11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 5:42 AM by A.T. Romano

How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11

Buddycat Level 1

"Simple" question.   I want to overlay a round graphic on video.   My first problem is my round graphic has 4 black corners around it because it was saved as a jpg.   Is there some effect where I can crop off the corners with some round effect?   I tried manipulating the iris transition, but couldn't keep it in one place.   I couldn't figure out how to matte it.   Suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you already have the Matte created, I would just go back to Ps/PsE, Delete the white Background, then Save as PSD, to preserve Transparency. PNG format can also preserve Transparency, but JPEG cannot.

You could also create your "circle" with a Shape (no Stroke) in PrE's Titler, and it will also have Transparency.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Buddycat

Still not completely focused in on your goal. Are you looking for a frame with rounded corners to go over you graphic? If so, what color frame?

I am also not sure of the look that you are after. Have you considered something like the Vignetting Effect: fx Effects/Advanced Adjustments with fine tuning in the Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Vignetting panel expanded options?

ATR

• 3. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
              Buddycat Level 1

What I'm trying to do is similar to the other problem we discussed with mattes.   Here is the picture in question.  Look Back Picture jpeg.jpg

I decided to try something a bit different, but I still have all the black surrounding my sphere so that I'd have to shrink it even further to get it to fit within the space below the clock face.  

• 4. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Buddycat

I do not think I am focused in yet on this, but I am giving this a try. Are you looking for something like this

Matte.JPG

ATR

• 5. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                  Buddycat Level 1

Zoomed table clock jpeg.jpg

This is how I want the clock to appear on screen.   I just want to the multi-colored sphere to fit witnin the black space.  The problem is, when I just reduce the video source of the sphere, you have to reduce the image so much to get rid of the corners, it's hard to see (you see the corners of  black surrounding the sphere in the previous image above)..   Does that make more sense?  

• 6. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Buddycat

Not sure we are on the wave length yet, but I think maybe.

Is this what you are looking for in the end result?

Ex.JPG

If so, the answer is your multi-colored sphere on video 2 with a garbage matte applied and garbage matte set so as to "fit" the sphere into the black space and your clock image on video 1. My screenshot used as source your zoomed screenshot and the garbage matte applied to your screenshot in post 3.

Please let us know if that works for you or back to the drawing board. More information of garbage mattes will be supplied if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                      Buddycat Level 1

Yeah!   That's it.  Now, the question is how to accomplish that effect.   I'm still a little fuzzy on the garbage matte, as I've only done it once.

• 8. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Buddycat

Great news.

You can decide on the actual video tracks and on scaling and such, but here is the idea.

Your multi colored sphere on Video 2 .

Your clock on Video 1.

Position/scale the sphere image over the clock's black space into which it is to fit so that it looks like it is in the black space rather than hanging out of it.

fx Effects/Keying/Eight-Point Garbage Matte. Drag that into the sphere file on Video 2.

Go to Applied Effects Tab (right side of Expert workspace)/Applied Effects Palette/Eight- Point Garbage Matte Panel expanded. However, we are going to use the points on screen rather than adjust the numbers in that Panel. But, to see the 8 points on screen (if you lose sight of them), we need to keep the Eight-Point Garbage Matte Panel selected. Click on that Panel once if you lose the points.

On screen move the points inward so that everything outside the points is hidden, and everything that you want is inside the points. All you want to do is hide any portions of the black in the sphere image that go beyond the specific black area in the clock.

A just in case note, keep the sphere layer on Video 2 selected while all this is going on.

GarbageMatte.JPG

If the instructions need fine tuning, please do not hesitate to let me know.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...In case you are wondering, I increased the Magnification so that you could see better those 8 points garbage matte points..

• 9. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                          Buddycat Level 1

Ah!   Y'know, it never occured to that I could crop it down via multi-point Garbage Matte.    I was thihking I needed to be able to surround it with many, many points.   Let me try that!

• 10. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                            Buddycat Level 1

It worked!   Brilliant!   Thank you,sir!

• 11. Re: How to Create a Round Matte Effect in PE11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Buddycat

Thanks for that great news. Glad that worked for you.

Note the garbage mattes come in three types,  4, 8, and 16 points...whichever works for you. I thought 8 would do the job satisfactorily in this case.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR