1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 9:37 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please respond telling us whether you have Auto-save turned on or turned off. Please tell us why you made the choice that you did.

What do you think about us turning Auto-save on by default, as opposed to the current default of being turned off?

• 1. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
          Jim Curtis Level 3

I have it off in Ae.  Don't use it. I use Increment and Save at significant times, and that works fine for me. 

So, naturally, I think the default should be "off."

Thanks for asking, Todd.

• 2. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
            videoaaron

I actually have it set to autosave every 5 minutes. It helps with both crashes and in case of corrupted projects (which are rare in my experience). It's saved my butt several times (though I find it even more useful in Premiere). What woul be awesome is if it saved in the background instead of interrupting what I'm doing, but other than that, I like having it on.

• 3. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
              robwrightnet

On please. It has saved me many times. I agree with Aaron above, a background save process would be very beneficial.

• 4. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                rikbogusz Level 1

i agree. i always enable it to autosave at 10 minutes, and last 10 versions.

• 5. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                  del_razor

I keep it on with up to 5 saves every 5 minutes.

It would be great if it could save in the background. Also, in very large projects that take over a minute or two to save, it becomes a big hassle to have to wait it out when I'm in my flow of things. Sometimes I turn it off when it gets annoying like that, but for the most part it is great and has saved me numerous times either backtracking a bad decision on a workflow, or when things go wrong and I need to get right back in action. 5 minutes back isn't too bad to have to re-make.

• 6. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                    MelMatsuoka

I always turn it on, and I've never understood why it's off by default.

The only reason I can think of why it's off by default is to prevent crippling save times when you're working on a huge project. 

That being said, although I like to leave AE's builtin autosave on, I have a policy of not trusting *any* autosave function in any mission critical software I use (esp. since AE's autosave in the past has often not autosaved what I thought should have been autosaved), so I use the awesome "qp Version Snapshot" script from aescripts.com (http://aescripts.com/qp_version_snapshot/) to manually invoke an incremented, timestamped snapshot of my project whenever my spidey senses start tingling about the possibility of AE crashing on me.

The qp Version Snapshot script is everything I wish AE's autosave could be, although it lacks the ability to auto-snapshot on its own. But it's heads and tails better than the builtin Increment and Save function, because you can keep the same projectname throughout the entire process, while still maintaining incremented archives of your project. This comes in especially handy when using Dynamically Linked AE comps in Premiere. I'm not a huge fan of letting Premiere guess which version of the .aep is the most current, based on the highest incremented number in the filename.

If the main reason why Auto Save is disabled by default is due to project filesize issues, then it may call for a larger discussion about optimizing and improving the way AE saves project data. I find that the largest offenders are rotobrush data, as well as the thousands of keyframes generated by the motion tracker and/or imported Mocha tracking data. If there was a better way for ths kind of data––which is more often not generated once, and rarely modified on a large scale––to be cached or compressed in a more efficient manner that doesnt require having to write it to the .aep all from scratch every time you hit "Save", that would be great.

• 7. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                      rowlkr Level 1

On.  I work fast and save often - every time I think "That looks good," in fact - but occasionally I get caught up in something intricate and don't think about saving the current project, much less incrementally. For that, auto-save is a great safety net.  I used to have it set to every 10 mins, 10 versions, but huge projects take several seconds to save, and it was interrupting my workflow too much so I backed it off to 15 minutes.  As I say, I hit "Command-S" pretty constantly anyway.

I don't care if auto-save is on or off by default.  Seems like a minor point.

• 8. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                        RPMotion Level 1

I have it set to ON all the time. Saves every 5-10 minutes depending on the project.  a preset option wouldn't be a big deal for me as I go in and set prefs for each new system I'm on anyway.

Would LOVE a background save option for autosave at least.

• 9. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                          David Torno Level 4

I personally have it off. I find that it gets in my way most times, especially on heavy projects that take 2+ minutes to save sometimes. I also have issues with crashing AE due to bad timing of the autosave kicking in. Plus I also come from an era that has "command+s" so stuck in my subconscious I save automatically without realizing it most times.

As for the rest of our office they exclusively rely on auto save and I can see the benefit of it. Mostly we make sure all of our freelance machines have it turned on so we don't have to worry about an outside artist not saving work for whatever reason. We've had that happen before where a freelancer never saved and the work went bye bye.

• 10. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Never used it in 12+ years of using AE. Just leave it off.

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                              mike cardeiro Level 1

I always turn it on (and it not defaulting on has hurt me once or twice when working on a new system)  for me auto-save is a lifesaver.  when I am in a crunch I dont always remember to save and that is the worst time to lose data.

