9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 5:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 11 Add media box

jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Hi,

This problem just occured a few weeks ago. When I import a video and this then appears in the "add media" drop down box. after I have dragged the video onto the timeline, I cannot close the "add media" box, it just stays there open. I click on the tab but it won't close. This of course obscures part of the video preview I am trying to edit. The only way I can get rid of it is to close the program, but I will still have the problem again.

Any thoughts please?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When I read of GUI (Graphical User Interface) issue, my first thought is the video driver.

1. What OS version are you using?
          2. What is the make and model of your video chip/card?
          3. What is the installed version, and date, of your video driver?
          4. Is that the latest version?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
            jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Thank you, my system is as follows:

Windows 7 Professional SP1

HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook 64bit

Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6ghz  1.6ghz

4gb Ram

ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650   Date: 09/09/10  version: 8.771.1.0

Intel 5 series 3400 series Family Chipset

Tried an update to the video driver but it appears that I have the latest version.

As I said this problem just came up a few weeks ago, I am wondering if a reinstall may cure it. My system in general is struggling to cope with rendering in Premier Elements 11, and Avid Studio just lateley, as I am attempting more complicated SFX videos. I am considering upgrading to a Dell T3610 Workstation - Intel Xeon ES-1607 v2 Quad Core 3.00ghz - 8Gb Ram - 1Gb NVIDIA Quadro K600.

Thank you once again,

John

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Tried an update to the video driver but it appears that I have the latest version

Did you do that via Windows Update (which is NOT always accurate) or direct at the vendor site?

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

If you are on Win7-32, then this would be the driver to download and install: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+32

Here is the link for Win7-64: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

John T., is correct that Windows' driver update utility is usually months out of date. If I did the math correctly (and did not mess up with your Radeon model), it could well be three years out of date.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jonnyguitar88

Please clarify what is not closing when you drag your file to the Timeline?

Is it the Add Media Panel with all the choices for Elements Organizer through Files and Folders?

pr

Is it the Project Assets Panel from where you are dragging the import to the Timeline?

If it is the Project Assets Panel, then try this:

There are a bunch of icons in the Project Assets Panel top section, one is called "Pin View". You can toggle that for two different Project Assets closures. One leaves the Project Assets Panel open after you drag the import to the Timeline. Then you close it yourself when you are ready. The other automatically closes the Project Assets Panel when you drag the import to the Timeline.

Project-Assets.jpg

So, if that icon looks gray as in the screenshot, Project Assets stays open after you drag the file to the Expert Timeline.

If that icon does not have the gray looking backing (blends in with the lighter gray color), Project Assets closes automatically after you drag the file to the Timeline.

If that does not apply to your situation, then you might try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in the following Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that. I had not thought about the Pin View - could very well be the solution.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

We will see.

But, there should be no reason why clicking on the triangle next to the name Project Assets should not be closing the Project Assets Panel, UNLESS, we are dealing with a delayed closure.

Up until recently Premiere Elements 12 extremely slow opening of File Menu/New/Project and extremely slow closing of program after save/close were particularly disturbing. Everything in between those two functioned well. So these unexplained things can happen.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                        jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Many thanks ATR, that did the trick!

I had tried the PIN icon but as you said it was greyed out, but I was clicking it AFTER I had imported media. This time I clicked it before importing, and Bingo, the box now closes after I drag media to timeline. It's one of those things that is so simple when somebody points it out, I'm a bit of a Blockhead sometimes!

Thanks to all for your replies.

On the video driver, I updated to the latest ATi Radeon 5650 driver, but I also downloaded the whole AMD Control Centre, which I think was a mistake as it is putting further load on my CPU.

Thanks once again

John

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 11 Add media box
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John

When Premiere Elements 11 was first released, it took me a while to figure out what this Pin View Icon was all about. I did not see any write ups on it at the time.

Glad the suggestion worked for you.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR