20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 8:46 PM by Bully Breed Rider

Audio Missing

Bully Breed Rider

In Premiere Elements 10 I imported audio for a soundtrack and now I can't locate it in the program. I am a computer neophyte

• 1. Re: Audio Missing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bully

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

How did you import the soundtrack...Get Media/Files and Folders or were you working with the SmartSound feature to get one of the SmartSound soundtracks into your project?

Premiere Elements 10 has 2 workspaces, Timeline and Sceneline. Which workspace are you in?

If you imported your soundtrack into the program with Get Media/Files and Folders, you drag if it from the Project media area to the soundtrack in the Timeline area so that it looks like the following:

Timeline.JPG

If you are in the Sceneline workspace, after you drag your soundtrack to the soundtrack it should look like the following screenshot

(you are still going to be dragging from Project media but in this case from Project media to a scene space in the Sceneline's Filmstrip.

Sceneline.JPG

Does any of that appear to be what you are doing?

Please clarify. If you tell us that you are involved in the SmartSound soundtracks, then I will give you details specific for that.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio Missing
            Bully Breed Rider Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me. I located all of my missing audio. Somehow it ended up in the "Hidden Files" View,and I have no idea how that happened. Part of my problem now is that I am experiencing a "driver" problem. As this is my first time in Premiere Elements 10, I am working the sceneline. I am not is Smartsounds as far as I can tell. The area now where I have questions,is how to reduce the ambient noise in the imported video so that the soundtrack can be heard better. I have gotten to the virtual mixing board by rightclicking on the speaker, but I can't get the ambient mixer to lock in to the setting I apply. I raised the soundtrack volume and it stays locked in. I am working with GoPro dirt bike videos, so I have significant ambient noise.

• 3. Re: Audio Missing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you found the issue and the solution!

Please let us know more about that "driver problem."

If you have an nVidia video card, and the latest nVidia video driver, there IS an issue with PrE 10, but before we go too deeply into that, more detail would be prudent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Missing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For ambient noise removal, the task is mighty, but this Tips & Tricks article might offer some solutions, or at least suggestions: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2860521#2860521

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Missing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bully Breed Rider

There is a serious problem going around specific to Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card users. Please check out the following thread that I have been using to compile these events. Please see if any of the details apply to you.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5836037#5836037

That may take care of a lot of your issues. Basically, for now, the fix is rolling back the video card driver version rather than assuring that it is up to date.

In your GoPro videos, is the audio all from dirt biking no voices. If so, what is the problem lowering the audio from the dirt bike videos and increasing the soundtrack relative levels by using the Audio Mixer. Or, are you call the Audio Mixer, the virtual mixing board?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS6C96BC86-7342-44a4-8D3F-936C1D66DE0B. html

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio Missing

I am sorry but I don't know what any of that NVIDIA means. I just know that my program is a mess and it keeps giving me a "driver" error message.As far as the GoPro goes, I am trying to do exactly that, lower the engine noise a little. But when I drag the knob down to reduce the sound it doesn't stay down, it rebounds back up

• 7. Re: Audio Missing

Thanks

• 8. Re: Audio Missing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bully Breed Rider

The following should motivate you to factor in or out your video card driver version in the mess that you describe for your program...you wrote

it keeps giving me a "driver" error message.

Does your computer have a video card manufactured by the NVIDIA company? If no, then read no further unless you want some basic comments on video cards and their drivers.

Your computer has a video card. You can find out which one by going to Device Manager/Display Adapter to find the one your computer uses. These video cards are manufacturered by various companies, three of the more frequently seen ones are from NVIDIA, ADM, and Intel.

The video card needs a driver to function. And, these drivers need to be updated periodically to maintain proper display functions in the computer applications. These drivers can be updated from within the Device Manager/Display Adapter/Video Card Driver Tab. But, it is better to check at the web site of the manufacturer of the card to make sure you really have the latest version. That is by the book. But sometimes, the latest (new) update has a problem. That is the case specifically with the Premiere Elements 10 users who have NVIDIA video cards. I am not sure who will fix this issue and how long it will take. But, for now, what is working for the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card people is to roll back the video card driver version as far back as possible until a driver is found that gets rid of the display problems.

