9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 3:39 PM by Karyn D

CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly

Karyn D

I have a document where the TOC is not coming in according to the document layout. Sub-headers are out of order (based on placement in document) and I have sub-headers showing up under Headers they don't belong.

I have removed all sub-headers and re-inserted them. I have removed all instances of Anchored Objects. Neith fixed the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ~ Karyn

• 1. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
          Migintosh Level 4

Since the TOC is based on styles, make sure you don't have any styles that are mis-applied. One way this can happen is described as follows:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.32.29 PM.png

Here's a screenshot of a fake document with a few styles and a TOC. The red is the title, which I want in the TOC, and the green is the subtitle, which I don't. I have the cursor set on the subtitle, which you can see in the paragraph styles pallet.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.31.56 PM.png

I have built the TOC that you can see in the first screenshot with the specs you can see in the second. I have a style for the Title (red) Subtitle (green) one for the TOC head,  one for the TOC body and Basic Paragraph for the body (which you really don't want to use, by the way, which I can explain if you need). The title style is the only one that will be gathered for the TOC entries.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.32.43 PM.png

Here, I have deleted the paragraph return that separates the title from the subhead. This can sometimes happen if you aren't careful. Notice that the style is listed as Title, but the text retains the look of the subhead.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.32.50 PM.png

Here, I have put the paragraph return back, but notice that the style still reads "Title" (but with the + that indicates local overrides). By removing the paragraph return, the Title style is applied to the subhead, because they were part of the same paragraph, and you can only have one paragraph style for any given paragraph. Hitting the return key hasn't changed the style, so it's still set to Title, and the + shows because the local overrides weren't stripped out by combining the paragraphs. You might not even notice visually that anything has changed, except in this case, I have used a space-after on the subhead that is missing on the title.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.33.04 PM.png

Now, when I re-generate the TOC, the subhead is included, because even though it looks like the subhead, it's actually the title with local overrides. By re-applying the subhead style to the subhead while holding the Option key, I can remove the local overrides and apply only those aspects that I have defined into the style itself. This can also be done from the fly-out triangle of the styles pallet to any text that is selected with the type tool, or to any text within text frames selected with the Selection tool (and probably for the whole document with a script, but since I don't write scripts, I can 't say that for sure, but probably).

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 11.33.28 PM.png

Now that the local overrides are removed, I can re-generate the TOC once again and only show the title. This may not be what is causing your TOC to fail, but you might want to go through and see if your styles are applied correctly and then generate your TOC again. It's usually best to avoid local overrides when possible, and not at all if it's practical.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Karyn,

In addition to what Michael has said, ID builds the TOC based on the order of frames on the page, so if thre are multiple frames with content that is to included ID will pick upi the frame furthest left and closest to the top of the page first. Settng a style to sort alphabetically will also have an effect.

It would help if you could show us some screen shots of your own.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
              Karyn D Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions. I have reviewed my 'captions' and there are no overrides. Each caption is in it's own text box.

This is one of the pages that is giving me problems:

06EN003403 p4.png

This is the Paragraph Style that supports it:

ParagraphStyle.png

Here is the TOC setup:

TOC Setuppdf.png

and finally what the TOC is producing

06EN003403 pii.png

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide. Or what I can change to correct this problem. Based on Peters response I have a sneaky suspicion what may come of this. However this is only 1 of 3 issues in this document regarding the TOC. Hopefully they are related. Guess we'll try to tackle one at a t time.

Thank you so much for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
                Karyn D Level 1

Peter ~

I posted some pictures of my situation on the reply to Michael (above).

Thank you for your input and time, it is greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly

The TOC is sorting exactly as I described, starting in the upper left corner of the page and wiorking down, then moving right. If you make the File Size frame wider so its left edge aligns with the other two captions, then add a huge left inset, it will probably work.

• 6. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
                    Karyn D Level 1

Peter ~

Here is the image over lapping each frame and the TOC did not register correctly. The only way I got the TOC to come up correctly was to line them up. I'd prefer not to do that, but if that's what has to be done.........

06EN003403 p4-1.png

• 7. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly

Without seeing the frame edges I can't tell waht you've done...

• 8. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly

I just ran a little test. It does not work if you add frame inset, but it does work if you add left indent to the caption paragraph.

• 9. Re: CS5 - TOC not coming in correctly
                          Karyn D Level 1

GOT IT!!

I tried the same method on my sub-header that needed to be under the header on the previous page. It worked!!

Thank you so much!