15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 7:36 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements

Marmotte06 Level 1

I just upgraded from Elements+Premiere 11 to version 12, on Windows 8.1 x64.

I produced a 1st .mpg file (HDTV 1080p 25 img/s), and imported it in Elements Organizer.

Unfortunately, the Organizer doesn't generate any thumbnail for the file.

This is a new "behavior" of the Organizer 12, because the Organizer 11 use to generate thumbnails properly.

I tried to manually update the thumbnail (right click), but after waiting several seconds, there is still no thumbnail appearing.

Olivier

• 1. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
          Barbara B. Level 7

I think you'll find more help with this in the Premiere Elements forum, so I'll move this over there for you.

• 2. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Marmotte06

Shortly I will try to repeat your results with Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

What is this export that you are trying to get into the Elements Organizer 12

(HDTV 1080p 25 img/s)

Is that 25 frames per second?

Did you use Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality or something else?

Did you try any other formats as they relate to your issue?

Are you saying that you hve been there and done all this with success with Premiere Elements 11 (what operating system if so or was version 11 on Windows 7 or other)?

Thanks. We will be watching for further details.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
              Marmotte06 Level 1

Thanks Barbara and Romano for heping,

Yes, in Premiere Elements 12 I used Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality. I also tried with 720p and HD 720p25.

Actually, the problem is worse than just the thumbnails not appearing in the Organizer: the Organizer can't read ANY mpg video, even the ones I produced with Premiere Elements 11.

I also tryed to read these videos from the windows explorer: neither the WIndows Media Player nor Quicktime can play them. Only VLC can play them.

So, I suspect there is something wrong with the codecs used/installed by Elements 12.

Note: I have the latest versions of all softwares and drivers: Windows 8.1 x64, latest Catalyst drivers for my HD 7750 card, Quicktime 7.7.4, VLC 2.1.1, IE 11, etc.

Some additional info on my config: Intel i7 2700K on Z77 chipset, 8GB RAM. The CPU has Intel HD 3000 graphics but I use an AMD HD 7750 graphics card instead. I therefore did not install the Intel HD Graphics device driver (but win 8.1 might have istalled its defaut driver, I don't know)

Olivier

• 4. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marmotte06

There is a known issue with Windows 8.1 with regard to .mpg, independant of Premiere Elements.

Today I am hoping to do the actual run through of the problem that you ran into. I will be using Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I want to look at the situation with and without downloading and installing Media Player Classic Home Cimema (MPC-HC).

More later.

ATR

Add On...Did installation of the VLC player impact the Elements Organizer 12's behavior to your .mpg? Do you have any problems with H.264.mp4 in this regard?

• 5. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                  Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 a few weeks ago, with Elements+Premiere 11 already installed since a year. The whole thing worked like a charm, I could display the .mpg videos produced by Premiere 11 by double-clicking their thumbnail in the Organizer, etc.

The problem started when I upgraded to Elements+Premiere 12 this week-end (from a purchased DVD). So perhaps there are known issues with Win 8.1, but the net is that with Elements+Premiere 12, I get a problem which was absent before.

To answer you additional question: VLC 2.1.0 was already installed for a while, without any problem, but I very recently updated it to 2.1.1, before upgrading Elements+Premiere to v12. So, I can't tell whether VLC impacts the Organizer. I will uninstall VLC tonight and tell you the effect.

Regarding mp4, I will do some testing tonight.

Olivier

• 6. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                    Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi ATR, I have made good progress:

I found that any attempt to read videos with Quick-Time 7.7.4 resulted in an "error 1856". Some search on Internet told me this is a recurrent problem of QT. Some tell that you need to run QT with admin rights to solve it, but it didn't work for me. So my conclusion is that QT is crap and I uninstalled it. After all, running Apple stuff on Windows cannot be sane, I should have guessed ;-)

I also uninstalled VLC without any effect. I will reinstall it later on because it is an excellent player.

I eventually looked for an alternative to QT, and found the K-Lite codeck pack. I installed it, and everything works fine again: I can view my mpg files from the organizer, I can successfully update the thumbnails to retrieve them, etc.

Thanks for your support. My only question is: why does Adobe recommend Quick-Time ???

BTW, I will report other minor problems I found in the Organizer and Premiere in a separate discussion thread.

Olivier

• 7. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

The good news is great. But, I am not completely sure that we are out of bad news yet.

QuickTime is a Premiere Elements requirement and working with Administrative Priviledges is a must for Premiere Elements and said to be a must for QuickTime as well. Besides the miscellaneous issues that development when you do not follow those guidelines, one obvious issue is that you will have no QuickTime presets when you get to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. There will be issues with other exports too. Please check that out and let us know what you found.

The only software that I have ever used successfully in place of the latest version of QuickTime was QuickTime Alternative 1.81 when I was working with MPEG Streamclip for conversion purposes on a project.

Adobe gathers its Premiere Elements codec typically from QuickTime and Windows Media.

