14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 3:56 PM by ssprengel

CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure

Geowiz

CS6 update - error message U44MIP7? And cannot activate downloaded RAW converter for Nikon D610?

• 2. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
          Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

Please confirm your Ps & ACR version from Help->About Photoshop and provide us with the following logs.

You can find them at:

PS & ACR Installer logs

For Mac:

Library\Logs\Adobe\Installer

For Win:

Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

AAM logs

For Mac:

/Volumes/%Volume Name%/Users/%Username%/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0

For Win:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\AAMUpdater

You can zip all the files together and send us through mail. This would help us in finding the root cause.

Appreciate your help. Apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
          Ashutosh

asnigam@adobe.com

• 3. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
            Level 5

That camera model is not supported in the current last version of ACR, 8.2.  You would need to download and install the beta version Camera Raw 8.3RC (Release Candidate) from Adobe Labs.

Please note that there are separate ACR 8.3RC versions for CS6 and for CC.

Alternatively, you could download the free, stand-alone DNG Converter 8.3, also from Adobe Labs, launch it and use it to conver your raw NEF files to raw DNGs that you can then convert with any version of ACR higher than 2.3.  Aim the DNG Converter at a folder containing the raw files, not at individual files.  It works only on folders, not on files.

• 4. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
              Level 5

Nice of you to chime in, Ashutosh, but the installer and updater teams are momumentally messed up.

• 5. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

@station_two,

Updates usually fail when the file which are required for patching are missing or corrupt. This can happen due to third party tools on User system.

But I understand your concern, Improving End User experience is our biggest priority.

With CC we try to improve upon every release.

Feel free to send us your feedbacks and suggestions.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 7. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                  Level 5

Geowiz,

Your last post in respose to Ashotosh is totally empty, blank.

That happens a lot to those users who attempt to access the forums through email.

This is what the whole thread looks like to the rest of the world:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5844101?tstart=0#5844101

• 8. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                    Geowiz Level 1

Station two,

I thought it was an email from Adobe. Seems a roundabout way of customer support when it is done via a forum.

My PS version is CS6 Extended Version 13.01 x64

ACR is V8.3.0.122 which is the update I downloaded on 11-14-2013

Attempts to open a D610 RAW file gives the following message - "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

When I now open a D700 RAW file - I receive this  message - "This is a beta version of RAW plug in which expires n 2013-12-31. You will receive this message each time you open a file after the expiry date.

Such fun.

• 9. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                      Geowiz Level 1

Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installer shows the following log

PS Camera RAW : 7 8.2  11-12-3013

PS Camera RAW : 7.8.3  11-14-2013

I was unable to locate the folder AAMUpdater under AppData\Local\Adobe - that path only leads to Adobe Lightroom, via / Users (nothing under my user name) /Roaming/Adobe/lightroom

• 10. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                        Geowiz Level 1

However PS & ACR Installer Logs display -

My PS version is CS6 Extended Version 13.01 x64

ACR is V8.3.0.122 which is the update I downloaded on 11-14-2013

Attempts to open a D610 RAW file gives the following message - "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

When I now open a D700 RAW file - I receive this  message - "This is a beta version of RAW plug in which expires n 2013-12-31. You will receive this message each time you open a file after the expiry date

I am at a loss ?? All I wanted was the ability to work with RAW files from my new Camera.

Sorry I can't provide all the info you want

Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installer shows the following log

PS Camera RAW : 7 8.2  11-12-3013

PS Camera RAW : 7.8.3  11-14-2013

I was unable to locate the folder AAMUpdater under AppData\Local\Adobe - that path only leads to Adobe Lightroom, via / Users (nothing under my user name) /Roaming/Adobe/lightroom

• 11. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                          Level 5

Geowiz wrote:

Station two,

I thought it was an email from Adobe. Seems a roundabout way of customer support when it is done via a forum…

The forums are user to user forums, even though some Adobe staff drop in from time to time. As a matter of principle, you are not addressing Adobe here.  I don't work for Adobe at all.

Adobe does not offer support via email, only by phone or website chat.

Geowiz wrote:

…Attempts to open a D610 RAW file gives the following message - "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."…

Sounds like ACR 8.3 is not working as designed for you—most likely because the image file may be damaged.  Nikon software is notorious for damaging files during transport.  Use only the OS to move and copy your files, not the Nikon software, whatever it's called.

Geowiz wrote:

…When I now open a D700 RAW file - I receive this  message - "This is a beta version of RAW plug in which expires n 2013-12-31. You will receive this message each time you open a file after the expiry date…

Yes, that is normal and expected behavior with all beta versions of ACR (named RC for Release Candidate).  You can count on Adobe releasing a final version before the expiration date of the beta.

At least you now not that you have successfully installed ACR 8.3RC.

Your D610 file is corrupted.

• 12. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To fix an NEF corrupted by an obsolete Nikon Transfer or View NX, you can use the utility found here:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

Or if you want others to confirm the file is corrupt or not, you can upload one of your NEFs to www.dropbox.com and post the public download link, here.

• 13. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                              Geowiz Level 1

My sincere thanks ssprengel. You were spot on. My NEF files were corrupted.  When PS6 & LR5 didn't recognise the files I used the Nikon Viewer software to open the files (first images from a new camera). I downloaded the RAW update and tried the same images with the result as above.

I have just successfully opened a new set of RAW images in PS6 and I would expect the same in LR5. So, thanks again. 

• 14. Re: CS6 Update & RAW Converter failure
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be able to use the newer versions of Nikon products that came with your D610 camera and they should work without corrupting the files for Adobe software.