21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 12:29 PM by Chuck Uebele

How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

teetime17

I have a 3ds model of a golf ball I purchased. It imports properly into my Photoshop CC. I haven't been able to figure out how to apply an image (my logo) to the surface of the golf ball. Also, the golf ball has a dimpled surface so I will want the image to follow the contours of the ball, as if it would look if the logo were painted onto a real golf ball.

EDIT: Also, I want to keep the golf ball as a 3d object so I can animate it in a scene.

Thanks, Jerry

• 1. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You put your logo into the diffuse color texture.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
            teetime17 Level 1

Mylenium, thanks for your response but unfortunately I'm still missing something here. I have two problems:

1. I don't understand how to size the logo to only cover a small portion of the golf ball. Because of the other problem I'll describe in 2) below, I simplified my test by trying this on a basic PS sphere. I loaded the logo image into the diffuse texture but it wraps the sphere. I tried editing the texture thinking I could fix it by using Transform scale, but that is greyed out. So, how do I cause the logo to apply to a small portion of the surface (as a traditional golf ball logo would appear)?

2. Perhaps the bigger issue here is when I attempt to do this with the golf ball 3ds model instead of the PS sphere, the wrapped logo appears to be sitting somewhere between the outer surface of the ball and the inner core. In other words, the wrapped logo has a very sporadic appearance where it shows up in some dimples but not others. It isn't just applying to the surface of the ball. Thinking this might have been a problem with the .3ds model I acquired an .obj golf ball from a different source but it exhibited exactly the same problem.

I'm experienced with PS and 3D in a couple of other programs, but new to 3D in PS. I appreciate your help with this.

Jerry

• 3. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
              Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would create you sphere with the ratio 3.14 to 1 for proper aspect.  You can then either do as Mylenium said, or you can create the logo in a layer above your sphere then use ctrl-E to merge down the logo onto the sphere.  Just select the logo.

sphere 1.jpg

sphere 2.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                teetime17 Level 1

Thanks for the reply csuebele. I had tried what you suggest. Your example image is exactly what I am looking for EXCEPT the logo needs to conform to the dimpled surface of the .3ds golf ball. Putting the logo on a layer and merging down (with multiply) doesn't really conform to the dimples. If I could figure out a way to use the golf ball as a bump map for the logo image then I think your technique would work for me.

Jerry

• 5. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

How are the dimples created?  Are they actually 3D bumpmap or just a pixel image of the dimples.  I'm assumng the later, so you could use that as a displacement map. 

• 6. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                    teetime17 Level 1

the golf ball is a true 3d model. It is made up of several thousand polygons.

• 7. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

Interesting.  The logo should conform if the model is indeed 3D.  In your previous post, you mentioned merged down with "Multiply."  I'm not sure what you meant by that, as by selecting the logo layer and pressing ctrl-E should just merge it with the diffuse layer of the golf ball.  You could still try editing the diffuse layer after you merge the logo down, as then you would know where to place the logo and the size.

• 8. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                        teetime17 Level 1

In the case of merge I may have been doing it incorrectly.I am away from my computer until Monday but will check out your suggestion then.

• 9. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                          teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, by more carefully following your instructions and screen shots I am able to add the logo. But I still have a bit of a problem. After I do the merge down my logo looks mottled. The image is a high quality png and it worked well with this .3ds golf ball in another 3d program (Swift3D). Do you have any suggestions that might resolve this in Photoshop?

Here is my screen before the merge down:

Capture1.JPG

And after the merge down, note the mottled look:

Capture2.JPG

• 10. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

Does the image still look mottled after you render the image?  If so, you might want to increase the size of your diffuse map.  You can open it in the properties panel and increase the size.  It should still conform to the original 3D object, but will have a higer resolution.  Then try applying the logo again.  You can also see how the logo looks in the diffusion map and positioning it in the actual map, now that you know where it is and the size.

• 11. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                              teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, thanks for sticking with me on this. Yes, the image was rendered. I tried increasing the size of the diffuse map, and of the original image, but neither made any difference. If you, or someone else cares to take a look at the files I am working with I have uploaded them to my dropbox. There you will find the .3ds golfball and the .png logo. This might be the easiest way to determine whether it is PS or me.