I would like it defaulted on.

• 12. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                aefilter Level 1

I like it on.

I also use Increment and Save, but sometimes forget and have needed to go back in time to restore things.

• 13. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                  leslie wand Level 2

agree entirely - ON and auto save without interuption.

• 14. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                    timmy_tee

I keep it ON - I like it, it has save my but a couple times in the last month. I appreciate it because I was used to auto save on AVID, which always seemed to save when you wanted to do something. I don't know that I'd make it default on - the preference you really should set to ON by default is "default spacial interpolation to linear" I don't know anyone who wants this set to off!

• 15. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                      mike cardeiro Level 1

timmy_tee wrote:

...the preference you really should set to ON by default is "default spacial interpolation to linear" I don't know anyone who wants this set to off!

I agree 1000000% I never understood why this defaulted to the nutty way.  The first time I came across this it drove me nuts for about an hour before I stumbled across the setting.

• 16. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                        Peter_Holm_CPH

I always turn it on and save every 10 minutes

• 17. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                          bmaffitt

I don't use it. I save when needed, and increment and save as desired.

I wonder if I would like a big UI button to toggle it on and off? I might use it more for smaller, less complicated projects. I keep it off for many of the legacy reasons mentioned by others above.

Brian

• 18. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's off by default because I don't like being interrupted. I am in the habit of hitting Ctrl/Cmnd + S before doing any major design or keyframe changes. I also version before moving anything major around. Sometimes aep's can get very big and a save takes a very long time. AE ought to cache info like 3D camera tracking and Warp stabilizing the way 3D apps cache a bake so the project files stay reasonable. Autosave should work completely seamlessly in the background. Scrivener, the new iWork apps, and even Microsoft office will recover from just about every crash without doing anything. AE should do the same.

• 19. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                              kleinbc100

A huge request for it to stay on! If it is getting in my way, I have no problem turning it off, but the auto-save feature has saved my butt numerous times when I've accidentally destroyed something I was working on, or my file became corrupted for whatever reason. I've been burned too many times to not have backup copies available, and remembering to turn that setting on everytime I install on any of my machines is not realistic. I'll remember to do it every time except for the time that matters.

Another feature I would love to add to the autosave dialog is to be able to choose an alternate location for the autosaves, ala FCP7. Being able to put them on a separate dive as a backup to drive failure is a nice comforting feature.

• 20. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Another feature I would love to add to the autosave dialog is to be able to choose an alternate location for the autosaves,

You can do that now. We added that in After Effects CC (12.1):

http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

• 21. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                  gelloh

On my 7 year old PC yes it was very much turned on. On my new souped up iMac, no, I save only after important steps.

• 22. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                    Will Rowe

I have it on currently, saving every 5 minutes. Since it is a preference it does not really matter to me whether it is on or off by default as I just need to set it once.

• 23. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                      JordanLloyd Level 1

I usually always have it flicked on as there's really no overhead when working on 90% of projects. Occasionally on a large project when it takes a few seconds to save, having that momentary pause while the 'saving' dialogue pops up is annoying.

It would be great if the auto-save would work in the background and not have a UI popup that prevents you from continuing to work during this operation, much like it works in almost 100% of any other software, including Adobe products. The way saving has been implemented in the recent versions of Photoshop would work fine. You see a little progress indicator in the bottom left corner but you can go about your business in the program as it writes out the save.

• 24. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                        Kevin Burg

Once or twice a year having auto save has come in very handy and saved me lots of tedious re-work when something crashed. The occasional interruption is well worth it.

I'd like auto save even for projects that haven't yet been saved. On occasion I'll forget to save a new project and have been working on it for 45 minutes before I remember. It would be nice to know it's been saved somewhere even when I am forgetful.

If autosave is on by default, maybe something like Photoshop's background save function would be nice, so the whole process is less intrusive.

• 25. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                          bonions

the bigger projects get, the more it crashed on me, so gave up using it, and much prefer increments.

saying that,

i would be MUCH more interested in incremented projects being a submenu down listed from the name of the project, so we can get back to entirely new projects, and still the deeper menu increments , with the main name and highest increment being the first top menu.

so you can get something like this:

>CartoonVectorPaintElements_v3>CartoonVectorPaintElements_v2

.>CartoonVectorPaintElements_v1

>Projectgreenscreen_v20  >Projectgreenscreen_v19

>Projectgreenscreen_v18

>Projectgreenscreen_v17

>expessionBuilding_v1

that type of thing, would be much handier

• 26. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                            DannyAskew

For a while there I would inevitably lose my work the first time AE crashed after I started working on a fresh install. Thankfully, I have so many scripts to install whenever I start on a new workstation that it's become my habit to automatically turn it on as a part of my script-installing dance.

