1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 10:04 AM by habdou

ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers

Paulr

When we export an epub from Indesign CC, we have a problem when the paragraph ends with a bulleted list or numbered list. The paragraphstyle following on the bulleted list is included in the list in html (epub). What do we do wrong?

• 1. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
          Ellis home Level 4

Can you elaborate? May be a screenshot.

• 2. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
            Paulr Level 1

This is the Indesign file

indesignfile.png

This is the html code:

HTML Code is:

<p id="_idParaDest-12" class="title-1-1-1">

1. 3.2.2.      Wat zijn niet-btw-plichtige klanten?

</p>

<p class="text">

Voor niet-btw-plichtige klanten gelden de b2c-spelregels. Met b2c worden bedoeld:

</p>

<ul>

<li class="text-bullet">

<span>d</span>e diensten die u verricht voor particuliere klanten;

</li>

<li class="text-bullet-3mm">

<span>d</span>e diensten die u verricht voor een btw-plichtige klant (een fysieke persoon) die deze diensten echter uitsluitend aanwendt voor privédoeleinden of voor die van zijn personeel.

<p class="tip _idGenParaOverride-1">

<span class="attention bold">Let op! </span>Een dienst die u verricht en die door de btw-plichtige klant zowel beroepsmatig als privé gebruikt wordt, valt in zijn totaliteit onder de b2b-regels

<span class="reference">(Circ. nr. AFZ 19/2009, nr. 10, lid 4, 22.12.2009)</span>.

</p>

<p id="_idParaDest-13" class="title-1-1-1 _idGenParaOverride-5">

1. 3.2.3. Aandachtspunten

</p>

</li>

</ul>

And it should be:

<p id="_idParaDest-12" class="title-1-1-1">

1. 3.2.2.      Wat zijn niet-btw-plichtige klanten?

</p>

<p class="text">

Voor niet-btw-plichtige klanten gelden de b2c-spelregels. Met b2c worden bedoeld:

</p>

<ul>

<li class="text-bullet">

<span>d</span>e diensten die u verricht voor particuliere klanten;

</li>

<li class="text-bullet-3mm">

<span>d</span>e diensten die u verricht voor een btw-plichtige klant (een fysieke persoon) die deze diensten echter uitsluitend aanwendt voor privédoeleinden of voor die van zijn personeel.

</li>

</ul>

<p class="tip _idGenParaOverride-1">

<span class="attention bold">Let op! </span>Een dienst die u verricht en die door de btw-plichtige klant zowel beroepsmatig als privé gebruikt wordt, valt in zijn totaliteit onder de b2b-regels

<span class="reference">(Circ. nr. AFZ 19/2009, nr. 10, lid 4, 22.12.2009)</span>.

</p>

<p id="_idParaDest-13" class="title-1-1-1 _idGenParaOverride-5">

1. 3.2.3.      Aandachtspunten

</p>

• 3. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
              Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

Hi:

InDesign does not have any internal structure with respect to lists - each Paragraph is handled as an independent entity and for the purposes of print this works pretty well.

The problem comes when we are trying to map this to HTML were we would really like to back into the needed structure.

So we have a heuristic that tries to figure it if the current Paragraph should be part of the list associated with the previous Paragraph. We know that if two Paragraphs have the exact same List attributes then they must be part of the same list.

But for Paragraphs which do not match the List attributes we have to decide if it is a continuation of the List or has caused the List to be ended.

What we look at is the Paragraph Left Indent - if it is less than (or equal, I don't remember) then the List is considered ended.

But if it is greater then we treat the Paragraph as if it was nested and that's what has happened to you.

If you put an empty paragraph in between your indented one and this Paragraph has a indent which is less than your list then it should treat the list as being ended.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 4. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                Ellis home Level 4

Douglas, thank for your valuable input. I'm sure this information will be helpful for others wondering about this issue.