Please review and then we can compare notes.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I am still working on the comparative mpg results I promised. Coming soon.

• 8. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Here are the results from my test of your situation where you tried to import 3 Premiere Elements 12 created files into the Elements Organizer 12 after their creation and save to the hard drive.

The 3 files from Premiere Elements 12 were

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 720p25 High Quality

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HD 720p25

The same scheme was used for each, and the results were the same for each...

Imported into Elements Organizer 12, File Menu/Photos and Videos/Files and Folders.

In the Elements Organizer 12, each imported with a thumbnail displaying only a filmstrip icon.

Next I double click the thumbnail and got playback of the video in the Elements Organizer 12 without issue.

Next I right clicked the thumbnail and selected Update Thumbnail. It did within a few seconds. The thumbnail then displayed the first frame of the video.

I ran this test on a laptop with Windows 8.1 64 bit computer operating system. Installed on this computer along with Premiere Elements 12...QuickTime latest version, iTunes latest version, a PowerDVD player. Windows Media Player 12 appeared to be there but not yet activated. No VLC player or other.

For the moment I am assuming that codec were essentially from QuickTime and from what Premiere Elements 12 brought along.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                          Marmotte06 Level 1

Thanks ATR for the comments. For now I can live with the K-Lite codecs (which actually comes with Media Player Classic), since I never publish for Quicktime (I essentially watch my videos on TVs and PVc).

I already used Quicktime Alternative some years ago, with Premier Elements 8 or so. But Quicktime Alternative isn't supported anymore and is quite old, now.

Olivier

• 10. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                            Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi again ATR, and thanks for the testings.

I read in various forums that Quicktime (as well as VLC and other modern players) is very dependent on the Video hardware and device drivers. Just for my curiosity: what CPU and graphic hardware do you have on your system ?

I suspect that on my system Quicktime is trying to leverage the HD-3000 video circuit of my Intel CPU, but can't do it because I didn't install its device driver (because I use an alternate Radeon graphic card).

Olivier

• 11. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

The laptop description includes

Intel Pentium CPU B980 @ 2.40 GHz

The video card is Intel HD Graphics

ATR

• 12. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                                Marmotte06 Level 1

Ok, Thanks for the info, you are using the HD graphics in your CPU, that confirms my suspicion.

When I have some time I'll try to do so to check whether that solves the problem.

Anyway, my impression is that Quicktime for Windows is not Apple's cup of tea, and they probably don't test all the possible PC configurations. So, as far as can avoid QT, I'll avoid it.

Do you know whether PRE could work with the K-Lite codecs alone, or whther it absolutely requires the Media Plyar Classic that goes with it ?

Also, I wonder why PRE can't leverage VLC and its codecs, since VLC can read all the video formats that QT, MPC, and MPW can read. Do you know ?

Olivier

• 13. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of the VLC CODEC's (about the same for MediaPlayer Classic HC), they are not installed in the system, but are installed in the program, so that it can access them, when there is not a system CODEC available.

Apple's QT Player for the PC has, historically, been a bit of a can-o-worms. Early on in the 7 series updates, there were quite a few, that broke many Adobe programs. It seemed that Apple had never tested them on machines with Adobe apps. That is one reason that I wait for the "reports from the field," before I update my QT Players (QT Pro in my cases). Then, I hold onto my "known good" version, until I really need to update it - I do the same with iTunes on my PC - if I do not have a major need to update, I do not.

Hunt

PS - I am not a big fan of the K-Lite CODEC Pack, or really any CODEC Pack, unless from MainConcept, MicroSoft, Black Magic, etc., but others have used it, and love it.

• 14. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                                    Marmotte06 Level 1

Thanks for the advice Bill,

I have made a last atempt with QT by rolling back to 7.7.2, which used to work with Win 8.1 and PRE 11 before I upgraded to PRE 12.

But this QT 7.7.2 also failed to work with PRE 12. The net is that there is an incompatibility between QT, PRE 12, WIN 8.1, and my specific system.

I'll wait that Apple publishes an updated QT to give it a try, but for now I will live with the minimum set of K-Lite codecs and with VLC.

Olivier

• 15. Re: Elements Organizer 12 doesn't generate thumbnails for .mpg videos produced by Premiere Elements
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Please refer to my prior post numbered 8....

Previously in this thread I wrote

I ran this test on a laptop with Windows 8.1 64 bit computer operating system. Installed on this computer along with Premiere Elements 12...QuickTime latest version, iTunes latest version, a PowerDVD player. Windows Media Player 12 appeared to be there but not yet activated. No VLC player or other.

Emphasis, "QuickTime latest version" on Windows 8.1 64 bit...that would be QuickTime 7.7.4.

Therefore, if you have QuickTime 7.7.4 installed on your Windows 8.1 64 bit, I would have no generalized expectation that the version of QuickTime is a factor in what you are experiencing. But, you seem to have proven that idea to yourself in the QuickTime version roll backs that you tried.

ATR