6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 10:37 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?

BillyDBrown Level 1

I'm doing a picture in picture that combines a video that I'm creating in PrE with a Screencast recorded with Camtasia. The get the best features of both worlds, I'm also passing files back and forth between the editors. Looking forward, I'm a bit stumped about the audio recording sample rate. Camtasia is very clear about recommending that I record voice n 44.1khz 16bit mono because it works best with their editor. I've gleaned indirectlty from the PrE forums that 48khz seems to be preferred here but I don't have any idea why. My audio recorder will record at 44.1, 48, and 96 khz 16 or 24 bit. Can't tell what my camera records audio at without inquiring with the manufacturer.

So, why do PrE folk prefer 48 khz and what problems might I encounter if I record at something else, 44.1 khz for example?

• 1. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

The following looked like some interesting reading material related to your audio sampling rate question.

So, why do PrE folk prefer 48 khz and what problems might I encounter if I record at something else, 44.1 khz for example?

In the scale of things, 48 kHz would be higher quality than 44.1 kHz, but...

I think that the quick answer is because Premiere Elements is dealing with higher quality digital audio for video. Typically you see the 44.1 khz being used for CDs.

http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/misc:choosing-a-sampling-frequency

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Some camcorders record stereo at 44.1 but, as ATR says, 48k is considered the standard. In fact, if you generate a DVD or BluRay from virtually any software, it's going to use the 48k sampling rate.

There's really no discernible difference in quality between 44.1 and 48k, and both will work any video editing software.

Most of the higher sampling rates are used for recording audio masters -- and they can create some huge audio files!

• 3. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyD,

I agree with ATR. The 44.1KHz is the standard for CD Audio, where 48KHz is the standard for DVD Audio.

Under normal circumstances, PrE can Import either, with no issues. Now, it WILL Conform either to 48KHz 32-bit floating point, for accurate editing, so that (the resulting CFA file) will be what appears on the Timeline.

PrE will also output to 48KHz 16-bit, unless directed to do something different, such as DD 5.1 SS AAC.

Now, with a mono source, if you have any issues with that sound, you might want to do a Duplicate the mono Clip, placing it on the next empty Audio Track. Then, Pan the original to full Left, and the Duplicate to full Right - that is a consideration ONLY if you do not get your mono Clip to come from both speakers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
                BillyDBrown Level 1

Steve.

I'm learning that Camtasia isn't really a video editor though it's trying. The basis of my video is a PowerPoint presentation, however. Camtasia serves this use well. I'm trying to respect the priority of form, structure, and usability, while sprucing it up as much I can using outside tools. Good to know that if I stick with the 44.1, I'm not giving up much that's discernable to the ear.

BillyD

• 5. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
                  BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks ATR! Will study it.

• 6. Re: Audio Recording - 48 vs. 44.1khz?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyD,

What one gives up, in regards to fidelity, between 44.1KHz and 48KHz, will most likely be more than offset by the audio equipment, that the file is played through. If you like CD Audio, then there should be zero problems.

Good luck,

Hunt