Now let us get to the reducing the engine noise on the GoPro video file.

You wrote:

But when I drag the knob down to reduce the sound it doesn't stay down, it rebounds back up

This may or may not be a separate problem from your display error messages. How are you doing this volume lowering?

Are you in the Audio Mixer or somewhere else adjusting the volume? Do you need details on that? Do you want to take the volume down for the whole clip or for just a portion of it. Have you explored selecting the clip, opening Properties Panel/Volume Panel expanded and adjusting the volume there. You can vary the volume across the duration of the clip with Audio Mixer or you can keyframe the volume in the Volume Panel in the Properties Panel.

Lots of possibilities.

Please review and then let us know the outcome. Forgot to ask...if you go to a new project (for troubleshooting purposes) do you have any of these problems?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Audio Missing

That is a ton of info there. I will try to go into that computer to determine the video card and see if that is what is going on. For the audio problem I am in Audio Mixer. I do only want to reduce volume in those short bursts of loud background noise within that single thumbnail.I saw how they fixed it in the tutorial, but I can't seem to reach that stage

• 10. Re: Audio Missing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

When doing, about what you are attempting to do, I find it useful to place a Timeline Marker, just before the overly loud passage. This cues me, that I will need to attenuate Volume in the Audio Mixer, in just a moment. As the Timeline plays, I watch for my Markers, with my Cursor on the pot/slider for that Track, ready to slide it down to a level, that I have pre-determined will work for me.

The above is essentially how it was done in analog Audio mixing, with a cue sheet handy, and the tech's fingers on the pot on the mixing board - we are just doing it digitally.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio Missing

Thank you , thet will help when I get this thing cooperating.

• 12. Re: Audio Missing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bully Breed Rider,

You are most welcome.

What I outlined is MY workflow. As with many things in Premiere, other workflows might work for another user. I just like to keep things simple, and easy for me to perform.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Audio Missing

I was able to write down as best I could the error message; " Incompatible Display driver. Update required. ATI Technologies AMD Radeon(TM). HD 6480G3.0.1156 compatibilty profile context." Does that mean anything?

• 14. Re: Audio Missing

Cool.I am just learning as I go, and dealing with the computer problem to boot.I suppose that when I get done I will definitely have learned the hard way.

• 15. Re: Audio Missing
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That error message indicates that PrE thinks that you need to update your AMD/ATI Catalyst driver. I would check with the AMD/ATI Web site, plug in your card's model, and your OS version, then check to see if there is a newer Catalyst driver, than the one installed. If there IS a newer driver, I would download and install that. Also, I would look into Deleting the BadDriver.TXT file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Audio Missing
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bully Breed Rider

Regarding the message that you describe

Incompatible Display driver. Update required. ATI Technologies AMD Radeon(TM). HD 6480G3.0.1156 compatibilty profile context

The error message may indicate a compatibility issue rather than the strict read of update to latest version of video card driver. But, let us see if what you have is the latest version of the driver according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card.

If you do have the latest version of the video card driver, then the next step would be to delete the BadDrivers.txt file to which Hunt referred. In your version 10 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found in the path of:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path. Also, note that once you open Premiere Elements again a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated. The rationale behind the BadDriver.txt file deletion can be found in the Premiere Elements 9 thread on this type of issue, post numbered 10

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Audio Missing

Ok. This is so far past anything that I have ever done with a computer that I can't even describe it. Give me a couple of days, as this week is brutal. I will let you know.

• 18. Re: Audio Missing

Thanks. I just wanted to make a tribute video when i started all this.

• 19. Re: Audio Missing
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bully Breed Rider

Your great intensions will win out. Do not give up.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and then advance refreshed to overcome these Premiere Elements glitches.

ATR

• 20. Re: Audio Missing

Without a doubt. Thanks