20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 9:11 AM by A.T. Romano

PRE10 won't see DVD burner

JeffPadell

My copy of PRE10 wont recognize the DVD burner, win movie maker does and I can burn DVD's to it

• 1. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

This article covers many of the reasons, that PrE cannot find your burner: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2776760#2776760

I would work through those, and report whether the issue was solved.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
            JeffPadell Level 1

Thank you I will try that, I am burning a movie I made in PRE10 using Windows Movie Maker, but that is cludgy

• 3. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JeffPadell

Is your problem with Premiere Elements 10 not recognizing your burner a new problem? Has that route worked for you in the past? If so, anything different in the system comparing before and after the problem set in?

Could you clarify....you say that you are using Windows Movie Maker to take your Premiere Elements movie file to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Windows Movie Maker does not do that. It does when it is integrated with Windows DVD Maker which does the burn work. Is that the case?

It is not a permanent solution to the Premiere Elements 10 burn to DVD problem, but have you tried to burn to folder and then taken the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with a free program such as ImgBurn? If so, how did that turn out?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                JeffPadell Level 1

You are right, I am making the movie in PRE10 and then saving it to my PC and then burning it with Windows DVD maker. I actually like the “panel/window” front end for the movie.

I think that ever since I got this PC last summer with Win 7 64 it has never seen the burner but I am not sure. I do very few DVD’s mostly putting movies and slideshows on Youtube.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow, scanning a couple hundred slides from the 50’s and 60’s tonight.

Does PRE12 have the same problem?

• 5. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JeffPadell

Thanks for the follow up.

It will be good confirming evidence that the issue is going to the burn process rather than an overall issue with the Premiere Elements burn software.

Do you have access to a USB external DVD burner to determine if it would be recognized by Premiere Elements' Burn Location in the burn dialog? Any other burn software on that computer...maybe one that came with the DVD burner?

More later. Looking forward to your results when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                    JeffPadell Level 1

No other burn software that I can find other than Win DVD and the Windows burn to disk, machine was pretty empty when I bought it.  No external burner available, but may pick one up at Best Buy and then return it, they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

In PRE10 I go to SHARE, then DISK, DVD is highlighted,  Burn to is Disc, Burner Location is blank and below it Status has a triangle exclamation point and “No burners detected” I hit rescan it doesn’t do anything.

What is AVCHD?

I chose AVCHD  and it shows Burner location D HL-DT-ST DVDRAM but says Status “Media not present”

• 7. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JeffPadell

Share/Disc/AVCHD disc allows you to burn the AVCHD video format (1920 x 1080 pixels) to a regular DVD disc.

Give that a try. Insert your DVD disc in your DVD burner and then determine if your selection of Share/Disc/AVCHD disc results in

Burner Location: displaying your DVD burner

The problem with AVCHD DVD is finding a player for it. Some computer players can do the playback. But a regular DVD player will not play it. Many Blu-ray players do play it.

We will watch for further development. I have used one of inexpensive USB 2.0 DVD burners on Windows 7 64 bit successfully. Just make sure you check to find out if it works off 1 or 2 USB connections.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                        JeffPadell Level 1

I put in a DVD and then opened PRE10 and chose AVCHD and it saw it fine and burned to it fine. Of course my players won’t recognize it.  I don’t have a Blu-ray at this point.

I tried the same thing again with the DVD but it doesn’t see it.

I will go to Best Buy or Walmart and see if they have a USB burner

• 9. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                          JeffPadell Level 1

I bought a LG USB DVD burner, the system sees it, windows sees it, but PRE10 doesn’t

I went to the Share screen and Burner Location the down arrow doesn’t show anything.

I wonder if V12 would solve this?

• 10. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

JeffPadell

Looking at the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe would be a good idea.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

It is interesting that the AVCHD DVD opportunity works fine for you whereas the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc does not.

Also, I found the following as a fix for someone in a similar situation with regard to burner not recognized

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

The content of that link worked for rbcourter who reported it in the following thread here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1233503

Thanks for the updates. We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 11. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                              JeffPadell Level 1

Downloaded PRE12 and it works fine, sees the DVD burner, also it plays on my VHS/DVD player/burner, PRE10 only played on a small DVD player.  So I guess I will have to upgrade.

Now I will have to get the combination pack as I try to keep Elements and Premiere in sync

• 12. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

JeffPadell

Great news.

But, work with the Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 a bit longer to evaluate what you have. Then look for the best deal.

