6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2013 3:51 PM by Jim_Simon

Graphic Card Advice

Shane P Level 3

Hi,

I was wondering you would share your opinion on what kind of performance boost you think I'd get by installing a Quadro 2000 or 4000. Now I know there are a thousand different variables that constitute render times such as system specs, sequence settings, effects, color, etc ,etc. But I was wondering if I gave you some basic info if you could give me your "best guess" as to what kind of boost I'd get.

To borrow a quote from Dr McCoy from Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home... "Your best guess is better than most people's facts"

So...

Usually I render a typical HD sequence consisting of 1080p source MTS that gets rendered out to 720p for the web. A typical sequence just has some minor color correction using the fast color corrector and a psd on layer/track 2 with an alpha channel which is used as a watermark. In terms of complexity it's fairly simple.

Now that being said when I run it through AME it takes approx 15 minutes to render 1 minute of video.

My system is about 4 years old and is not at all beefy by today's HD standards...I know this.

But I am looking into getting a Quadro 4000 or 2000 to decrease render times.

In your "best guess"...how much render time do you think I might save on?

Again...I know there are a multitude of variables that are taken into consideration. Just looking for some opinions as I{ have never purchased a high end GFX card before.

Current Specs

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL PRO (LGA775)

HP w2408 (1920x1200@59Hz)

512MB GeForce 9400 GT (MSI)

8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700  @ 2.66GHz    44 °C

Kentsfield 65nm Technology

ATAPI iHAS120   6 ATA Device

• 1. Re: Graphic Card Advice
          tstormSierra Level 1

Based on your specs, You might want to upgrade your computer first then get a geforce card 760 is probably a good choice. A Quadro would be bottlenecked by everything else in your set up (332MHZ RAM is sooooooooo slow)

• 2. Re: Graphic Card Advice
            RjL190365 Level 4

I second tstormSierra. Any halfway decent discrete GPU would be seriously bottlenecked by that CPU and memory combination. I had a Q9450, and it was slower than even a dual-core Sandy Bridge i3, let alone an i7, in overall performance in Premiere Pro (all other components besides the CPU, motherboard and RAM were identical in both systems). The Q6700 would be even slower than the Q9450 due to its slower FSB speed and smaller L2 cache.

Though to be fair, your current GPU does not have enough RAM to even enable MPE GPU acceleration at all: MPE GPU acceleration requires a minimum of 765MB of free, unused graphics RAM (this means that 768MB cards will not enable MPE GPU acceleration due to the fact that the Windows GUI itself consumes over 15MB of that graphics RAM). As a result, MPE is "permanently" locked to the software-only mode with such a card.

If you absolutely need a new GPU, and plan on sticking with your current outdated CPU platform (or cannot afford to update to a much newer CPU platform) for the foreseeable future, don't go with a Quadro or any other GPU that costs more than $100: Quadros cost four times more money than their absolute performance justifies (for example, the Quadro 2000 is now obsolesced by the newer K2000; however, even when new, the Quadro 2000 is significantly slower than the GeForce GTS 450 that it was based on). As such, the GeForce GT 640 would be the highest GPU that I would go for in that rig (this while keeping things in balance). Otherwise, save up for a complete new rig.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Graphic Card Advice
              Shane P Level 3

Thank you both for the responses.

I have been stuck in MPE software only mode and I'n getting sick of it. I do weekly videos for a few websites and I just start rendering the day before. Up to this point it has "worked" for me. But I know have to change all of the graphics and re-render hours of HD footage which will takes weeks to render on my current Flintstone rig.

I think for now I am just going to go with the GT 640 to help boost rendering a little then afther the Holidays I am just going to build a new box from the ground up.

Thank you again for your responses and input.

• 4. Re: Graphic Card Advice
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>rendering the day before

Rendering is what you do to create temporary files for smoother timeline playback... Exporting is when you create a new file

Which are you doing?

Before you buy anything, read what a CUDA card does, and does not do

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Graphic Card Advice
                  Pijetro

Seeing as your issue is with encoding times, perhaps a dedicated hardware accelerator might direct your main concern? Just a thought.

I've been away for the past year or so, but am wondering if the Matrox Max cards might help you out in your quest for higher encode times..

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Graphic Card Advice
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]