6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2013 10:52 PM by station_two

Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker

ThePartyBoutique

I REALLY hope someone can help me with this issue. I have my own party decoration business. I had to stop my printing services because out of the blue one day, my printer just messed up everything. I no longer have it as it broke down, but now I have the same problem with no matter what printer I use to print the same file. It's suppose to print purple, and it prints the purple parts pink. It turns the aqua blue into more of a royal blue. I am using Photoshop 7.0. It also did the same thing to me in CS2.

I have tried 4 different computers, 3 different printers, and 3 different operating systems. Can someone PLEASE help me!?

• 1. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Sounds like you really need to brush up on the (complex) subject of color-management.

Color-management involves calibrating and profiling both your monitor and your printer, so that when you think it's purple it really is purple in the file, then so that it actually prints purple.

It's not really possible to teach color-management on a forum, but if you'd like to describe how you're opening your files, what color settings you're using, how you're printing, etc. in some detail, I'm sure there are those here who can help you find particular settings to help you get things done.

What kind of files are you working on?  Photos from your camera, designs you make up in Photoshop, ...???

-Noel

• 2. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Noel said, you need to educate yourself about color management on all ends - monitores, printers, document color profiles.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
              ThePartyBoutique Level 1

I never had an issue printing before. I printed hundreds of orders without touching a single setting, and everything came out exact. I had a period of time for 2 weeks where I didn't print anything. I go to print something then and have had problems ever since. It's items that I am making in Photoshop. I've used the same exact program for the last 4 years, I just don't understand why NOW out of no where I am having issues.

And I really don't know what color settings or anything I'm using. Like I said, I've always just opened up a new JPEG file at 300dpi RGB and saved the images that way. Then when I'm ready to print, I would just open it up in Photoshop, go to print and change the paper size. Nothing ever had to be changed before.

• 4. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
                Level 5

ThePartyBoutique wrote:

…I really don't know what color settings or anything I'm using…

Then you can't very well expect that anyone would be in a position to help you troubleshoot your issue. 

• 5. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
                  Level 5

Since you say this started "suddenly", at the very least nuke and reset your Photoshop preferences:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

Preferences files vary by name and location for each version of Photoshop. Use this document to find or re-create preferences files for Photoshop CS6.

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Note: If this process doesn't work for you while you're using a wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard, attach a wired keyboard and retry.

Important: If you re-create the preferences by deleting the Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings file, make sure that you only delete that file. If you delete the entire settings folder, you also delete any unsaved actions or presets.

Reinstalling Photoshop does not remove the preferences file. Before reinstalling Photoshop, re-create your preferences.

NEW Video! Julieanne Kost created a video that takes you through two ways of resetting your Photoshop preferences. The manual preference file removal method is between 0:00 - 5:05. The keyboard shortcut method is between 5:05 - 8:18. The video is located here.

Mac OS

Important: Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of Mac OS X 10.7. If  you require access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

• 6. Re: Purple prints pink and blue prints Darker
                    Level 5

You can start learning about Color Management here:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html