20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 2:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV

Kraut555

Premiere Elements 11, Windows 8 32, External USB-HD

Hi,

I am trying to convert my friends' MiniDV videos. I work with a borrowed laptop that has Elements on it but I am not familiar with it. The import always stops after about 18:30 and I get an error message about filesize. The filesize is about 4GB. I vaguely remember some Windows restriction (from the old days). Could that be the reason? And how and where do I change that?

Another question: Is there a way to stop Elements from breaking the video into scenes? All my friends what is to transfer the videos to the harddisk. No fancy transitions, themes etc.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would first look at the formatting of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) on that laptop. If it is formatted FAT-32, then you will have a file size limit of ~ 4GB. If it is formatted as NTSF, then no such file size limit exists.

Please report on the formatting of that HDD, as that likely holds the answer to your problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check the formatting of your video drive... if it is FAT32 (sounds like it from your problem description) you need to convert to NTFS format

Search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for an article telling how to - convert fat32 ntfs

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

Plus...

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Is the following correct

You are doing a DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 32 bit. Where does the "External USB-HD" come into this? Is that your designated save location for the Captured Video that you have in the Capture Windows and in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk/ and the Captured Video category? If so, what is the capacity of the external hard drive and is it formatted NTFS or FAT32. It should be NTFS.

How have you set up the Premiere Elements Capture Window? If you do not want video splitting, have you removed the check mark next to "Split Scenes" in the Capture Window?

Please check out the above. We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                Kraut555 Level 1

Thank you all for your fast replies.

Your advice was right: the provided HDD was in FAT32. I reformatted it and am trying again, also with the "Split Scenes" changed. Once the first tape is finished I will leave an info.

Thanks again.

Edit: Just checked the Split Scenes. Could it be that this is not available in Elements 11? I saw a video about Elements 9 where there is a box to tick but did not find anything similar in Elements 11.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

The following is a screenshot of the Premiere Elements 11 DV Data Capture Window

PE11Capture.JPG

Do you see the Split Scene option there? If not, please post a screenshot of what you do see.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the screenshot.

Could you do this.

Do not have your camcorder attached to the computer.

Open a new Premiere Elements 11 project to the Expert workspace. Go to Add Media/DV Camcorder. In the Capture Window that opens, do you see the Capture to Timeline and Split Scenes options?

Also do the same with Add Media/HDV Camcorder.

Still no Capture to Timeline and Split Scenes options?

ATR

Important Add On...Is that 33.4 GB all you have in your save location for the capture (appears to be Videos on Local Disc C). Not enough. Can you change the capture save location to a drive with more free hard drive space, lots more like 500 GB or so?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                      Kraut555 Level 1

Thanks. That did it. When the camera was not connected the "Split Scenes" showed. i am a bit puzzled about the space on the disk (see screenprint) but I guess I'll figure that out.

Thanks for spending so much time with my problem. I really appreciate your help.Snap5.jpg

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>puzzled about the space on the disk

Puzzled about what?

Also, Windows Indexing is BAD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/676303 you want to UNCHECK that option, and then tell Windows to apply to drive and all directories

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                          Kraut555 Level 1

Puzzled about the 33,4 remaining disk space. I searched and found the part about scratch disks and changed the disks.

Cahanged the indexing on the drive. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Perhaps John T. Smith will elaborate more on the point that he is making about Indexing as it applies to your present situation, supported by Hunt's write up on the Indexing topic. I do work with mine shut off. Be that as it may, I do not see indexing angle here as the issue. I do see questions about the drive set up.

Please describe how you have your drives set up. You can check this out, right click Computer, select Manage, and then Disc Management to see how the drives are set. Do you have drive partitioning?

As an example, if I open the Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window with no camcorder connected, the right top corner shows hard drive space: 800 GB (that is the free hard drive space on my Local Drive C). I also have an external hard drive E which has 900 GB free space. If I set the Capture Window Save In Location for E, that Capture Window top right "hard drive space 800 GB" is not changed". But, I do have 900 GB free space at the location to which I am saving the Capture.

So, here is coincidence or something else.

You show your Capture Window top right hard drive = 33.4 GB in the Capture Window. If I go by my model, that would be telling me that you have 33.4 GB free space on your Local Disc C. Nonetheless, you are saving to the G drive which you show as having 432 GB free space. And coincidently it is showing 33.3 GB used.

I will think about this some more and look forward to your further evaluation of your situation. Hoping John will tell us what we might be overlooking.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Prior to Win7 (Windows Indexing is said to be better now, but I have not tested it adequately, to comment), the issue with Windows Indexing was its "locking" of files, to attempt to Index them. This could cause major slowdowns, and also cause issues with programs being able to access files, such as the Scratch Disk files for PrE.

