3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 8:40 PM by A.T. Romano

The File Already Exists

DeJacqueline

If I have already downloaded a file from my camera I am not able to do it again because it says the file already exists.  So then I have to download it onto my computer and change the name.  I am now coping off of a DVD.  The first DVD worked fine.  The next DVD had the same names VTS_01_3.VOB - I changed the VOB to MPG but it won't let me download it because it says it already exists.  Is there anyway I can onto my Premiere Elements 11?

• 1. Re: The File Already Exists
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DeJacqueline

The answer is in the Save In: setting of the Video Importer.

Every DVD-VIDEO/DVD disc video ripping is going to use the file name VTS_01_01.VOB, and so on.

The Video Importer's Save In: field typically has these VOBs saved to Videos Folder in Documents, if you are using Windows.

So, essentially what you have is the first ripping going OK and the VOB saved to Videos. Then you come along with a second DVD disc which has the same name for its DVD-VIDEO  files as the first, and you end up sending/trying to send a file with the same name as the one that is there in Videos already.

The solution is to set up different folders in the Video Folder, and, for each DVD disc ripping, change the Video Importer Save In: so that the VOBs for each disc go in their own folder.

Please review and confirm and then let us know the outcome.

And, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: The File Already Exists
            DeJacqueline Level 1

Ok I think I got it to work. These are home videos that I got put on DVDs at Costco and now I am trying to pull out certain parts.  I am having trouble figuring out how to copy the files off of the DVDs but somehow it worked.  I am probably not doing it the best way.  I will try what you recommend but still not sure how just to copy them files I want.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: The File Already Exists
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DeJacqueline

What is on these DVDs that you are getting at Costco?

Typically one thinks about ripping VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO where the disc is characterized by two folders, OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. It is the VIDEO_TS Folder that contains the video files as VTS_01_1.VOB and so on.

Walgreens and maybe Costco may be giving you a disc with "extras" on the disc. Is that the case?

If so, focus on the VIDEO_TS Folder on the DVD and the video files starting with VTS_01_1.VOB.

When you get to the Video Importer in the Add Media/DVD camera and Computer Drive /Video Importer route, you can save just the selected video VOBs or save and send them into a project.

If you did not want to involve Premiere Elements at all, DVD disc in DVD burner tray, explore disc, open VIDEO_TS Folder, and copy the VTS_01_1.VOB and that series of video files and paste them into a folder for safe keeping.

Please review and then let us know if any of that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR