7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 7:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?

highaspiratitons

I need to correct a typo on the credits and I cannot find any instructions on how to open a completed file. Do I have to start over?

• 1. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

highaspiratitons

Please always give the Premiere Elements version involved and the computer operating system on which it is running so that we can give you more specific suggestions rather than generalizations.

Generalizations....

Right click the completed Instant Movie on the Timeline, select Break Apart Instant Movie command.

Then find the file for the closing credits in the broken apart Instant Movie, double click that closing credit to open it in the Titler.

InstantMovie.JPG

The Timeline Marker is positioned over the closing title in this Instant Movie (broken apart) example. (black looking file content here).

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
            highaspiratitons Level 1

Sorry, am using Elements 11. Thanks, I have now used the break apart command. How do I return it to an instant movie once I have made the changes?

• 3. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, there is no reason to do that. The aspects of the Instant Movie have been added, and then you have done some fine tuning. That Timeline can just be output via Publish+Share, to the desired settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
                highaspiratitons Level 1

OK, my problem is that I added some effects to the instant movie and now they show up at the end of the video instead of during it. Suppose I will have to figure it out. Was hoping there was some way of returning it to an instant movie.

• 5. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

highaspiratitons

I just had a "ingenious" idea for your question. Forget about breaking apart the Instant Movie. This is going to be a grand accomplishment or a major dud.

Given you have your Instant Movie finished and on the Timeline whole. You decide the closing credits in the Instant Movie need changing.

1. Open Project Assets. You will find a folder for your Instant Movie (has name of Instant Movie Theme) and a file representing your Instant Movie (whole). Double click the Instant Movie Folder. In that folder you will find some individual files that went into the Instant Movie, one being the title file for the Closing Credits.

2. Drag that Closing Credits file to the Timeline from Project Assets. Double click it to open it in the Titler. Make your corrections to the text. Close out of the Titler. Delete that title from the Timeline. When you look at the copy of the Titler still in Project Assets, you will see the version with the corrected text. When you look at the Closing Credits in the Instant Movie still on that Timeline, it will show the Closing Credits corrected not the Closing Credits that need correction.

Please give that a look and see if that works out better for you. This way you will have your corrected Closing Credits and your Instant Movie intact.

If you want to explore what happened with the moving effects, we can do that next.

Please let us know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
                    highaspiratitons Level 1

Sorry for delayed response but doing this in the evenings. You are indeed a genius! Your advice worked perfectly and left the instant movie intact. Would like to know what happened to the effects I added. Also I tried to lengthen the credits while it was in time line but that did not work. Thanks so much for your help on this.

• 7. Re: Is there any way to open an instant movie for editing once complete?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

highaspiratitons

Glad the changing the Instant Movie Closing Credits text and leaving the Instant Movie intact worked. Great news.

However, I am fighting a losing battle trying the same approach for altering the duration of that Closing Title under the same circumstances. No breaking apart of the Instant Movie.... I can change this Closing Credits duration in Project Assets or the duration of Closing Credits dragged from Project Assets to the Timeline. But, when I break apart the Instant Movie, unlike the text changes that we did, the change in duration is not reflected in the Closing Credits file within Instant Movie. Still thinking about this one.

Now for what happened with regard to effects in your Instant Movie. I think that I will need more details on that to tackle it.

1. When are you adding these effects? I am assuming that you are doing this before you start the Instant Movie feature. So, after you start Instant Movie and you get the message about remove user applied effects, are you selecting Yes or No?

2. If you say No, your effects for a given component of the Instant Movie will remain, included with the effects that come with the Instant Movie. I am wondering if the following applies to your situation. Say you apply an effect to one photo at the beginning of the Timeline. No place else. After the Instant Movie is generated, you can see that same photo with effect repeated periodically in the course of the Instant Movie. It does not appear only once. Could you be seeing the repeats of your photo with effects repeated more than once?

I will think about this some more.

ATR