12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 2:15 AM by cc_merchant

K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning

bensmith90068 Level 1

Hi,

Great forum - thanks for all your feedback. 

I'm supporting a prominent company upgrade their hardware.  The team of 4 has i7 960 / Dual Quadro 2000 cards and workflow that's 35-40% After Effects and Photoshop CS5, 50% Maya 2013 + Vray.

Will Quadro K5000 and K6000 (on single or dual E5-2697 v2 12-core Xeon workstations) get CUDA acceleration and work properly with CS5, or do they HAVE to upgrade to CS6? Been unable to find examples after many hours over past two days searching.  They have many scripts for CS5 and so are reluctant to toss them all just yet (or perhaps you have a tip re that, too) but will if this is the case.

Also, is better performance available in Ae and Ps CS5 or CS6 mixing a K5000 and GTX Titan (to support a V-ray RT Viewport and GPU config), rather than a single Quadro K6000?  Thank you.

Ben

PS:  They will also have access to an 8 node mini Render Farm for rendering (All 6-core Xeon E5 2665) - if you have any thoughts on how this would bear on optimizing new single workstation configuration I'd appreciate it.

• 1. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Will Quadro K5000 and K6000 (on single or dual E5-2697 v2 12-core Xeon workstations) get CUDA acceleration and work properly with CS5, or do they HAVE to upgrade to CS6?

There is no CUDA acceleration of any kind in After Effects CS5. The CUDA-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer was added in After Effects CS6.

Why are you even considering CUDA features in After Effects when making major spending decisions? There is only the one feature (the ray-traced 3D renderer) that uses CUDA in After Effects and it is by no means a major feature that someone should be making expensive purchasing decisions for. For 3D work in After Effects, you are almost always better off using Cinema 4D (integrated as of After Effects CC 12.0), plug-ins like Zaxwerks Invigorator, et cetera.

• 2. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
            bensmith90068 Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.  Their primary work is in Maya, but they do compositing and motion graphics in Ae so you're right, not a factor. By extension are you saying that they given they want the best Quadros for their Maya work, that a single K5000 would be plenty of power for Ae and Ps, or would Ae and Ps performance be enhanced by adding a Titan?

Budget is not an issue - they've budgeted up to $10k for each workstation.  Thanks again.

Ben

• 3. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Xeon E5-2697 V2 chips would definitely make a big difference with this workflow especially AE. A single 12 would get the job done with far better performance while a Dual 12 may or may not be ideal depending on the Media. I would suggest a Titan or 780GTX for Vray versus the Quadro. Only get the Quadro i you need 10bit color preview or the Maya work is to extensive for the Geforce card. Even then I would probably say a K4000 is enough with the Titan unless the frames are greater than 2K. Red and DNG media would be the reasons to get Dual Xeons. Anything else can probably get done easily on just a single.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

For After Effects, don't even think about the GPU. Whatever you're getting for other applications will surely be more than enough.

For After Effects, you want lots of RAM, multiple fast CPUs, and multiple fast disks, including at least one SSD for the disk cache.

See this page for information about hardware for Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

• 5. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                  bensmith90068 Level 1

Hi EC,

Thanks for that.  They have said we want the best and frankly on several benchmarks I have seen the W7000 is just as fast as the K5000 with Maya, but for most pro media apps it seems all nVidia. The new 780 Ti is faster than the Titan, but most experienced guys I've read saying with that small diff RAM wins, esp. with 4K here and 6K trickling in now too.

They are going to be doing 4K work so Quadro sound like the best choice...but if anyone reading has experience adding with a Quadro and GTX 680, 780 or Titan with this workflow I would love to hear back.

Thanks again - you're guys' feedback is really helpful.

Ben

• 6. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                    bensmith90068 Level 1

Re disk cache, do you have a link re configuring for Ae, and is it necc. if have a 1TB OS SSD or Fusion ioFX card?  Thank you. 

B

• 7. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's nothing special about configuring the disk cache: Just tell After Effects in the Media & DIsk Cache preferences where to put it and how much space to use. More is better.

If you can afford an ioFX card, then go for it.

• 8. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You definitely want the Titan with 4K frames. Right now even a single 12 Core V2 chip cant push a Titan card. Duals can. I honestly would be surprised if you need the Quadro for Maya. That is why I said only get the Quadro if you need the 10bit color. I have installed A Quadro and Geforce with clients before and it runs fine. If you need the Quadro Preview that config is definitely an option.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                          bensmith90068 Level 1

Awesome.  Thanks so much Eric and Todd both - much obliged. 

Ben

• 10. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                            Alex - DV411 Level 2

Besides buffered stereo, ECC memory, ISV testing and enterprise support, Quadro K6000 also has the largest frame buffer of all NVidia cards which may come handy in certain apps and workflows. It's not all about raw performance.

Also Puget Systems' Maya 2013 benchmark, while about a year old, shows Quadro cards being faster than the more expensive Geforce ones. I have yet to find more recent benchmarks with GTX-700 and Quadro K series cards though.

What systems are you planning to deploy? (Z820, T7610 or DIY/customs?)

Moving AE CS5 scripts to CS6 and beyond - can't help with that, but perhaps that's best discussed in AE forums - if it's a peace-a-cake, then your artists will be much happier with CS6 and CC, IMHO.

• 11. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                              bensmith90068 Level 1

Thanks Alex.

If / when we move forward I will build custom single or dual E5 Xeon with the overclockable Supermicro Xeon boards.  Might go v1 because you can get a price break certain places on those and the overclock up to 12 or 15%.  I think the K5000 will be plenty and that's a great tip re posting here re script...guess you could call it transcription from CS5 to CS6.  Main guy overseeing that slumped in his chair when he thought about losing those scripts but I said hey CS5 is pretty long in the tooth now and maybe there are folks her who have done it.

B

• 12. Re: K5000 / K6000 - Enterprise GPU Planning
                                cc_merchant Level 4

Have you read Tweakers Page and more specifically Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems about video cards and Tweakers Page - Exporting Style about when a video card helps.