The problem is exacerbated by Windows Indexing not being able to fully Index most (all?) media files, though it keeps trying. As the media files are often quite large, that can take some time.

When that happens, one most often gets an error message about "file access," or "time outs," though, as we all know, error messages are hit-or-miss, at best.

Regarding the issue with truncated Capture Files, I would not anticipate that Windows Indexing is a responsible party, unless there are other behaviors, or errors, that we do not know about. The recommendation for turning Windows Indexing OFF, is more for general performance, and to mitigate encounters with "locked" files.

Similar happens with some active-scanning, real-time anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-whatever programs. Many will also lock files, not only after write, but also a read is allowed. One good reason to turn such software OFF, when editing - but just do not maintain an Internet presence, or open any e-mail attachments, while editing.

Just my observations,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks. I could not see the relevance of indexing to the core matter presented although it was a generalized performance principle.

But, we can move forward in the troubleshooting with it OFF and address the problems that will probably still exist until the drive situation is defined. If indexing OFF somehow corrects the core issue here for any reason, we all would be thankful.

Thanks for your observations.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I am with you, in thinking that it would have zero impact on the Capture truncation. Now, that could possibly happen, but I would strongly suspect fairly specific error messages.

Now, real-time, active-scanning anti-whatever software could be another matter, as I have seen some lock a file, during the write mode (usually, they wait until the file has been fully written, but some are quite aggressive).

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                    Kraut555 Level 1

@ATR     It was a coinicidence that the remaining space on C: was about the same as the used space on G:. I have assigned another drive now for the scratch files and have close to 500GB available.

BTW The Scenes button did not completely solve the "problem". I still do not have one file but at least I do not have a couple of hundred.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Great progress.

Sounding good except let us see if we can get a single file instead of split clips.

In Premiere Elements 11 Expert Workspace, click on the Organizer tab at the bottom of the workspace in order to open the Elements Organizer 12. In the Elements Organizer 12 workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and turn off all the options under MediaAnalysis - AutoAnalzyer et al. To get back to the Premiere Elements Expert workspace from there, in the Elements Organizer workspace, go to File Menu/Exit.

What are you currently doing...DV data capture firewire or HDV data capture firewire?

If DV data, in the Capture Window the path is Split Scene/by Timecode or Scenes

If HDV data, in the Capture Window the path is Split Scenes/ by Scenes only.

Without your camcorder connected to the computer and a check mark next to Split Scenes in the Capture Window, it should look like

555 1.JPG

Without the camcorder connected to the computer and the check mark removed from next to Split Scenes, it should look like this

555 2.JPG

Is that what you are seeing?

Looking forward to determining shutting off the MediaAnalysis had any impact on all this.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting follow up.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                        Kraut555 Level 1

I did everything the way you desribed (see screeprints). The program stills splits scenes.

Snap6.jpg

Snap7.jpg

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks.

As a just in case measure, please remove the check marks next to everything under Media Analysis, please include

AutoAnalyzer Options as well as under Media Analysis.

Also, please remind me, if can you take this same DV data and do a capture firewire into Window Lives Movie Maker or Windows Movie Maker, can you get the whole and not the split clips?

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                            Kraut555 Level 1

@ATR

Thank you again for your help - but I give up.

I removed the check marks as you suggested but as soon as I clicked on the import from dv camera I received the following error messages and PrE shut down. Resetting everything and rebooting did not help. I dont really feel like trying to solve even more problems.

I was not aware that MS offered a free movie software. I d/l MovieMaker, connected the camera and it transferred the tape in one piece and not a single frame dropped. Just what I had been looking for.

Thanks.

Hans

Snap8.jpgSnap9.jpg

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11 stops importing from DV
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hans

The good news is that you were able to capture your DV data with Windows Movie Maker if not Premiere Elements.

Since that is the case, I do not know if you have any more time or want to do any further troubleshooting on DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window.

If you should, we might revisit a lot of what we did and then more.

a. Scratch Disks. Especially the Captured Video and Audio, but also any preview files or conformed video and audio files pile ups. Have you checked the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder? Has your computer been defragmented lately.

b. General computer optimization with a product such as ccleaner (regular and registry components).

c. In general for runtime error

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-c-runtime-errors-products.html

There is a Premiere Elements 11 preference file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. On Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit it can be found in the path

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Work with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

But, if you are working in Windows 8 32 bit, I am not sure where that would be...guess is

Local Disc C

Documents and Settings

Owner

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder would be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Again, work with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path....just in case.

Thanks you for all your follow ups. Continued success with your projects.

ATR