9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 10:26 AM by sarhunt

Edge Animate could not find .html error message

ashtarr Level 1

I have a series of animate files that I have created. When I try to open the files to make edits, this error message appears:

Capture2.PNG

All of the files are in the same folder, and I have not changed any file names or coding outside of animate. I can open the .html file and edit that, but when I go to save or publish, I get this message:

Capture.PNG

I've seen the first message on a couple of discussion threads, but it didn't really seem to resolve the initial problem. I'd love it if someone had a fix for this.

• 1. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
          ksizov

I have the same problem.

The project is located on Creative Cloud.

.an file opens form one computer and gives this error message while being opened from another.

This question is being asked by the community for a while with no solution.

Could somebody from Adobe read this and post the solution?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
            resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I never open the an file but rather the html file. have you tried that?

• 3. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
              ashtarr Level 1

Yes. But I still get the second error message when I try to publish. Also, it's more obnoxious than anything that I can't open the .an file after creating it.

• 4. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey guys,

Sorry for the trouble you're running into -- maybe check these few things.

Are you trying to open a published file? Only the original .html file can be opened with Animate; the published files aren't runtrippable.

Has the .an or associated .html file been renamed? Have any of the dependant folders or files been renamed? The naming used when saving needs to remain in tact. In the future we're looking to loosen this restriction, but if you rename the .html or .an Animate will barf when you try and open.

Is the file saved in a locked folder? Permission issues can arise if you have restrictions placed within the OS. If you're not sure where to look for this, Here's an article on how to change permissions on Windows. Be sure to check the directory you're saving to and publishing to. A quick test might be to copy the entire AN project/files onto a conventionally unlocked folder like the desktop and try running from there.

For the users in this thread: Can you describe your operating system, and where your files are being saved and where Animate is installed? For example C:\Windows\Blah\Programs

Thanks,
                Sarah

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                  ashtarr Level 1

This is helpful. I'm on Windows 7, on a work computer. All of our files are on our secured network, so this may be a problem, but I'm also pretty sure I shuffled files around. Thanks for the response.

• 6. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                    sarhunt Adobe Employee

Awesome -- please let us know if you find anything out of the oridinary, would be great to know so we can relay to others who might have this issue in the future.

Thanks!

Sarah

• 7. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                      ksizov Level 1

Sarah -

My 2 computers are both Windows 8.1.

The folder used is: C:\Users\Konstantin\Creative Cloud Files\www_sketches\SlideShow_2013.

This is a folder within your default Creative Cloud area which is being replicated on both computers.

The files were never renamed.

However the folder with all the subfolders was moved once on one of the computers.

.html files can be opened directly with no problems, but obviously the settings from .an file are being lost.

Not good.

It seems that if the Edge Animate stores the old absolute path to the files somewhere within the depth of its engine - i.e. outside of the .an and .html file. This should probably be reported as a bug.

Thank you,

Konstantin

• 8. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                        ksizov Level 1

OK. After tinkering with the .an file I got the workaround.

The problem is the absolute path for the publish setting that is located in the .an file.

For some reason if this path is not pointing to your current project sub-folder Edge Animate assumes that you do not have a valid .html file.

...but only if you later move the folders - go figure...

This is clearly a bug, as many people publish outside of the project folder and moving projects into different folders.

Here is the workaround:

1. Before doing the following, please save a copy of your .an file just in case.

2. Open .an file in the Notepad.

3. Find the line, which contains the absolute path:

"PubDPSDir":"C:\\....",

4. Delete this line completely (together with the comma). You may need to re-set this publish setting manually later from the Edge Animate.

5. Save the file.

Now Edge Animate will be able to open the .an file. All the settings except for that one folder setting will be intact.

I have done this on Windows 8.1.

This may or may not work on other OS-es including Macs...

Konstantin

• 9. Re: Edge Animate could not find .html error message
                          sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey Konstantin,

Thanks for sharing your findings. We'll circle back with the dev team to see if there's anything we can uncover.

Thanks,

Sarah