3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 9:29 PM by kglad

Parent/Action Script advise, please

SteveH59 Level 1
      Hello

I am posting to ask for some advice. I have Flash MX 2004.

I have a series of thumbnails (Movie Clips) which seem to be arranged over two layers (layers 1 and 2). Layer 1 holds each individual thumbnail (movie clip) in several keyframes, so that with Layer 1 highlighted, when I click on frame 1 I can see thumbnail no. 1 on the stage, when I click on frame 2 I see only thumbnail 2 on the stage, when I click on frame 3 I see only thumbnail 3 on the stage, etc.

I see no Action Script when I click through the frames:

Layer 2, however, does appear to hold Action Script. Please see here:

http://www11.brinkster.com/stevehigham/parent.html

When I click on Layer 2 frame 1 I can see Action Script for the first thumnail:

gotoAndStop(_parent._name);

When I click on frame 2 I can see my second thumbnail, but the same script:

When I click on frame 3 I can see my third thumbnail, but again the same script:

I am trying to get my limited cognitive ability to grasp how the file works (I bought it as a template) so that I can change it. I wish to ask two questions. Does the gotoAndStop(_parent._name); mean that every time I click on thumbnail 1 I go to this file: --> _parent._name?

And does it mean that every time I click on thumbnail 2 I also go to this file: --> _parent._name? Does it also mean that every time I click on thumbnail 3 I go to the same file: --> _parent._name?

When I go to Ctrl + Enter and click on the thumnails (regardless of which one it is), I am always taken to the same place. Is it this script, the _parent._name that takes me there? If so, my second question concerns how can I change it - what is it in the script that I need to change - so that each thumbnail takes me to a different place?

Many thanks for reading such a long message!

Steve
        • 1. Re: Parent/Action Script advise, please
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          1. gotoAndStop(_parent._name); mean that every time I click on thumbnail 1 I go to this file: --> _parent._name?

it means that code executes every time the playhead enters frame1. because you have no labeled frame, the code will do nothing.

you need to label your frame and you probably are supposed to load that swf into another swf.

2. no.

3. no.
          • 2. Re: Parent/Action Script advise, please
            SteveH59 Level 1
            Hello kglad

Thank you for your message.

In relation to your comment:

'you need to label your frame and you probably are supposed to load that swf into another swf'.

How do I do that? If I create something new on my stage in a new layer in the first frame how to I change the Action Script so that when the thumbnail is clicked, I go to that particular frame in that particular layer?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Text
            • 3. Re: Parent/Action Script advise, please
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you should read the documents that came with your template.

surely there is more than the timeline that you showed. isn't that just one swf of, at least, two?