12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 7:34 AM by martymac1

Import Media loses Audio

martymac1

I have edited a one hour event in Sony Vegas Movie Studio and saved it as an AVCHD file.  When I import it into Premier Elements I lose the audio.  But the audio is there because it plays in Windows Media Player.  When I break the whole video into increments of ten minutes or less the audio is imported along with the video.  I am reassembling the thing in these smaller increments - but it is a lot of extra time.  This was not happening a week ago.  What is going on??

• 1. Re: Import Media loses Audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which Publish & Share template did you use (in particular, which audio settings did you use)?

Which version of the program do you have? What are your project settings (listed under the Edit menu)?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

• 2. Re: Import Media loses Audio
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

Are you allowing enough time for audio conforming of large files?

Read Bill Hunt on Audio Conforming http://forums.adobe.com/thread/726693

• 3. Re: Import Media loses Audio
              martymac1 Level 1

Steve

Well the Sony "Render As" settings are 48,000 Hz; Dolby digital AC-3 Studio (there doesn't seem to be another option);192,000 bit rate; Audio Coding mode: 2/0 (L,R)

I have Premiere Elements 11 (Version 11.0)

This problem seemed to have started after I had trouble using some *.MOV files from a friends I-phone.  I was getting a message that I had to install Quicktime - which I did, but it didn't help so I uninstalled it.  I currently have no Quicktime.  I found that I could use the files if I imported them and then resaved them as AVCHD files.

I am on a fairly new (2 months old)  Windows 8 machine - an ASUS with the latest and greatest in terms of video handling hardware.  If you need the numbers I will get them.  It is lightening fast compared to my old unit.

I have produced a number of AVCHD DVD's on this machine with no problem and I have been editing using Sony Vega Movie Studio for the last four years.  I just bought Premiere Elements specifically so I could burn Hi-Def Video on Std, DVD's.

I just found a Premiere Elements update and am downloading it now.

It says it will take 12 hours???  I have two machines going.  I'm going to shut this one down for now because I only have 6.0 MBPS connection.  My workaround plan is working for now.  If you would like me to post some screen shots I can do that.

Marty

• 4. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                martymac1 Level 1

Steve,

The Adobe updates did not change the problem.

Marty

• 5. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Marty,

For many things to function in PrE, you will need Apple's QuickTime Player.

Also, when Importing an AV file, with Audio, make sure that you allow adequate time for PrE to Conform that Audio, creating the CFA (Conformed Audio) and PEK (Waveform Display) files. This might take a moment, and while Conforming is ongoing, do not drag any media to the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

martymac1

QuickTime is a requirement. So, I would install the latest version of QuickTime on the computer with your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8. This is the link that you want:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I have Premiere Elements 12, 11, and 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit (was previously 8) with this QuickTime latest version and all is going OK. QuickTime I believe as well as Premere Elements needs to be Run As Adminstrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Is that what you are doing?

As for your audio workaround, that is, importing small segments of the clip instead of the whole clip in order to get sound in your Premiere Elements, I would ask this

Are your Sony export settings for the segments the same as for the whole?

And that 192,000 bitrate...what are the units? If that is the audio bitrate in kbps also seen as Kbps, you did a massive overkill on that audio bitrate. Did you mean to write 192 kbps?

Please consider in your reply to SG.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                      martymac1 Level 1

A.T. Thanks for your comments.  See my note to Bill above - I beleieve it addresses all the issues you raised and they did not solve the problem.

• 8. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                        martymac1 Level 1

Bill & A.T.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I downloaded Quick Time and then restarted my computer - it made no difference in the problem I am experiencing.
                        The settings are actually 48 KHz and 192 Kbps.  These are the default settings for AVCHD format for Vegas Movie Studio.  I occasionally upload video to Vimeo.com and their compression guidelines call for 44,100 Hz and 320,000 bps.  The 192,000 is actually the mid-range with 256,000 and 128,00 being the other options.  Just as an experiment I "rendered" a 20 minute segment in the Vimeo format and the audio did come thru.  But the video quality was noticeably inferior (1280 X 720) - even on my 21 inch monitor - so this is not a viable option for a DVD which will be played on Hi-Def TV's.  The smaller file sizes ( less than 10 minute clips) in my work around plan are rendered with the exact same video and audio setting as the complete file.  The complete file loads up in 2 seconds and the blue bar is completely filled so I don't know what I would be waiting for.  Also I can click on the "properties" of the large file and see that no audio info is there - whereas on the smaller file the audio is shown in the properties and obviously shows up also when dropped down to the timeline.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Marty

• 9. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                          martymac1 Level 1

Everyone,  I also changed the security settings on the file to Full Control for everyone and that made no difference in the problem either.

Marty

• 10. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                            martymac1 Level 1

Steve and Others,  It must have been Gremlins.  As mysteriously as the problem came it also disappeared and I did not do anything that would have caused a correction.  I had another project I needed to save and I first attempted to save it as bastardized Blu-Ray template - that had no sound in its file format so I knew that wouldn't work.  .  Then I went back to the original AVCHD format and amazingly it had sound for the full 45 minutes of the project when I imported into PrE..  I have no explanation. It must be Gremlins.

Marty

• 11. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Marty

That is great news. It happens to us all from time to time.

If you have not already, try to keep track of the present circumstances for your baseline.

Continued success.

ATR

• 12. Re: Import Media loses Audio
                                martymac1 Level 1

Good thought.  Thanks.

Marty