7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 6:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 12 - Scene Detect

msalvag

Maybe a dumb question but, where is the Scene Detect option in the capture panel.  Is it supposed to be here in the grey area under the Save To option?

Capture panel.jpg

• 1. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
          A.T. Romano Level 7

msalvag

We had a thread on a similar question the other day. I will try to find it a post a link to it for you.

In the meanwhile, disconnect the camera from the computer and let us know if you can see the Split Scenes option.

ATR

Add On...The following is the link whose contents I recalled

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1336647?tstart=30

• 2. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
            msalvag Level 1

Thanks ATR.  I'll try this tonight.

• 3. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
              A.T. Romano Level 7

msalvag

Thanks for checking out the suggestions.

Hope they work for you. Keeping that positive thought. But, if any problems, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
                msalvag Level 1

Hello again.

I was able to get the "Split Scenes" options to work- but only once.  I tried the suggestions and left the DV camera turned off before launching PrE 12 and "add media".  The split scenes options did show up.  At this point I turned the DV camera on, and the program hung.   I waited a bit then eventually forced Windows to close it. I re-launched PrE and the split scene option was still present so I went forward and began to capture 50 min of tape. Somewhere around 45 min. I received an error message and the capture stopped.  I believe the error message was, "interruption in recording..."  Strange, since Windows photo gallery was able to capture without issue.

I opened the folder where the capture was recorded and there was only one file so the scene detect did not really work.  I don't know if this was a result of the interruption in the capture or not. I decided to try again from the beginning.  1. Closed PrE, 2. turned the camera OFF, 3. Re-launched PrE, 4.Selected New Project. This time the "scene detect" option did not show up.  I rebooted the machine, tried again and it appeared.  Turned the camera on and the program hung.  I repeated my steps above but was not successful getting the options to appear again.  At this point I gave up for the night.

I do like to editing capabilities but it seems that PRE does not handle media capture well.  In the past I would capture with Windows Photo gallery then import the files into PrE.

I'm evaluating Elements 12 via the 30 day trial at the moment and I'm starting to have reservations about dropping $100 for it.  I do wish I could get it to work because I beleieve it does have it's advantages over the simpler Windows Live Movie Maker.

regards,

Mark.

• 5. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Thanks for the follow up.

How much free space do you have at the hard drive save location that you set for the Captured Video and Audio.

Please check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks as well as the Save In location in the Capture Window.

That C drive 79 GB hard drive space shown in your screenshot may not be enough if that is where the Captured Video and Audio are directed. And, from your screenshot it looks like that is where you have them heading.

Have you said what the computer operating system is that you are running Premiere Elements 12 on...and 32 or 64 bit?

How much installed and available RAM?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
                    msalvag Level 1

I suspected that storage space may be an issue but didn't think it could be a contributing factor.  You may be on to something.

Scratch Disks location for Video and Audio is set to a folder on the C drive I have designated as "capture folder"  <C:\Users\Mark\Videos\Adobe Premiere Elements\Capture folder>

Save In location is set to the same.

I managed to free up some space on the local C: drive and it's up to 98GB free.  I have a second physical 3.5" internal with 168GB free.

I've been planning to add an additional 2TB 3.5" however haven't picked that up yet but will expedite if lack of storage is the problem here.

Here's the setup:

Windows 7 64bit

8GB RAM installed, approx 6GB available

Two 3.5" SATA <C & F>

One 3TB NAS via 1GbE connection

Thanks for all your help, ATR.

Regards,

Mark

• 7. Re: Elements 12 - Scene Detect
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Thanks for the update and checking the troubleshooting suggestions.

Please let us know if the issues resolve with the free hard drive and other computer resources considerations.

Best wishes,

ATR