4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 11:57 AM by Chuck Uebele

3D Text misc

FauxtoGuy Level 1

I'm new to Text Extrusions in Photoshop CC (Ext) as I typically model in a 3D app. I'm modeling text that will merge with a photographic background. All the tools are fairly straightforward, but I keep getting hard edges on the text bevels. I just want a basic smooth rounded bevel (fairly narrow). But the bevel options I choose all tend to create a dark outline at the bevel. Is it possible to edit the bevel options?

Also, even though I have selected soft shadows, the shadows cast by the letterform onto itself have hard edged raytrace shadows. Is there a setting the will softe the shadow edges?

I have viewed a couple of helpful tutorial videos, but they don't address the issues I'm trying to solve.

Any suggestions? Links to related tutorials?

thanks

• 1. Re: 3D Text misc
          SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you post a sample of the bevel your trying to achieve? What dark outlines are you seeing?

I'm also not sure what is happening that you are getting hard edged shadows? Maybe it's the dtstance from the shadow casting surface being very close to the shadow catching surface?

Here's an example I put together of text extrusion generated with Ps CC 14.1.2:

bezelSoftShadow.png

regards,

steve

• 2. Re: 3D Text misc
            FauxtoGuy Level 1

Must've been pilot error. Works well now but VERY slow rendering compared to my 3D apps.

Is there a way to project environmental image maps onto objects? I need to have a numeral appear to be sitting on a lawn. Would be nice if I could (subtly) project lawn/sky onto model -esp. w/soft reflections.

In standard 3D rendering, there are typically features where a photographic image is projected virtually into the scene to either be reflected by shiny objects, or add hues to matt finishes as "radiosity". Can this be done in PShop 3D rendering?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: 3D Text misc
              SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

Which version of Ps are you using? There's support for enviroment maps on a per material basis, and in more recent versions (Ps CC6 +) support for IBL. The material roughness values also changed starting with Ps CS6, so matt finishes render a bit better in more recent versions.

If you have a sample file I can take a look and point you to the controls.

regards,

steve

• 4. Re: 3D Text misc
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I saw a tutorial on this on the NAPP website a while back.  You can make a 3D plane with a cut out (opacity mask) then position it out of your frame.  Then by putting a point light source above that plane, you can project the light onto your other 3D objects.