10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 9:12 PM by A.T. Romano

GPU Acceleration?

Jcgsville

Does Premiere Elements benefit from any GPU acceleration? Would there be any benefit to getting a GTX 770 over a GTX 660 or something along those lines?

• 1. Re: GPU Acceleration?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jcgsville

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

In the days of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, there were some GPU Effects and GPU Transitions offered within the regular Effects and Transitions. Those disappeared after version 8.0/8.0.1. That is about the size of it for Premiere Elements. Until proven otherwise, you do not gain a Premiere Elements advantage with a super video card. Not so for Premiere Pro.

Right now specifically Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card users have been hit with a display problem whose fix is to roll back the video card driver rather than assure that the latest version of the driver is installed.

The following Adobe document may be of interest in a general way

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/supported-devices-premiere-elements.html

My answer to your question

Does Premiere Elements benefit from any GPU acceleration?

My answer would be no.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GPU Acceleration?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with ATR, regarding a more powerful, and expensive video card. Premiere Elements will not really benefit much, and probably not at all, from going with the more powerful card.

Most current video cards, with about 1GB VRAM, will do the same thing with PrE.

Now, the important thing, when chosing a video card for Premiere Elements is the updating of the video driver. ATR points out a current issue with PrE 10, and the latest nVidia driver. That is uncommon, but has happened in the past. Having either an nVidia, or AMD/ATI card, that is current, and getting their driver development support, is of importance - a bad driver release notwithstanding.

Now, if you are also thinking about using Photoshop, as of about CS 5, or later, After Effects, or Premiere Pro, then things do change. What we are recommending is based on Premiere Elements only, and would apply to Photoshop Elements too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: GPU Acceleration?
              Jcgsville Level 1

Thanks that answers my question! I might plan to upgrade to Premiere Pro in the future through Creative Cloud. Then I'd benefit from a more powerful GPU, right?

• 4. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jcgsville

There is much that can be accomplished with Premiere Elements. So, please give it a try for your video editing plans.

Here is some Premiere Pro GPU CUDA reading material to help you to decide if you really really need it for what you want to accomplish...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere -pro.html

Success with whatever you decision is.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you ARE anticipating upgrading to PrPro, then there ARE considerations. You WILL benefit from having a CUDA enabled card, where PrE does not benefit. The CUDA cores will have a strong bearing on what you need, what you buy, and how well it works in PrPro.

For more details on CUDA and Adobe MPE, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4152667#4152667

Please remember, that is for PrPro, as of CS 5, and NOT for Premiere Elements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                    Jcgsville Level 1

I plan on using Elements unless i find there is something I need that isn't in it. I just wanted to know for sure. Thanks for the help!

• 7. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                      Jcgsville Level 1

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep it all in mind when deciding which card to purchase.

• 8. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jcgsville

Thanks for the follow up.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions when you get into your Premiere Elements workflows.

And, if you do not have Premiere Elements at this time, I would encourage you to go the free 30 day tryout of the program from Adobe before any purchase to assure its feature set meets your needs and that the program is compatible with your computer environment. Adobe offers as tryout only the current version. At this time it would be version 12.

I suggest the tryout before purchase for all software, not just Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 9. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                          glfnchf24

Thank you for the information that you and ATR both supplied to Jcgsville.  I have been searching myself on the web, and finally found this part of the forum with the answer as I already own the Premiere/Photoshop Elements package.  I also found this from MacWorld as well: "http://www.macworld.com/article/2049101/premiere-elements-12-review-a-compelling-choice-fo r-video-newbies.html", letting current/prospective owners know about GPU Acceleration (none) for the "Elements" package.  I have an i7-3930K sitting in an Asrock Extreme6 motherboard with 32GB of AData RAM, separate drives for OS/Apps, preview, and output (RAID 10) and could not figure out why it seemed to take so long.  Seems the case with the S**y Home Studio product as well, compared to it's "Big Brother".  I like the idea of downloading the trial versions, and see that I can do that for the CC versions, so may give that a try so I can utilize that MSI GeForce GTX 760 card.  Again, thank you both (Bill Hunt and A.T. Romano) for the input.  I'm going to both of the links you two provided to Jcgsville.

Sincerely,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan

• 10. Re: GPU Acceleration?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the news of your progress.

Glad for the opportunity to assist in your Premiere Elements considerations.

Please let us know of further developments when you get the chance.

Thank you.

ATR