7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 6:54 AM by BillyDBrown

How to sync audio and video files?

BillyDBrown

I'm trying to sync separate video and audio files. I'm recording .wav audio with a digital audio recorder and feeding the signal through to my Sony A57 camera where I am also recording it. My intent was to add both files to my PE timelines and sync them by lining up the wave spike from a "clap" on both files. Unfortunately, I'm not getting very far. When I try to move one clip to line up with the other on the time line, it turns black and I can't see what I'm doing anymore. Sort of like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey". Very tedious and my results are not good. There has to be a better way or something simple I should change to make this work. Anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyD,

One thing that might be helpful to you, would be a Nudge of the Audio. This works in PrE 11, so might be "version-specific."

First, for doing what you wish to accomplish, I would zoom in on the Timeline (horizontal zoom), and also vertically expand the Audio Track (perhaps the Video Track too). One does that from the Track Header, by hovering the Cursor over the little line between the Tracks, and when that turns into an equal sign with up/down arrows, Click+drag.

Now, since your Audio is separate from the Video, just Select the Audio Clip. Hold down the Alt key, and use the left, or right arrow keys, to Nudge the Clip.

If one had muxed Audio & Video (both an Audio and a Video Stream, in one file), they would first want to Unlink the Audio & Video. One can unlink by holding down the Alt key, and clicking on JUST the Audio (or the Video, depending on which one wishes to edit).  You will see a little box in the upper-left of the Clip appear, showing how much you have Nudged it.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - I find that the Clip, being Moved, going black is a poor design by Adobe, but they never consulted me - or you...

• 2. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

It looks like Hunt saw my comments in your other thread and took a shorter path back to the thread that we were talking about.

The "nudging" techniques were going to be what I was going to suggest, but your mention of live feeds of audio and video had me double thinking about that before commenting. I still wonder about that.

I would supplement the "nudging" details, if applicable for your situation,

Select your file, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you tap the right or left arrow key once...you get a 1 frame nudge per tap...continue subsequent taps as indicated.

Select your file, hold down the Shift+Alt keys (together) of the computer main keyboard as you tap the right or left arrow key once...you get a 5 frames nudge per tap...continue subsequent taps as indicated.

Glad to see we have some activity in your thread. Hoping we find what you need to achieve your goal.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
              BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks Al, that'll work.

Agreed black clip is a frustrating thing. But the nudge will get me within a fraction of a frame. I suppose that is precise enough.

• 4. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
                BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks A.T., the added info was also helpful.

Sorry about misleading you with my "live" camera description. I meant only to distinguish it from a screencast. It is a recording with a movie camera and not a live feed. The "nudge" tips will work.

• 5. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

Thanks for the clarification. In retrospect I should have posted earlier and just asked for verification on your workflow.

But, looks like great news in that you achieved your workflow and project goal. Great work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
                    garryknight

Here's a video explaining how to use an external editor, e.g. Audacity, to get your audio and video aligned as precisely as possible.

• 7. Re: How to sync audio and video files?
                      BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks Gary! A very helpful and relevant instructional video. I've watched and bookmarked it. I'll need to revisit it and Audacity if I get an echo and there is an apparent sync problem between video and audio recorder.