10 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2017 2:12 PM by gkaiseril

How to create sequential number field?

jennifer1200 Level 1

I have created a pdf file and I'd like to have a field with sequential numbers.

For instance, if I open my pdf now and it has number 1 in the field, 'd like to have number 2 in the field the next time that I open the file, and so on...

• 1. Re: How to create sequential number field?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Go to Tools - JavaScript - Document JavaScripts and create a new script with the following code (remove any default code that's inside the window when you first open it):

var f = this.getField("Serial Number");

f.value = Number(f.value)+1;

f.defaultValue = f.value;

Of course, you'll might need to adjust the field name in the first line of code.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create sequential number field?
            jennifer1200 Level 1

Thank you so much. It worked.

• 3. Re: How to create sequential number field?
              drk13 Level 1

This solution works great if you save the form each time after the new number count is generated.

Is there a way to have a form do a +1 each time it is opened without having to save the form?

I want to be able to give a customer a bill of lading and each time they open the blank form it generates a new auto BOL number that is +1 from the last time they opened it.

• 4. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How do you want the serial number field to act if the form has been assigned a serial number?

There are a lot of issues that need to be worked out for this to work well.

If the customer has it on his/her own machine how do you control the numbers across all your customers?

Will the form always be open on a machine that is always connected to the internet?

• 5. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                  drk13 Level 1

It will be a unique identifier number for that document whether printed, saved or emailed.

It is a pdf form with submit buttons, so the form information can be submitted via email as well as saved to the users computer if they wish.

If the number happens to reset with a new user on a different computer that is fine. I have decided that each user will have another field to enter their initials or a number unique only to them that will prevent confusion on duplicate numbers. For example: AB4583 (hard coded #)-______ (unique number propagates here) - _____ (User enters their initials or # here)

The primary goals is for each individual user to be able to reopen the same blank form and not see the same number twice.

I read about global objects but the document was a little more advanced than my skill level and I was not sure how to proceed with that set up. It was also a fairly old article.

Thank you

• 6. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                    PhantomGrey Level 1

The script works great when opening the file. I am looking for a way to do a +1 every time the document is printed. Is there a way to do that?

• 7. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                      try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Move the code to the document's Will Print event, which you can find under Tools - JavaScript - Set Document Actions.

Edit: If you want the number to change after the file is printed use the Did Print event in the same location...

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                        doctorcaballero Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to collect data about surgery results at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months.... is it possible to recover an autunumbered form so I can continue filling more fields?

for example. patient 1 - form assign 1 in id field, then I collect data of first week, but the form is already prepared for 1 month, 6 months, etc... Can I recover later the form number 1 so I con continue filling the rest of the form?

Thanks in advance

• 9. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

That choice is entirely with the form designer, you need to discuss your needs with them.

• 10. Re: How to create sequential number field?
                            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would add some code to test if the "defaultValue" is empty and then add the serial number and if it is not empty then do not update the number. Your source document will have to be saved with the "defaultValue" of the field cleared.