14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 6:03 AM by Adobleren

InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images

Adobleren

I have several automated InDesign -documents that fish in data and images from a server. But suddenly, for no apparent reason, some of those external files my documents subscribe to are getting rasterized. Seemingly willy nilly. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
          Migintosh Level 4

Is that conclusion based on the screen view in InDesign, a printout or a PDF export? If the first, you could try switching to High Quality Display in the View menu. If it's one of the latter two, it could be that the link to the graphic is bad. If you happen to link to images that are in a common folder, try using the Relink to Folder command from the fly-out menu of the Links pallet.

If it's not any of that, maybe give some more detail or a screenshot.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
            Adobleren Level 1

Hi.

Thanks for the reply! The exported .eps and .pdf contain the rasterized image. I can fix this just by going into the document and refresh the links. But this has been and is working like a charm on many other documents. But from time to time the linking seems to just break, and to fix it I have to set up the whole document from scratch. It's not a big deal to update the links, but I want this to happen by itself, so that I don't have to get up early sunday morning every weekend to fix this

• 3. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
              Adobleren Level 1

Just to clarify.

I have a script that generates a .pdf file. I have another script that picks up this file, smash it together with some data and exports out a .eps and a .pdf. The .pdf files sometimes get rasterized, but I cant for the life of me see any pattern. All of this happens on a windows server with custom software and InDesign CS3. The strange thing is that this only happens from time to time. And if it starts happening in a document, it keeps on happening. I can't seem to fix it.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                Migintosh Level 4

Adobleren wrote:

Just to clarify.

…and exports out a .eps and a .pdf.

It might be a transparency-flattening issue. EPS doesn't support live transparency, so it will flatten any transparency, and depending on the PDF settings, you might be flattening transparency on PDF export as well. Sometimes when transparency is touching a vector object (which I'm assuming are the things that are being rasterized) it will rasterize some objects to deal with the transparency flattening. This is what I have heard talked about on the forum, but I've never had any personal experience with it, so you may want to search the forum or maybe wait until someone who knows more about it than me replies.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                  Adobleren Level 1

Thanks.

Sadly this did not fix my issue. But good to know anyways.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you by any chance use Suitcase font manager? There was an issue perhaps 6 months ago with links suddenly going out of date that traced back to one version suitcase, and there was a subsequent update (to suitcase) that corrected it.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                      Adobleren Level 1

No, I don't. This server is there just to do exactly this. Nothing there of interest (to this) except what I have mentioned earlier.

But thanks anyways

• 8. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                        Bernie X Level 1

Does your InDesign document include any object effects (e.g., drop shadows, glows etc.)?

• 9. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't necessarily have a solution to your problem, but it might help if the problem was more clearly defined. There have been some posts about transparancy flattening, effects, font managers, etc., but I suspect your "rasterizing" statement may be misleading. My reason for thinking that:

Adobleren wrote:

The exported .eps and .pdf contain the rasterized image. I can fix this just by going into the document and refresh the links.

So I'm led to believe InDesign and/or the export process aren't actually "rasterizing" anything, and it's a case of broken link(s) resulting in the low-resolution proxy image being exported.

These "images" that are pulled by the script; are they under your sole control, or could it be that they are getting edited and overwritten without your involvement, putting your links out of date?

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                            Adobleren Level 1

Nope, it does not.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                              Adobleren Level 1

Yes, I think you may be right about this. But this only happens in three of about thirty documents. They all have the same function and more or less exactly the same setup. I see no difference in the documents that could cause this.

And yes, the images are overwrtten before each production (A few hours before production). But as I mentioned, this works just fine on everyone else.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Perhaps your preferences are not set to automatically update links when a file is opened?

• 13. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobleren wrote:

Yes, I think you may be right about this. But this only happens in three of about thirty documents. They all have the same function and more or less exactly the same setup. I see no difference in the documents that could cause this.

And yes, the images are overwrtten before each production (A few hours before production). But as I mentioned, this works just fine on everyone else.

Hmmm...so it is just a few images that don't automatically update, while all others do? If so, there must be something different about them; their format, the link path format, a file attribute; or something else about the way they are edited or overwritten that prevents them from updating when the file is opened.

I wouldn't blindly question your credibility, of course, but sometimes a firm belief that everything is identical can prevent you from finding a difference. You may need to dig into the minute details to find it.

• 14. Re: InDesign CS3 is rasterizing my images
                                    Adobleren Level 1

That is the reason i asked in the first place. I have no idea why or how this happened. I've looked through and compared these documents more then i care to admit. The images linked to the ID-documents have the same path, format and almost same size. The images are small graphs in .pdf format if you are wondering. I have tried everything I can think of.

And the documents that have images that is being rasterized was working before. It feels a lot like some strange bug or hiccup. And all my other documents are doing the same, but there it works fine... If all the documents failed I would be just fine with this. Atleast then I could get my head around it.

The only thing I can think to do now is to wait for a deus ex machina to come save the day.