6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 11:04 AM by the_wine_snob

H-265 - About to Become Reality?

the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, looks like the highly touted H.265 (replacement for H.264) is about ready: http://www.eoshd.com/content/11534/new-h-265-codec-test-prores-4444-quality-1-file-size

Now, it might take some time, before any version of Premiere can handle it. Only time will tell.

Hunt

• 1. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I wonder what the file suffix will be. Mp5?

• 2. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

To date, I have not seen anything about the format, but MP5 seems like it would be about right.

Now, when H.265 DOES become a reality, and gains support, we will all have to be careful, when typing the CODEC in a file - that "5" is awfully close to the "4," and I get clumsey with my numbers, sometimes...

Still, H.265 DOES look like it might be very, very useful.

At this late date, in the life of BD, I rather doubt that Sony will add it to the formats/CODEC's for BD, but think about the potential increase in Duration. Think that it will only see life in a streaming delivery, but I could be wrong.

Hunt

• 3. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I have not read all of your H.265 information yet, but do you think that installation of H.265 codec on the computer will result in automatic placement of it as one of the choices under the Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/..... Advanced Button/Video Tab of, for example, QuickTime presets?

ATR

• 4. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

That is a great question. Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to it.

In many cases, Lagarith and UT Lossless are two examples, when a CODEC is added to the OS, it then becomes available to most NLE programs for output. Both of those appear under the AVI format wrapper.

Now, with H.265, there well could be a wrapper issue - or maybe not?

Will be interesting.

Hunt

• 5. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
                  Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The standard for HEVC doesn't specify the wrapper, neither does AVC/H.264 - so it could be inside a MOV or FLV file if you want. Right now the proof-of-concept encoders are sticking with .MP4 for the muxed file, and .H265 or .HEVC for the unwrapped annex-B video stream.

I've not seen any serious proposals for .MP5 as it doesn't make sense - remember .MP4 didn't get the '4' from H.264, it comes from MPEG-4, the working name of the top-level ISO/IEC 14496 standard pack which includes everything from AVC to Xvid.

• 6. Re: H-265 - About to Become Reality?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Thank you for those insights.

Many will be watching for further developments.

Appreciated,

Hunt