• 5. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                  McWriting

Except it doesn't work. I've been struggling to get ID CC lists to stop swallowing paragraphs NOT INTENDED to be in the list. I've changed indents, font sizes, added empty paragraphs. I can't get a single paragraph between two lists to stay independent from them.

Here's InDesign: note paragraph between lists.

IDSample.png

Here's the result in Adobe Digital Editions:

ADEsample.png

Note "EXERCISE" paragraph is swallowed up, even though it's left indent is 0, while numbered list left indent is 2p6. Changing font size of middle paragraph didn't help, nor did centering it, adjusting indent, or adding blank paragraphs of varying styles. Mr. Waterfall, can you please help me figure out how to get ID to stop auto-adjusting my work?

• 6. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                    Ellis home Level 4

While we wait for Douglas to respond, have you tried a different epub reader. Try Readium a Google Chrome application. It would be best if tested on an actual device (Ipad, Android tablet, etc.).

• 7. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers

Hi:

Well that is interesting.

I would have expected that the left aligned paragraph would have caused us to treat the list as broken/ended.

So something interesting must be going on.

Would you be willing to share your file with me? - I just need that part of the story.

Mail it to me (if small) or send me a dropbox link off forum - douglas.waterfall@adobe.com

I'm hoping we find a bug here somewhere.

Douglas Waterfall

• 8. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                        Paulr Level 1

I'm still confronted with the same problem. After a bulleted or numbered list, I want a simple text paragraph and even when I take off all indents and only leave them on the bulleted and numbered lists, it doesn't work in the epub.

Strange extra is that I did the same file like a week ago and then it didn't have this problem?

• 9. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                          McWriting Level 1

Thank you Ellis, but it is not a display problem. ID9 is exporting the HTML list code incorrectly.

• 10. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                            McWriting Level 1

Files sent, thank you for the individual attention. I'll keep testing on my end and promise to share any insights. One thing I found in this book full of lists: the identical structure happens when a text paragraph falls in between bullet lists, and there is no problem of it being swallowed into the lists.

• 11. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                              McWriting Level 1

Follow-up: I noticed that only numbered lists swallowed up a non-indented paragraph between them; bullet lists rendered it correctly (that is, as a regular text paragraph not included in the list). Although no other style change seemed to help, adding a blank bullet list item to the end of the first numbered list (before the plain text paragraph) did the trick, snapping ID out of its error. The empty paragraph gets ignored by the ePub, but it is enough to stop the list formatting on InDesign's side.

Hope this helps before a real fix comes. I think Douglas is on the case.

• 12. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers

This is a bug, sorry this has caused you problems and thank you for sharing your files.

The paragraph style which defines the list has an override to "start over" and this is not being recognized.

As a result - we think the both the top and bottom lists are really the SAME list and so we treat the middle paragraph accordingly.

The workaround is to create a new paragraph syle based on the list paragraph style and eliminate the override. Then this will be recognized.

Douglas Waterfall

• 13. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                  Diego Souza Mello

Douglas,

I am having the same problem here. My document has lots of paragraph styles created, including bulleted and numbered lists.

I just didn't understand the workaround above.

Can you calirify that to me.

Thanks,

Diego

• 14. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We just established the InDesign EPUB forum (a subforum of the InDesign forum) this week, so I've moved this thread there.

• 15. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In case you lost your message thread, I've moved it to the InDesign EPUB forum, newly established this week.

• 16. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                        Regilindis Level 1

This Bug still exists in 10.0.0.70 (InDesign CC 2014.0)

and also effects the export to accessible pdf Files.

Would love to see it fixed.

While that the Workaround keeps me buissy... fixing unnecessary markup afterwards.

• 17. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers

Should be fixed in the fall update.

Douglas

• 18. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                            Arvindkumar

Hi,

I am also stuck with the same issue. The workaround (The workaround is to create a new paragraph syle based on the list paragraph style and eliminate the override. Then this will be recognized.) provided by you is not feasible, as its lots of manual work in the Indesign File, also the continued paragraph starts with the continued numbering/Bullet List of the previous Numbered list/Bullet List.

