10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 12:49 PM by OlMulie

InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7

OlMulie

I've just installed CS2 so I can update my PM7 files, but they won't open.  I'm gettin a message "The pagemaker document is damaged and can't be opened".  I'm using Windows 7 - any suggestions?

• 1. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS2 will not open PM on anything later than Win XP SP2.

• 2. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
            Doc Maik Level 4

I started with CS2 years ago on Windows XP. When we moved to Windows 7, I still had CS2 and I'm pretty sure it could open PM5 or P65 files, like my current CS6 can. What I don't know anymore if CS2 could open PMD files.

My suggestion: save the PMD files with PM7 as *.P65 and then try to open in CS2.

Only problem: PM7 does not run on Windows 7 or at least very badly. So you might be forced to install Windows XP mode, in case you got a Pro version.

• 3. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS2 PM conversion of PM6, P65 and PMD files was broken when XP SP3 was

released. It was never fixed. Any attempt to open a PM file with CS2 running

on anything later than XP SP2 will fail.

• 4. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                Doc Maik Level 4

OK, didn't know that. So it was most probably SP2 I had on my PC back then.

@OlMulie: I suggest you install Windows XP mode, which is supposed to be SP1 or SP2 (not sure) and then PM7 on it and just try

• 5. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Just a reminder to all with archives of PageMaker documents …

Development and enhancement of PageMaker was effectively terminated with release of InDesign 1.0 over 14 years ago. The final version of PageMaker (7.0) was released over 12 years ago with the absolute last patch release (7.0.2) released 10 years ago. It does not install on any MacOS version currently available (you need old hardware and old OS versions). For Windows, support is effectively limited to Windows XP 32-bit and earlier, although it may be coerced to install on later versions of Windows. (The PDF creation capability in PageMaker 7 is based on a headless version of Distiller 4! Installation and running of that on modern Windows may be exceptionally problematic!)

As such, you should take the hint, find some appropriate archaic hardware and software configuration, and convert any remaining PageMaker formatted documents that you have need to access to InDesign at your earliest possible convenience. The longer you wait, the more problems you will encounter accessing these documents.

- Dov

• 6. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a Windows 7 user, and I have CS2 installed in the XP virtual machine, but I don't recall if I've ever tried to open a PM file.

You need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, though, to run XP mode.

• 7. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                      OlMulie Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I currently used PM7 on an XP machine and I realize that XP is about to also be extinct as far as support goes and I am looking at InDesign as a way to upgrade.  Cost being an issue at the moment (as I will need to upgrade Photoshop and Windows 7 also), and not being familiar with InDesign, we wanted to start at the low end of the totem pole until we were familiar with InDesign before we bit the bullet and upgrade once we were familiar.  Unfortunately I didn't research well enough to realize that CS2 does not work on Windows 7 (which is installed on my laptop).  So with all that in consideration, we will work our way up somehow.

Thanks - Tanna

• 8. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                        OlMulie Level 1

Thanks!!!

• 9. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                          OlMulie Level 1

I have the XP virtual machine on my laptop, but didn't try to install CS2 there.  I will give that a shot and if that works.  Thanks!!!

• 10. Re: InDesign 2 and Pagemaker 7
                            OlMulie Level 1

Thanks - I will try that.  I'm wanting to learn InDesign before I have to break the bank for the newer versions