10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 3:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?

scottTaft

When I (am force) to use the Video Importer (because my clips are on a USB drive) it seems to find and select all videos on this USB drive.  This is not what I want.  I want to browse to the directory (on the USB drive) that I created.  It contains the 6 video clips I want to import, not all 300 on the drive.

How to I select a specific directory on the USB drive using Video Importer?

I'm using Premiere 12.

• 1. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What OS version are you using?

When you go to Add Media>Folders and Files, you should be able to navigate to the desired folder, and once there, select just the file(s), that you want. Are you not seeing the dialog screen, to navigate that USB external?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are in Premiere Elements and you select Add Media/From Flip and Cameras, the Video Importer will lunch -- and in it you can preview your video clips, check the ones you want to download and uncheck the ones you don't.

But if your video is in the form of clips on an exertnal drive, you should use Add Media/From Files and Folders and browse to the file or files you want to import.

Use Premiere Elements to add specific files. Not the Organizer.

• 3. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

scottTaft

From Hunt's and SG's replies, they may be missing the punch line in your inquiry and/or reading your inquiry from an different perspective than I am.

I think that you know already what they have written. What you want to know is "Is there any way so that you can pick and choose what is entered into the Video Importer, not what you can pick and choose from once the thumbnails from the USB files are all populated in the Video Importer workspace.

My reply to that would be No, there is no way for you to pick and choose from the USB drive what gets taken into the Video Importer. That is what I believe to be the case based on my work with Premiere Elements and Windows.

You could look at in the perspective that the Video Importer is acting as your view of the "USB Directory" and is allowing you to pick and choose what gets saved and/or taken into the Project with the Video Importer's Get Media.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is that right, ATR? I thought the whole point of the Premiere Elements Video Importer is to allow you to play your video clips and decide which are imported into your project?

As I said, the importer in the Organizer is a bit different, however.

• 5. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Strictly within the Premiere Elements Editor....Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer.

As I read scottTaft's question, we are not talking about "imported into your project". What we are talking about is populating the Video Importer with just some files selected from the many on the USB Flash Drive, not populating it with all from the USB Flash Drive and then selecting what is to be imported into the project.

This user's vision appears to be seeing the USB Directory to pick and choose there what gets into the Video Importer. To that I say No Way until you say that you can do that which cannot be done.

Again, the point is not what is but rather what scottTaft would like to see or not see.

But, in the final analysis, scottTaft will soon let us know if I have misinterpreted the inquiry. Hopefully all our contributions will give this user further insights into the Video Importer's use.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                    scottTaft Level 1

I'm sorry for the delay (life got in the way).

I think ATR is on the right track.  Let me clarify.

I have a USB memory stick with thousands of video clips in a directory named "all videos".  I want to create and edit videos that have sunsets.  So, I created a new directory on the same drive and called it "sunsets"  I then copied a few, hand picked clips from the "all videos" directory and pasted them in the "sunsets" directory.

When I try to import using the "video importer", it only sees the entire  USB stick.  It then begins to bring up a thumbnail of each of the thousands of clips on the drive.  I do not want this because I would have to scroll through the entire collection (again).  Instead, I want to browse using the video importer to the "sunsets" directory and only see the clips I have already chosen for this project (chosen outside of Adope using explorer).  I am using an HP laptop running Win 7.

To summarize, I want to browse using the video importer to select a single folder on the jump drive.  Right now, the video importer seems to only allow for everything on the entire external drive.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

For clarification purposes, are you saying that the PrE Importer will not see the full folder structure on the USB drive, to allow you to navigate to the "Sunsets" folder? Instead, it will only display the "All Videos" folder?

I assume that Windows Explorer shows both folders, and all files in each. Is that also correct?

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

scottTaft

I can confirm what you are facing. And, I do not see that what you are seeking is possible for the VIdeo Importer in the path Premiere Elements Add Media/Video from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer.

If I have a USB Flash Drive with 2 folders and each folders contain 2 videos each,  when I use the Video Importer in the path described above, the Video Importer displays all 4 videos without any distinction for their folder location on the USB Flash Drive. It shows all whether I start the process with the folders opened or closed in the USB Flash Drive.

I would have to think it out more completely but I am wondering

a. Store your images on the USB Flash Drive

b. Import them into the Elements Organizer from the USB Flash Drive as offline media, create albums

c. Access the videos for Premiere Elements from the Elements Organizer

In this scheme, I would envision you needing that USB Flash Drive each time to have your videos available for use.

If that is something that you might be interested in, I will do a road test later today to see if theory meets reality.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                          nealeh Level 5

Set the 'sunsets' folder as a shared folder and then map the folder as a network drive. You can then select this 'drive' as your import folder.

[EDIT] Actually that only works for Import Media from Files and Folders. Which also begs the question why don't you use Import from Files and Folders as that will let you navigate directly to the 'sunsets' folder on the USB drive?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Why can't I point the Video Importer to a specific USB drive directory?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

I have been thinking about your suggestion. Could you elaborate on its gains in view of the user's stated intent and need for a workaround because of the properties of the Premiere Elements Video Importer involved?

After your network mapping of this folder, you have

Something that is listed under computer drives as a drive and can be looked on as folder, but, to get its contents into Premiere Elements 11 for example, according to your plan, you would need to use Add Media/Files and Folder and Import As Folder. I have found that none of the Video Importer routes will recognize it as a drive. Have you found otherwise?

In your suggestion, only one of many folders (with files) is transferred from USB Flash Drive to computer. Keeping along your  suggestion, why not just transfer/copy the multiple folders (with files) and then Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders using Import As Folder? Is the drive vs folder concept here a space saving device?

Thanks.

ATR