Also, I see this being less of an issue with the new preferences syncing feature. In a way, that allows every user to have their own 'default' when starting fresh. That said, for selfish reasons I'd like to see it on by default.

• 27. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                              IllusionMedia

I've set my auto-save to save every 5 minutes. Can't count how many times that it has saved my ***! It should definitely be on by default.

• 28. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                ThulsaDoom77 Level 1

Can it just Auto-Save in the background? Why have a pop-up?

• 29. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks, everyone.

Based on this feedback, we're going to switch Auto-save to be on by default in the next update of After Effects, which we're hoping to release next month.

Regarding background saving: Yes, that's a good idea. We're going to look into that and see what we can do. I wouldn't expect such a feature to appear before the middle of next year, though, since it's a lot of work and testing.

By the way, everyone should learn the habit of using the Increment And Save command. Once you get into the habit of using it (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S or Command+Option+Shift+S), it has all of the advantages of Auto-save without intruding when you don't want it.

• 30. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                    Taz Olson

I really want to have it on all the time because it is significantly useful for those who sometrimes forget to save but I have been forced to turn it back off because when I have it on, it freezes every time I try to RAM preview something or render it.

• 31. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                      PStJTT Level 1

I'd prefer you left it OFF and let me decide when to turn it on. Mabye a win would be to make it more obvious on the UI when it's not on.

• 32. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                        Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, I would prefer that Auto-save be off; however, it does seem to be common in iOS, Android and web based apps that saving is 100% automatic.  So, in keeping with that, it should probably be on by default.

• 33. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                          Sotirios Papathanasiou Level 1

No need autosave on after effect. Sometime we try so many thing and the we go back so no need to save.

• 34. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                            Chris Meyer NM Level 1

I leave it off, preferring to use Increment & Save to manage my own versioning (when I save; what version it's called). As pointed out above, sometimes you're trying something and you DON'T want your experiment saved; you want to easily Revert to get back to where you were.

Once, years ago, I tried Auto Save, and found it was conflicting with other things (pauses at inopportune times, etc.) and have left it off ever since.

Given the number of people who lose work because they have bad saving habits, I can understand the desire to defaul it on. But I'd turn it off immediately, probably softly cursing the first time I discovered it was on (smile). For me, it's already a reflex action to hit the keyboard shortcut for Increment & Save instead of Save - and I save often.

But whatever you do, PLEASE don't follow Apple's recommended practice for versioning from the last couple of OS versions, including the two-step to do the equivalent of a Save As - I hate it. And "hate" is a strong word.

• 35. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> But I'd turn it off immediately, probably softly cursing the first time I discovered it was on (smile).

I'll also be turning it off, using Increment And Save as you do... but the goal is to save the great majority of folks from the harm of losing data. Experienced users can turn it off once and be done with it, which is a lesser harm than the data loss to which novices (and forgetful people) are currently exposed. In other words, we'll accept your soft cursing, Chris, knowing that it's for the greater good. ;-)

That said, your point---which was also made by several others---about Auto-save being interruptive with complex projects is heard and understood. We think that we can fix this, but not right away (i.e., not by next month).

• 36. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                                Jim Curtis Level 3

The Pr team finally got around to implementing an auto-save that only kicks in when you're not doing anything for a few seconds (like moving your cursor, which is how Avid does it) or playing your video.  That was a very welcome improvement.  It also doesn't switch Pr to be the foreground app while auto-saving, and that old behavior was SUPER-annoying.

• 37. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't have any problems with an auto-save defaulted on.  Since you intend to let people turn it off, that's okay.  I just got out of the habit of using auto save.

Back in the days of Media 100, I'd try exporting, and just as I did, M100 would try to autosave.  It was a train wreck.  I just learned to save like people in Chicago vote: early and often.

• 38. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                                    asmotion Level 1

Definitely on,

And background saving would be absolutely amazing!

• 39. Re: Auto-save: Do you use it? Should we default it on?
                                                                                      TDRonline Level 1

With the recent issues with all Adobe applications I would leave it on. I've had AE randomly lock on me during Ram Preview and had to force close which resulted in a few minutes worth of lost work. I then enabled the auto save due this. I would have it turned on.

1 2 Previous Next