Thx, Jerry

• 12. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

Here's my try.  There were some issues with the logo appearing in odd places, which I don't understand, but I did get the logo looking good.  I started out with a 3000X3000px file, to which I added the golf ball.  I then opened the difuse textures and increased its size to 5000X5000 px.  I also changed the Paint system to "Projection."

golf ball test cc.jpg

golf ball test cc 2.jpg

• 13. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                  teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, that is definitely what I'm looking for but I'm still doing something wrong. When I attempt to follow your instructions I get an even more mottled logo. Let me detail what I'm doing and hopefully you can spot my error.

1. Open the logo file and resize to 3000x3000 using retain detail.
                                  2. Open the golf ball file.
                                  3. Duplicate the golf ball layer to the logo file, putting the golf ball layer below the logo layer.
                                  4. Shift drag the corner of the logo file to so the proportions are correct, or alternatively I brought the golf ball forward in the scene until the logo/ball proportions were correct.
                                  5. Edited diffuse texture and set to projection.
                                  6. Selected the Logo layer and Ctrl E to merge down. At this point it is very mottled.
                                  7. Now when I edit the diffuse texture it is "exploded" and the psb file size is 1024x1024, rather than the 3000x3000 I was expecting.

Where am I going wrong?

• 14. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

Several things you're doing differently.

1. create new document 3000X3000px.  This is a blank layer.

2. From 3D menu open golf ball file by selecting "New 3D Layer from File."

3. Select Golf Ball layer and change "Paint System" to "Projection.

4. Open diffuse texture map from golf ball layer and resize it to 5000X5000 px.  Save and close.

5. Drag Logo layer into golf ball file (I opened it then dragged it over, but you could also use "Place," but you might have to rasterize the layer prior to merging it down - not sure on that.  Logo layer should be just above golf ball layer.

6. Select just logo layer and use ctrl/cmd-E to merge down.

The key is to size the diffuse layer of the golf ball before you merge the logo.  I didn't size the logo layer at all in my example, but you could, to have it fit the way you want it to.

• 15. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                      teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, again thanks for leading me through this exercise. Hopefully only one more question for you. I am using Photoshop CC and am unsure how to accomplish step 4. I see two entries under diffuse texture for the golf ball layer: nosm and sm. If I double click either I am editing the .psb file. It is 1024x1024. If I resize it to 5000x5000 and save it, then reopen it via double click on nosm or sm the size is still 1024x1024. If I proceed with steps 5 and 6 I still have the mottled logo. So it seems this is the key step I am missing. I've searched online and come up empty for resizing diffuse texture map.

• 16. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                        teetime17 Level 1

Ok, I got beyond step 4. If others run into the same problem as me, here is what I did at step 4: Create a new diffuse texture, name it "Logo" and size it 5000x5000.

Then, at the end of step 5, rename the logo layer to "Logo". Now, doing the ctrl-E merge down causes the logo to be placed in the new 5000x5000 diffuse texture map.

I too am having the problem with pieces of the logo appearing elsewhere - I'll report back if I find a solution to that.

csuebele, I am very appreciative of your help with this!!

• 17. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

If an solution can't be found for the random pieces of the logo appearing elsewhere, as a last resort you can do thie:

After getting all the settings the way you want them - lights, position, etc. make a duplicate copy of the 3D golf ball layer then re-edit the diffusion layer to eliminate the logo.  Now you will have your plain golf ball, and you can mask out the area where the logo isn't suppose to be.

• 18. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                            teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, I am experimenting with a different .3ds golf ball model. It does not exhibit the problem with fragments of the logo appearing in random places. However, the technique we used to eliminate the smearing/mottling isn't working on this ball. I have tried using texture map sizes ranging from 3000x3000 pixels through 5000x5000 to 10000x10000 but the mottling persists. Was there any logic that led you to select 5000x5000 on the previous model that I might use on this new one?

• 19. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                              teetime17 Level 1

csuebele, On the new .3ds golfball I found that regenerating the UVs for low distortion fixed the mottled text but brought back the random logo fragments. Unless I am again missing something I don't think the masking suggestion will work for me because I plan to animate the golf ball. So I am hoping to find a way to eliminate the fragments.

• 20. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?
                                                teetime17 Level 1

Good news. I acquired a new .obj golfball and everything works perfectly with it.

• 21. Re: How to apply image (logo) to imported 3ds object?

Excellent.  I figured the model you had came with some issues, and some folks at Adobe confirmed that for me.