Whether you go version 12 or 11, make sure that you check out the money back situation, just in case.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 13. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                  JeffPadell Level 1

That is my plan, thanks

• 14. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                    mjincr

Same problem will let me burn to file.... then I can use IMGburn to burn it but who wants that degraded video that is saved?? The saved video is horrible I just tossed the disk out. I went through all these forum and still haven't found a fix or a useable workaround that will keep the quality. Why will it not save to file in the quality that it was inported as? If I take all my footage in 1920 x 1080 and keel it that size why would I want to export it at dismal 720 x 480.

• 15. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mjincr

What is your situation? Do you have the opportunity to burn to AVCHD DVD whereas you cannot burn to Blu-ray on Blu-ray disc?

Do you have the opportunity to get another burner as JeffPadell did?

If not, until more whys are answered, would you want to consider the following...

a. Take your Premiere Elements Timeline content to AVCHD on DVD.

b. Then explore and AVCHD DVD disc, find the BDMV Folder, and burn that to Blu-ray using ImgBurn.

Does that work for you quality and other-wise?

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

jmincr,

With HD material, you have three choices:

1. Burn AVCHD to a blank DVD, to be played on a Blu-ray player, or on your computer, keeping the HD characteristics.
                                        2. Burn to a blank BD, to be played on a Blu-ray player, or on your computer, keeping the HD characteristics.
                                        3. Down-rez your HD material to SD (Standard Definition), and burn a DVD-Video, that can be played (as SD) on a DVD set-top player, most BD players, or on your computer as SD.

What is your ultimate goal?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                          JeffPadell Level 1

I had tried an external burner, didn't work.

I just upgraded to PRE12 and it is now working fine, no changes were made to hardware or the system.

• 18. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mjincr

I understood what you are seeking.

But, please clarify "Same problem....."

Are you using Premiere Elements 10 as was JeffPadell?

As asked in my prior reply to you, did you have the opportunity to look at an alternative burner in that setup?

JeffPadell has subsequently posted that it was the switch to Premiere Elements 12 where burner recognition was gained in contrast to Premiere Elements 10.

Are you using Premiere Elements 12 or other?

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                              mjincr Level 1

Sorry I am using Premier Elements 10, I have not had a chance to try another burner as I am in a remote area of Costa Rica where I can't get one to try.

I can burn to AVCHD to disk, but the other options do not see the drive and only let me burn to file. The Quality of the video after you burn the file with ImgBurn is definately not what I am looking for.

I shoot with Gopro cameras and also a Canon 60d all in 1920 x 1080, so the drop to 720 x 480 when burning a dvd is well.... So from what I am understanding is that this is not possible to burn true HD to a dvd then? All of the people and clients here that I would like to share video with have DVD players, most don't have computers and none have Blu-ray, I haven't even seen one to buy here.

Another issue is that in the sharing online there are no presets for youtube at all, facebook has them but not youtube.

I was thinking of upgrading as well to 12, but can't seem to find out what the improvements are from 10?

• 20. Re: PRE10 won't see DVD burner
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mjincr

Thanks for the additional information.

You wrote

I can burn to AVCHD to disk, but the other options do not see the drive and only let me burn to file. The Quality of the video after you burn the file with ImgBurn is definately not what I am looking for.

The quality of the AVCHD on DVD disc should be very good, that is, 1920 x 1080, not 720 x 480. Some problems with AVCHD on DVD are

• finding a player (DVD player will not play it, some Blu-ray players will). Often it is easier to find a computer player software, but that software is usually the software that came with the Blu-ray burner.
                                                • disc capacity

Often people use DVD to refer to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. It is the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that is playable on DVD player. The DVD player will not play back a file burned to a DVD disc as data disc nor AVCHD format on a DVD. But, the AVCHD is a true HD format (1920 x 1080) that you are putting on that DVD disc.

You also wrote

Another issue is that in the sharing online there are no presets for youtube at all, facebook has them but not youtube.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10? Let us get this out of the way now. Do you have a NVIDIA video card?

Premiere Elements 10/Share/Online offers Facebook and YouTube. Your YouTube preset choices should look like this

yt10.jpg

If you go to Premiere Elements 12, you will find this type of upload in Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube and it will look like this

y12.jpg

So I see no gain there. And the max file size and duration is still 2.00 GB and 15 minutes.

Please check out the following Adobe document on product comparison.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/buying-guide.html

But, the test is to download and install the free 30 day tryout before any purchase.

The immediate problems to resolve...

a. problem with missing burner location data in Premiere Elements 10 burn dialog

b. problem related to no presets for YouTube

All this could be a download and install problem. You might want to consider

a. deactivate the program Help Menu/Deactivate

b. uninstall

c. ccleaner run through https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. reinstall (with antivirus and firewalls turned off)

Matters may be complicated if you have Premiere Elements 10 with a NVIDIA video card.

Please review and then we can discuss this further if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR