15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 3:45 AM by timmyleeturner

Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart

Muzzer

I have version 12 of Premier Elements freezing and requiring a restart.  Is anybody else having this issue and is there a way to fix.  Win 8.1 64 bit,  i7 Intel, 16 GB RAM and twin SSDs.  plenty of room and power so should not have too many issues I would think.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What error message(s) do you receive, and what are you editing when the freeze happens?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-In Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

nVidia Driver Rollback is about PreElements-10 but MAY be worth reading

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Muzzer

I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit with lesser computer resources than you and am not having any freezing or crashes issues using the program. The computer environment does not have any SSDs.

What I did run into (Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit) was extremely slow opening time for File Menu/New/Project and extremely slow closing time for the project (saved or unsaved). The problems in 8.1 64 bit are now essentially gone after massive but systematic troubleshooting. At no time were there any problems other that those two that I mentioned.

But, about your problem....

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges?

c. What are the details of these freezes? Do they come just opening a new project? Do they come after you open an existing project? What is the size of the freezing project when the freezing occurs? What are you doing in the Timeline when the freezing occurs?

d. Is your video card driver up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card?

e. What is your Scratch Disk situation as to where they are directed and how much free space is at that location? See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Look for pile ups of preview files and conformed audio and video files.

Please review the above and then we can move forward based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
              Muzzer Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and I checked and confirmed all software and drivers are up to date.  I had confirmed my video driver, nVidia, was the latest.  You post about preelements 10 is interesting and worth making a note of for the future. A.T. Romano hit the nail on the head and I should have picked up on it straight away as I am not a newby when it comes to working and designing software on Windows.  I did not have the program running in the Administrator mode.  One of those ah ha moments.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                Muzzer Level 1

A.T. Romano.  Spot on.  See my reply to John. It was the Administrator mode.  I should have picked that up straight away.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Muzzer

Your follow up is much appreciated and will be helpful to all.

We were glad for the opportunity to help and are pleased to learn that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements workflows.

Thanks you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                    mytimbuk2 Level 1

How do you change it to always run in Admin mode? I'm not interested in updating video drivers, as the last two times I did it created major problems in Premier Elements Video Editing. I found an entire chapter of threads on it somewhere and don't even recall, but had to go back to an older driver for my NVIDIA Graphics Card to keep using Adobe.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                      mytimbuk2 Level 1

Nevermind, that's not going to help I don't think.  After forcing a shutdown to unfreeze the program, I restarted in Admin mode and it immediately froze back up.  I'm using windows 8.1, Premier Elements 12  on a gaming laptop and have made hundreds of videos with no problems, just seemed to have started today.  The program used to prompt me to clear the caches, or did it itself, but I haven't seen that happen in a while. It seems to freeze up when I'm clicking on Transitions in Quick Mode and attempting to drag a transition to the timeline.

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

Thanks for the replies and thanks for details in the second of your replies. It is difficult when you enter the 2 year old thread of another without the details of your particular situation. We now know that you are using Premiere Elements 12 on Window 8.1 (assumed 64 bit). And, this appears to be a project specific issue.

Stay with running the program from your user account with administrative privileges when working with Premiere Elements. Can we assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12? If you can get into the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, go to Help Menu/Updates and update the program to 12.1.

Zeroing in on the immediate problem of placing transition in the Quick workspace.

1. Get out the Quick workspace, and get into the Expert workspace.

Go to the two Timeline clips involved in the transition.

a. try to apply the transition there...still freezing

b. if still freezing, then before applying the transition, use the scissors tool to cut off a few frames from the end of the first clip and a few frames from the beginning of the second clip. Put the trimmed clips side by side, and apply the transition...same problem or problem gone?

Except in the case of Premiere Elements 10 on a computer with a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, it is important to have an up to date driver version for the card. I will not press the point now, but it may become necessary to do that update as part of the troubleshooting strategy.

At this time, can you open a new project and not have this problem with the two particular clips involved?

Let us start here, and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any clarification needed, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                          mytimbuk2 Level 1

Running in Administrative mode makes no difference in my situation, using PE12 on Windows 8 with 16GB of RDRAM and a 2GB dedicated graphics card. It freezes up in the middle of editing a video and I lose it all. Been using it for quick uninterrupted  video production without creating any saved projects, but I guess I have to start creating a new project and save each one of them now. However, I have done that before and could never find the project or get it to open.

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                            timmyleeturner Level 1

At the current time, I an unable to do anything with Premier Elements 12 as I thought I would re-download and reinstall it.  I did, I went through the entire process but when I tried to open it, it said the shortcut was no longer any good, so I deleted it.  I can't find it on my machine, although it said it was installing.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

timmyleeturner

Please consider starting your own new thread with details specific to your situation.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often due) have different causes.

In your case, we are starting with a flawed installation, in other cases in this thread, installation mechanically succeeded, but problems set in within the project workspace. Different considerations, different troubleshooting routes though both yours and others in this thread go to the common goal of getting Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to work for you.

We will be watching for your new thread with the details of your situation.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

Thank you for update. But, please review the questions and suggestions in my post 8, so that we can exchange the important information and get at a troubleshooting strategy that matches the details.

The answers will be in the details.

Please consider.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                                  timmyleeturner Level 1

Thanks for your help, there is no update to 12.1, only to Adobe Application Mgr which I don't particularly want on my machine. Everytime I try to drag a transition to a point in the timeline, the timeline flashes on and off to black and freezes.  No NVIDIA graphics driver updates are available, updated QT .01 number.  It's been working fine for months.  I just can't bring myself to starting a new thread and going through all this stuff again, as I have just spent the past 3 or 4 hours trying to log in and acquire my so. I have started the same project (due this weekend) three times and get nowhere. I'm going to have to find another way to edit them. I'm glad I didn't pay $79 to upgrade.

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

timmyleeturner

Stay where you are in the thread.

Please update 12 to 12.1 using the opened project's Help Menu/Updates. Have you already updated to 12.1? When you go to Help Menu/Adobe Premiere Elements 12, does the top of the screen that appears include a 12.1. One of the perks of the 12.1 Update was fixing the text styles issue that existed only in the Expert workspace. It has other less documented perks.

What are the properties of the two files to which you want to apply the transition? What is the transition, video or audio transition or any transition? And, any particular transition when the problem hits? If two video files are involved, I would like you to use the scissor tool to cut off a few frames from the end of the first video and the beginning of the second video. Try the placement of the transition. Same problem as before?

If yes, then have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file? In Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit, the path to it is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Did the problem set in around the time of any NVIDIA update? If so, please consider rolling back the driver to determine if that has any impact on the situation.

Please confirm if the problem exists if you open a new project and use the two videos and the transition from the problem project. Also confirm if the problem is restricted to this video audio source and this one project.

Please consider and then we can discuss what next as your time permits.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...What compute operating system is involved? What is "updated QT .01 number". For Windows...QuickTime 7.7.8  QuickTime - Download - Apple is the latest version except if you are using Windows 10 64 bit. If Windows 10 64 bit, then use QuickTime 7.7.6 QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Are you running the programs from user account with administrative privileges?

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 12 freezing and requires restart
                                      timmyleeturner Level 1

Running Windows 8.1. I've tried using in Administrator Mode & not, doesn't seem to change anything.  After crashing, when I reload the project I am able to switch to Expert Mode to at least complete the project.