I have attached the Indesign output as well as the Epub output without apply the workaround.

Indesign Output:

Indesign Output 1.png

Indesign Output 2.png

Epub Output:

EPub Output.png

Request you to please he me out with the same.

• 19. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Does this issue happen when Preserve Local Overrides is ON while exporting?

-Pooja

• 20. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for the reply.

All the options in the CSS menu under the Export - Epub (Refolwable) options are unchecked and I have attached the in-house CSS to get the output.

I would also like to let you know when I Map the Bullets to (Map to Unordered list) and Numbers to (Map to Ordered list) I face this issue, but when I export the Epub with the Bullets and the Numbers option turned to Convert to Text the content is appearing fine.

Also when the Bullets are converted to Text, I face a new problem wherein the space between the Numbers/Bullets and the Paragraph Text increases and decreases when the ePub file is viewed in Adobe Digital. When the font is set to Ultra Large in Adobe Digital the Numbers move to Next line disturbing the layout in Adobe Digital and Epub reader.

Request you to please help me with the same.

Regards

Arvind

• 21. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                  pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

Please try exporting the same file with all options checked in CSS tab. There is a bug which Douglas had mentioned in this thread earlier and the output will not be correct if Preserve Local Overrides is OFF.

Convert to Text lists might not look correct on ADE, I would request you to try it out on new version of ADE, they have come up with an update recently.

Regards,

Pooja

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                    Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have tried your suggestion and the result is successful, but still there are some more issues coming up because of the default CSS created by Adobe CC.

For example the Table Borders are not visible on all the four sides, In heading 1, 2 and 3 page breaks are getting applied.

It would be great if you could provide me the solution for this issue or is there any chances of the bug getting dissolved in future?

Regards,

Arvind

• 23. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                      pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

Good to know that your issue with lists got resolved with this workaround!

Could you please elaborate more on your tables and headings query? We had made changes to our tables mark-up in CC 2014 and hopefully your issues will be resolved in this update. For more details please refer this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/indesign/InDesign_EPUB_Changes_CC_9.2_to_10.0. pdf

Regards,

Pooja

• 24. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                        Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

Waiting for the workaround for the Bullet Lists gets resolved soon.

I have applied a Line Above and Below the Heading and to the last row of the table, but the epub output has Lines on All Four sides of the Table and a Line below the Table Heading. Also I would like to know that I have define Lines to appear on all all four sides of the cells in the In-house CSS.

I have attached the screenshots for your Reference:

Indesign Output:

Table Border.png

EPub Output with CSS option checked in Indesign CC:

EPub Table Output.png

EPub Output with CSS option unchecked in Indesign CC (that with the Inhouse CSS):

EPub Table Output  without CSS.png

Regarding the Headings I will post you in next post.

Thanks

Regards

Arvind

• 25. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                          Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I think its not with the Heading. The default CSS is breaking the content where it thinks the Leading Paragraph or Bullet List is a continuation part of above Heading, Paragraph or a sentence.

I have attached the screenshot for your reference:

Epub Output with the Default CSS Indesign CC:

EPub Output with Default CSS.png

Epub Output with the Without Default CSS Indesign CC:

EPub Output without Default CSS.png

Regards

Arvind

• 26. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                            pooja2087 Adobe Employee

This problem happens because of the default CSS for table:

td, th {

border-style:solid;

border-width:1px;

}

This issue is resolved in CC 2014. Please use the link I have shared in the thread above to go through table related enhancements.

Regards,

Pooja

• 27. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Have you used Keep Options in your paragraph?  Seems like Start Paragraph setting is set to Next Page. Could you please check and confirm?

Regards,

Pooja

• 28. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                Arvindkumar Level 1

I have not used the Keep options in the Paragraph, currently the Start Paragraph setting is set to Anywhere.

