6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 10:00 PM by A.T. Romano

When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.

Chris Rolbiecki

I need help with all the steps to ensure I'm doing this the right way when burning my videos to DVD. Here is a list of all my equipment and software:

OS -Windows 8

Program - Adobe Premiere Elements 11

System-

• Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
      • Installed memory (RAM)- 12.0 GB
      • System Type- 64-bit Operating Sytem, x64- based processor
      • Video Card- GEFORCE GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

Video Camera- Sony HDR-FX1

• Product Type Camcorder- 1080i
      • Progressive scan- Yes
      • Camcorder Media Type- Mini DV (HDV)
      • Digital Video Format- MPEG-2
      • Image Recording Format- JPEG

I did a sample 10 minute video (with no editing) burned it to DVD and the quality is almost VHS looking when I watch it on a DVD. I've tried many different options and still get the same results. I tried  up-ing the DVD space by purchasing a Dual Layer Double Couche DVD+R but came out the same results. I put the settings ( when burning to DVD anywhere from NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD to Just NTSC_Dolby DVD. I have put the Quality to 'Fit Contents to available space' and Highest Quality with no difference to the burned DVD. I've gone to File/New/Project and changed the settings to NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30 and regular HDV 1080i 30 with no change. There are like 15 different options and really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please HELP me before I go Crazy!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

Also
          Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all
          Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 2. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris,

I have read your issue and have checked out the camera that you describe. And, I find that I need clarification in order to work the issue through with you.

1. The Sony HDR-FX1 is described as a miniDV camcorder. From the camcorder's description you would be expected to be doing HDV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window. The project preset for that project (set beforehand) should be

NTSC

HDV

HDV

1080i30

Is that what you are doing to get your media for the Expert workspace Timeline?

The Adobe document with details of this capture process are described in the following link

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

2. You are starting with HDV 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (display 1920 x 1080). And would be expected to be putting MPEG2.mpg on the Timeline. The end product will be DVD-VIDEO widescreen 720 x 480 16:9 where the 720 x 480 is stretched by the 16:9 flag for display after encoding...no way to 1920 x 1080. So, during our discussion, we need to sort out the expectation vs actual resolution factor and try to get the best possible for the end product with its standardized properties.

But, let me backup. I have assumed end product is DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. Is your intent rather AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Please review and then we will move forward based on your answers.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

When going to DVD-Video, you ARE just above VHS quality. See this Image:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg (1).png

Take a look at your 1080 native format, and then at VCD. Big differences.

However, if one does the best they can, regarding DVD-Video, the results are not that bad. Then, if one plays that DVD-Video on either an up-rezzing DVD, or most current BD (Blu-ray Disc) players, the results get even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
                Chris Rolbiecki Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the fast response.  

1. The Sony HDR-FX1 uses Mini DV cassettes that capture both

HDV and DV. I am using firewire into Premiere Elements which is the only way I can

see is possible. That being said I’m using the camera for HDV and I have used

the preset that you have suggested. This is how I am getting the media onto the

Expert Timeline. The last DVD I burned I tried to play It in a DVD player and

it couldn’t read the DVD and said ‘Multiple Media’ on the error screen (Must

have pushed something wrong on that one.)

2. I’m looking for whatever

format gives me the best video quality. I was thinking that PE was compressing my

videos but with only a 10 min clip, there should be plenty of room, it has to

be something else that I’m not setting up right. Not sure the difference from

DVD-Video vs AVCHD to DVD disc.

3. I just burned 2 DVD’s exactly how the instruction state

and your presets:

1.       Preset- NTSC HDV HDV 1080i 30

Burn options

·         Quality checked ‘Fit contents to available space’

·         Presets NTSC Dolby DVD

·         Results of the DVD are poor rough edges on all

frames

2.       Preset- NTSC HDV HDV 1080i 30

Burn options

·         Quality UNCHECKED ‘fit contents to available space’

·         And move slider to highest quality

·         Presets NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

·         Results of the DVD are better with rough edges

on about 80% of frames

Hope this helps you understand a little more.

Thanks

Chris

• 5. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
                  Chris Rolbiecki Level 1

Thanks Hunt for the response and the graph. I may have exaggerated a little on VHS video quality but the video still looks so pix-elated and blurry, its really frustrating seeing HD on editing and then  the video looks like a Fisher Price product. Do you think going to Blue-ray is the way to go if we find out I'm not doing something stupid with the settings?

• 6. Re: When I Burn to DVD I get poor video quality.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

For your consideration...

1. HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window.

a. Beforehand, set the project preset manually to NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30 via File Menu/New/Project. Before exiting the new project dialog, make sure you have a check mark after Force Selected Project Settings on This Project. Then go back to the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace and Add Media/HDV Camcorder.

or

b. Do your DVD Data capture, let the program set the project preset. Then verify the project preset via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. Editing Mode should be HDV 1080i, Timebase should be 29.97 frames per second, and frame size should be 1440 x 1080. The pixel aspect ratio (grayed out) should be HD Anamorphic (1.333). Field Order should be shown as Upper Field First. If that is not the case, then start over and set the project preset yourself manually as described above in "1a".

Once you get the MPEG2.mpg on the Timeline, we are going to look at two different situations

a. the DVD-VIDEO results with Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options, followed by Reverse Field Dominance.

and

b. the DVD-VIDEO results with Moving forward not doing anything with the Field Options.

Since your source is 16:9, the you want to stay with the DVD-VIDEO widescreen (NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD preset in the burn dialog...Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc)

If you select Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc you will be viewing DVD-VIDEO widescreen format on DVD disc. The frame size is 720 x 480 and is stretched for display after encoding. As I said no where near 1920 x 1080.  My recollection is that it is about 856 x 480. This can be played on the DVD player. Maybe some Blu-ray players if the players specifications provide for that.

If you select Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc, you will be viewing AVCHD format on a DVD disc. You can set the preset for 1920 x 1080 and thus be viewing 1920 x 1080 on that DVD disc. BUT, AVCHD DVD cannot be played on a DVD player. It needs a Blu-ray player. And even all of Blu-ray players may not play it. It also can be played on the computer if you find a computer player to play it.

You mention your end results being pixelated. I am wondering if your pixelation is really an interlaced problem.

Your source is interlaced video with a field order = Upper Field First. The DVD-VIDEO standard calls for field order = Lower Field First. My suggestion above to look at Field Option Reverse Field Dominance goes to that point, reversing the field order. More on that later.

Let us see the results and then decide what next.

If you think you want to go Blu-ray, then we can talk about that too. Do you have any Blu-ray equipment now? For the time being, to get the flavor of the higher resolutions on disc, you could make the comparison of your DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc versus AVCHD on DVD disc.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

Add On...After all of the above, I forgot to mention. Do your DVD work with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". The only time you want to leave "Fit Content to Available Space" uncheck is when and if you get a Data Rate error message where you have to lower the bitrate to be able to continue.