8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 7:08 AM by MW Design

InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF

VictoriaP

I used a font while working on a document in InDesign and later while exporting to PDF I got a warning that the software is unable to include that font.

Is there a way to go around it? It was a free cyrillic font and it's not possible to buy it. I suppose creating outlines is not the right way to go

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not InDesign that is stopping it.

The font itself is software, and the ability to embed or not is decided in the font itself, as it's programmed that way.

Most free fonts that I know of don't allow embedding - for this reason it's not a good idea to use a free font.

You can contact the font vendor for a version that allows embedding, and they might or might not have a small charge for this embedable version.

But realistically I wouldn't use free fonts.

There's no way around it - except outlining the font - but just as Embedding the Font is against it's EULA - I imagine that Outlining the font would also be against the EULA.

The EULA is the End User Licence Agreement that you agree to when you presented with the download. It gives all the information on what the font may be used for and how to use it.

Order of preference to resolve issue.

1. Contact the font Vendor for a version that allows embedding.

2. Use a different font

3. Convert to outlines

• 2. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Order of preference to resolve issue.

1. Contact the font Vendor for a version that allows embedding.

2. Use a different font

3. Convert to outlines

Sorry 3 should read

*3. Convert to Outlines (and risk breaking the EULA)

• 3. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Sorry 3 should read

..and losing automatic bullets and numbering, paragraph rules and underlined text, hyperlinks and cross-references, font hinting (so your text will look bolder) and searchability in the PDF.

• 4. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF

Peter Spier wrote:

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Sorry 3 should read

..and losing automatic bullets and numbering, paragraph rules and underlined text, hyperlinks and cross-references, font hinting (so your text will look bolder) and searchability in the PDF.

That too - on the legibility side of things - absolutely.

• 5. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Eugene Tyson wrote:

… Most free fonts that I know of don't allow embedding - for this reason it's not a good idea to use a free font. …

I'm no particular fan of so-called “free fonts” — you most often get exactly what you pay for. However, that having been said, in my years of gathering such fonts for debugging and problem solving, in fact very few of them are actually set with the protection bits to prohibit embedding. For TrueType and OpenType fonts, you can readily check outside of InDesign as to whether a font is embeddable in a PDF file. For Windows, right-click on a font file and check the properties; embedding privileges are described in one of the tabs. For MacOS, the FontBook utility can provide the same information for a font.

The problem is that when you attempt to use a font that is physically protected against embedding, you pretty much need to follow the advice given by Eugene. Personally, I would recommend the use a different font option, checking the font prior to using it for your rights to embed it in PDF.

Note that font licensing is legal minefield. Many fonts that are posted on-line are not really free. Some are shareware with restrictions in their written licenses that require payment for commercial use (often in ReadMe files which may somehow be “lost” when such fonts are reposted over and over again) or even pirated fonts (i.e., commercial fonts simply illegally posted on-line).

My personal recommendation is that for any commercial use, you explicitly license your fonts from a known, reliable source to avoid possible legal issues in the future.

- Dov

• 6. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unlike the above posters, I mostly work in non-Latin-script languages, and so am pretty accustomed to needing "free" fonts of dubious lineage. And, contrary to what Dov says, there are a whole bunch of minority writing systems for which the best fonts - both in terms of esthetics and of standards adherence - are genuinely free.

Cyrillic, however, is not a writing system of which this can be said. There are a bunch of great foundries that are producing both new works and really good adaptations of fonts familiar to Latin-script designers. That doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of bad Cyrillic fonts from ten to fifteen years ago floating around out there, most of 'em bad hack-jobs derived from Latin-script fonts witihout permission, and duct-taped together with a pirated version of Fontographer. However, you don't need to use 'em. There are good fonts that are genuinely free, with good Cyrillic support. If you have an InDesign license, you have a bunch of Adobe "Pro" fonts with good Cyrillic coverage.

So why don't you tell us the name of your free Cyrillic font and we can tell you if it was actually free, and if it's actually broken, or if it actually forbids embedding, and if so what legit font you can use to replace it?

• 7. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
                      VictoriaP Level 1

The font used is a type of Bodoni  http://fontzone.net/font-details/a-bodoninovanr

Couldn't find anywhere to buy it, it's only displayed as a free font everywhere.

I checked in FontBook and it does indeed display a warning after installing the font.

For now the only option I could see was to change to a regular Bodoni.

Thank you for your help

• 8. Re: InDesign doesn't let embed the font while exporting to PDF
                        MW Design Level 4

capture-000746.png

Yep, as mentioned in this thread, one gets what they pay for sometimes.

First thing I do when downloading free fonts without a EULA, is look at the properties. When I see this, or I determine it is a ripped-off font, is delete them.