18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2013 3:56 AM by timeofthemoon

Help with color balance

timeofthemoon Level 1

Hello.

I created an effect and used color balance to do so. All layers are affected.

This was fine until I put this effect over a photo.

The photo is affected by the color balance. I wish to have the photo as it was originally and the layers above that which create an effect to have the color balance.

How can I keep the photo the original color and still have the other layers with the color balance on?

I'm using CS3.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help with color balance
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Create a mask, group the layers, rearrange the layer stack - whatever works. Your question is way too generic and without a screenshot of the actual layer stack nobody can advise specifically.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help with color balance
            timeofthemoon Level 1

Well grouping doesn't work. I don't know much about using masks. I'll do a screenshot in a minute.

But to hopefully make it a little clearer before then...

Layers:

color balance

layer 3

layer 2

layer 1

Photo

Layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3 all need the color balance which is currently at the top of the layers. Photo has to be at the bottom  under layers 1-3 but does not want the color balance to affect it.

• 3. Re: Help with color balance
              timeofthemoon Level 1

Screenshot.jpg

Ok, this image shows the layers. The image on the left is the photo as it was and how I wish it to stay (just with added effects on top). The image on the right is the one that has the color balance on it. As you can see it's changing the color of the photo when all I really want it to do is change the color of the other layers.

• 4. Re: Help with color balance
                NeilG1217

I cannot make out what in the extra layers, but I presume there are little pieces of image.  If so, here's another way that might work, without having to make a mask.  1.  As a safety measure, make copies of all the Layer 1s. 

2.  Merge the new layers, and turn off the visibility of the original Layer 1s.

3.  Rearrange the layers so that the new merged layer is under the Color Balance.

4.  On Windows, right-click on the Color Balance layer to open the layer-action menu.  (If you are on a Mac, you may have to Option-Click or something like that, but someone else will have to tell you exactly what.)

5.  Click Create Clipping Mask.  This will associate the Color Balance only with the new merged layer.  If this works, the Color Balance layer will move to the right, and a lock will appear.

I hope this helps.

Neil

• 5. Re: Help with color balance
                  timeofthemoon Level 1

The extra layers are just white patches. The color balance is to give it a fire type effect, although it looks more like that on a black background (and hopefully without the photo being colored).

I can't merge the layers are they need to animate them which will mean showing one at a time.

• 6. Re: Help with color balance
                    Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure your photo layer is not in the group and that you have changed the group blend mode from "Pass Through" to "Normal?"  This should work - I do it all the time without issue.

• 8. Re: Help with color balance
                      timeofthemoon Level 1

I did the colour balance on another document and then dragged it over to the document with the photo on so it shouldn't be grouped.

The blend mode is on normal. Not quite sure what you mean by "pass through" though so I might be missing something there lol.

• 9. Re: Help with color balance
                        timeofthemoon Level 1

Ah, thanks. Them layers were set to pass through. When I put it to normal it loses the color though from the color balance on all layers (so the fire colours aren't there, it's just white). The photo is fine now though.

• 10. Re: Help with color balance
                          timeofthemoon Level 1

I tried merging the layers just to see if it works, but obviously it ruins the animation which I need. However, as soon as I create the mask the color goes and it's just white.

Also have the same problem when I group the layers.

• 11. Re: Help with color balance

It sounds like some of your other layers have blend modes that are negated when you group them and change the group blend mode to something other than "Pass Through."  To get around this, you can clip the adjustment layer to the group. 

clip to group.jpg

• 12. Re: Help with color balance
                              timeofthemoon Level 1

All layer modes are on blend mode normal. Once I change it to that it looks the color. Probably a stupid question, but how do you clip the adjustment layer to the group?

Edit:

Looking at that image I managed to get something that looked like that but ti appears to be creating a mask with curves and a group below and I can't do that it won't let me. Am I missing something?

That aside, doing that with the mask to a group (whether all in a group except photo or none in a group) it is still losing the color. Again, I made sure the blend mode was on normal otherwise the whole lot is colored.

• 13. Re: Help with color balance
                                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's your problem: Your patches are pure white. Color balance won't do anything then. You need to have some sort of gradient to take it down from pure white, so that color balance has something, anything, to work on. An adjustment layer, set up as above, will then work.

If you want a flame-like effect the patches should be slightly darker towards the (soft) edges. The easiest way to do that is to lock transparency and paint with black (soft brush, low opacity).

layers2.png

Perhaps you should also set the group blend mode to Lighten instead of Normal, if that gives a more realistic effect. Anything but Pass Through.

• 14. Re: Help with color balance
                                  timeofthemoon Level 1

How is it that the adjustment layer appears to be creating a mask with a group? I can't do that and if it needs to be that way then it's not going to work.

Coloring them with black only makes the color show on the outside of the circles, before the whole circle was colored which is how I wanted it.

Something odd going on though. Clicked through the layers and had color, went through again and no color, did it again and had color. The animation is also messed up; on some frames the photo has color and on others it doesn't and sometimes the effect is all white and then suddenly it's colored again.

• 15. Re: Help with color balance

I forget in what version you can clip an adjustment layer to a group, so depending up what version of PS you have, you may or may not be able to do this.  But you just put the adj layer above the group then while pressing the alt/opt key click between the adj layer and the group in the layer pallet.

• 16. Re: Help with color balance
                                      timeofthemoon Level 1

I'm using CS3. Pressing alt doesn't do anything.

• 17. Re: Help with color balance
                                        D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

timeofthemoon wrote:

Coloring them with black only makes the color show on the outside of the circles

That's why you need to lock transparency (see screenshot above, the symbol right next to "lock).

Again: You can't use pure white patches and expect Color Balance to do anything. It's white and it'll remain white. You need to make it not white for Color Balance to have any effect.

• 18. Re: Help with color balance
                                          timeofthemoon Level 1

I did lock the transparency. It didn't help. I changed the color of them but color balance still didn't do anything.