes in the architecture, some gaps are being filled (note BlazeDS..) some other will take more time to fill.
          The early adopters developers will have to suffer and hope for the best, it's always the case, we cannot do more then contributing on the forums, send emails and release as much code as possible. As to your question regarding the future, it will only be answered by the great force of time.
          K
          • 2. Re: How can Flex/Builder/AS3/Web/Air  family become a major platform/tool in an already crowded marketplace. ?
            Ansury Level 3
            Flex has a good chance -- on top of what was already said, most of the alternatives for RIAs suck. (Yay for "hacky Ajax RIAs"? lol)

I guess people just haven't realized how much what they're currently using sucks yet. Hopefully that'll change soon. Basically it's up to people currently using it to prove the technology's worthiness before everyone else is brave enough to abandon their precious (and crummy) "industry standards".

And do some browsing for who's adopting (or at least "moving towards") Flex: Ebay, Yahoo, Google... (sounds good to me)