Also please help me to know which version of CC I am using, attached the screenshot for your reference.

Adobe CC.png

Regards

Arvind

• 29. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                  pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

Apology for late reply. You are on the latest version-CC 2014.

For the other issue related to empty space after the paragraph, could you send me your InDesign file? It is difficult to make out the cause without looking at the file. You can upload it to dropbox and share the link with me at pja@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Pooja

• 30. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                    Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for the reply.

1)  I just want to let you know that "the other issue related to empty space after the paragraph" is because of the page breaks given in the Indesign file. These page breaks are ignored when only the In-house CSS is attached, but when the option Preserve Local Overrides option is clicked the Page Breaks are included in the epub file. Is there are way to ignore the page breaks given in the Indesign file.

2) I would also request you to please let me know if we edit the ePub file and make the changes in the default CSS for the table related issue, will the ePub throw an validation error?

3) Is there any possibilities to fix the "bug which Douglas had mentioned" (Numbered List bug)?

Regards

Arvind

• 31. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                      pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

Have you specified Page Break on the frame via Custom Layout Settings in Object Export Options dialog or via EPUB Export dialog?

Editing the EPUB file should not cause any validation errors. If you are using Sigil, make sure that the setting "Automatically clean and format HTML code" is turned off. To confirm that there are no validation related issues, validate your EPUB via IDPF validator: https://validator.idpf.org.

We are working on this particular list related fix, will let you know once the fix gets shipped in the update.

Regards,

Pooja

• 32. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                        Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I have attached the Indesign files and the links on dropbox to check the issue with Page Break.

Please have a look and let me know I am doing anything wrong.

Regards

Arvind

• 33. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

I tried exporting EPUB from your file. There is no extra space appearing after the paragraph in my case, I verified this in iBooks and Readium.

Which reader are you viewing in? Can you check reducing the font size in the reader settings and see if the extra space still is seen?

Regards,

Pooja

• 34. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                            Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I have attached the epub file for your reference. The problem still persist.

Regards

Arvind

• 35. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                              Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

The workaround given that is (Please try exporting the same file with all options checked in CSS tab. There is a bug which Douglas had mentioned in this thread earlier and the output will not be correct if Preserve Local Overrides is OFF. Convert to Text lists might not look correct on ADE, I would request you to try it out on new version of ADE, they have come up with an update recently.)

for the List items is working fine with the Numbered List Items. The output of the content below Bullet list is coming as a part of the above Bullet List with font size reduced.

Request you to please sort this issue asap in Adobe CC.

Regards

Arvind

• 36. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Arvind,

The update of InDesign CC 2014 is now available. The bug is fixed in this release. Please update InDesign and let me know if it works for you now or not.

Regards,

Pooja

• 37. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                                  Arvindkumar Level 1

Thanks Pooja for the update. I will check the file and let you know asap.

Regards

Arvind

• 38. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                                    Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi Pooja,

Thanks for getting sorted.

One set of issue got sorted that is the last Numbered list content is not getting wrapped up with the Numbered Bullet List.

There is another problem with the List items (Bullet List and Numbered Bullet List), for example if Numbered Bullet 5 or Bullet list has sub content and its on same indentation level in the Indesign file. When exported to epub the font size of the sub content is decreased and Indented 1 more level up towards right.

I will share you the link at pja@adobe.com of PDF, Indesign File and the epub file for your reference.

Cheers Adobe

Regards

Arvind

• 39. Re: ePub export from Indesign CC - bullet and numbers
                                                                                      Arvindkumar Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with the below mentioned query.

I have Bullet/Numbered List levels of listing. When I export the ePub file with the Numbers - Map to Ordered List and Bullets - Map to Unordered list the Indentation levels are getting impacted. But when I export the same file with the option "Convert to Text" for both the List items the indentation level of bullets is coming fine.

Request someone to please let me know if its the right way of going ahead with the List items

Regards

Arvind

1 2 Previous Next