4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2008 8:29 PM by Newsgroup_User

Member not found in MIAW

Level 7
      I have a control panel that I want to appear as a MIAW in another movie.
      It's basically just a list of tiles with a slider bar on the side, scripted
      to replace the members on the list with other members when the slider is
      moved. It works perfectly fine by itself. When I try to run the control
      panel as a MIAW, however, it gives me a script error every time I try to
      move the slider, saying "Cast Member Not Found". Since it's a MIAW, I can't
      see where the error is occurring or open the debugger to see what the
      problem could be. I suspect that the code on the slider may be trying to
      reference sprites on the main stage instead of within the MIAW. But I can't
      figure out how to make it NOT do that. Any help?

• 1. Re: Member not found in MIAW
          Level 7
          For reference, I've isolated the offending line of code (by selectively
          commenting out lines).

sprite((i-1)*5+j).member = member(member(whichlist).line[i+row-1].item[j])

'i' and 'j' are indexes in two nested repeats, to cover the 4x5 sprites
          showing at any one time. 'row' is a number passed to this function by the
          calling functions specifying which is the top row to display. 'whichlist'
          refers to one of two lists of sprite names, each containing several rows of
          five comma-separated cast member names. Is there anything in this code that
          looks like it might be a problem? As I've said, the code works perfectly
          fine when the movie is played by itself, it only errors when played as a
          MIAW.

• 2. Re: Member not found in MIAW
            Level 7
            Tracked it down - the two movies were using a different itemDelimiter.
            Apparently that setting carries over into the MIAW... Oh well. Carry on
            then.

• 3. Re: Member not found in MIAW
              Level 7

"Darrel Hoffman" <no.address@all.com> wrote in message
              news:fl677k$ja9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Tracked it down - the two movies were using a different
              > itemDelimiter. Apparently that setting carries over into the MIAW...
              > Oh well. Carry on then.

True,
              there is only 1 itemDelimiter, and its a moviewide variable.
              Its better to get into the habit of storing the old value before
              setting a new value, and restoring the old value when done with it.
              That way you never run into these problems, its just "good
              housekeeping".

Richard.

• 4. Re: Member not found in MIAW
                Level 7
                > there is only 1 itemDelimiter, and its a moviewide variable.
                > Its better to get into the habit of storing the old value before setting a
                > new value, and restoring the old value when done with it.
                > That way you never run into these problems, its just "good housekeeping".

Now if only I could remember *why* I changed the itemDelimiter in the first
                place... (Picking up an old project I hadn't touched in over a year, and
                for some reason I was using the letter 'L' as an itemDelimiter. Can't for
                the life of me figure out what would've possessed me to do such a thing...)

--Note to Self: Remeber to put comments in your code, even if nobody else
                will ever read it...