0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 2:09 PM by dwegowy

INDD to PDF: web-safe color palette?

dwegowy

Context: currently, the Google Docs Viewer/Embedder, when used to display a PDF in a browser, heavily downsamples images in the PDF resulting in grisly color changes and posterization. This has been discussed for a long time elsewhere on the web (example) and is something Google might eventually deal with.

I assume Google's intention was to hack down bandwidth usage, which I don't begrudge them, but the results stand out glaringly in an otherwise vibrant WWW. Embedded fonts work fine, and the only other visual/layout errors can be with some more advanced design effects—unless they are flattened down to Acrobat 5 compatibility.

With the nasty color changes, what I believe I'm seeing is a re-processing of the images in the PDF with ye olde web-safe color palette. Or maybe its paleolithic predecessor. FYI the source PDF is unaffected. And FYI, yes, I am aware of  many other options for embedding a PDF in a web page; I'd like to try and solve this one.

My thinking is this: if I can output my InDesign file such that images are converted more gracefully to a web-safe palette, and possibly with more satisfactory color dithering, then the results via the Google Docs Viewer/Embedder might be improved, more predictable, good enough for now.

I know how to do this with Photoshop, and I assume it's a Photoshop engine working behind the scenes in/for InDesign when processing images, so I'm hoping this is attainable.

Semi-educated guesses:

• That a suitable color profile could be created and selected when outputting either PDF or PS, resulting in 255-color (indexed) RGB images in the final PDF layout.
      • That the long way is to make alternate versions of each image used in the layout, swap them (such as with relink to file extension, e.g. GIF for TIF), and output a version specifically for embedding.

Thanks in advance for any creative thinking.

Edit: it's looking like the limit is far fewer colors, possibly 16. Gross. But I'm still curious about the possibility of a method for this, as it could have other applications.