9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 8:50 AM by RFSLeander

Adobe epub additions

AntsTuur Level 2

Hello.

I discovered, that there are Adobe specific additions to epub css file. Example: "–adobe-float-keep", etc.

Are there some manual for those additional comands?

• 1. Re: Adobe epub additions
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're talking about EPUB enhancements added in InDesign CC, here's what's written in InDesign CC Help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/epub-enhancements-indesign-cc.html

• 2. Re: Adobe epub additions
            Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

These were a CS6 creation for a special reader that is no longer relevant as of the CC release.

They should no longer being emitted in CC (if you're still seeing them, plese let me know how).

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 3. Re: Adobe epub additions
              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

-adobe-float-keep: column property was generated in case of dropcap in CS6 but it has been removed in CC. If you are still seeing it in EPUB exported from InDesign CC, please let us know the case wherein you are getting it.There are some -adobe prefixed properties that still get emitted in EPUB in case of Japanese features like Ruby,Kenten etc (-adobe-ruby-align:right, -adobe-text-emphasis-position:below right for instance) but most of them have already been removed.

Regards,

Pooja

• 4. Re: Adobe epub additions
                AntsTuur Level 2

Thank you for answer.

I was seeking additional information about those -adobe prefixed properties. I can find no documentation on that topic.

Unfortunately we are living in world where there are apple epub format and adobe epub format. I try to meet both in my production. There are documentation about apple vision about how the good epud will look inside.

• 5. Re: Adobe epub additions
                  Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

Well, there isn't really an Adobe epub format, at least as far as InDesign is concerned. The Adobe RMSDK and Adobe Digital Editions represents a different team with their own (epub2) reader.

With CC we are trying very hard to have a clearer, more predictable mapping of InDesign constructs to HTML/CSS, in addition to EPUB.

We've made a lot of progress but we've got some way to go but are excited that we can start thinking of adding additional flexible ways to map content (ex:SVG).

The CC update pace works really well here because we can deliver improvements, and get customer feedback, without waiting for an entire year.

So far we have resisted writing any device specific markup or CSS, with the exception of iBooks fonts embedding enablement - we really just want to write vanilla epub.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 6. Re: Adobe epub additions
                    RFSLeander Level 1

Douglas and Pooja,

So what do I do when I have them in my Epub? I'm using CS6 and I have drop caps. The validators are flagging them as errors. What do I replace them with?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Adobe epub additions
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've moved this question to the InDesign EPUB forum, set up after this thread was originally created.

• 8. Re: Adobe epub additions
                        pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

You can simply remove this property from the CSS: -adobe-float-keep: column, no substitution is required.

Let us know if it works for you.

Regards,

Pooja

• 9. Re: Adobe epub additions
                          RFSLeander Level 1

Thanks Pooja and Steve!

I took out the instances of that command and the epub seems to be working.