32 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 8:16 AM by bryanka

timeline freezing in PREL 12

pgouel12345678

Hello,

in first, excuse my poor english...!

i have converted MTS files into AVI 1024/760 dpi/25 frames/sec. to respect the high of standard 5:4 DV files than i have to mix with.

No problems to import in the project, but when i play the timeline, image freezes after 2 or 3 seconds (not the sound).

CPU charged at 100%, 1,7 Go RAM used, verry difficult to move the cursor step by step, and i have to render the project to see what i do...

My config:

Last version of single Pentium 4 Multi-Thread processor (viewed in Premiere as a multiprocessor chip) running at 4.3Ghz

4 Go RAM (3,6 effective)

Windows XP SP3 up to date

NVidia graphics (used for image processing with 3D rendering soft)

I made multiple DVD with standard 5:4 DV files and PREL 2 without any problems.

Is my config totaly obsolete for that format of video files, or something else ?

Thanks for helping

• 1. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

>i have converted MTS files into AVI 1024/760 dpi/25 frames/sec

Why did you convert your video files? You should edit your MTS files. They're an ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements 12.

Converting the video, in fact, is probably the reason your video files are giving you so much trouble.

• 2. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
            pgouel12345678 Level 1

Thanks for answering, steve

I tried to edit the original files, without success...the sames troubles apeared. Cursor, commands and images blocks, and i have to wait for seconds before each command become active.

You don't think something bad about the perfs of my config ?

• 3. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from?

Did you use Premiere Elements's Video Importer to get the video from your camcorder to your computer?

• 4. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                pgouel12345678 Level 1

Cam is not mine. I received MTS files on an external HDD. I'll ask for the cam's model and manufacturer

• 5. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One more quick question, please:

When you converted your MTS files to AVI, what CODEC was chosen for the AVI? As AVI (like most formats), is a wrapper, what is inside, can have a major impact.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 6. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                    pgouel12345678 Level 1

Here are the tecnical informations:

Camera: Sony nexvg 20, recording in "true" DV format HVCHD

Original files: MTS/H264, 1920x1080 16:9, 13151 Kbps/50 fps, AC3 448 Kbps 5.1

Conversion:

Image size: 1024x576

Video Codec: H.264 (default), 25fps (xvid & mpeg4 are also available)

Bitrate: 2398 Kbps

Audio: MP3 48 Khz 320 Kbps

Converter: Freemake video converter

• 7. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12

This camcorder shoots in AVCHD 1920x1080 60p and 50p, and that's the format you should shoot in if you want to edit your video in Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements is not going to work well with the non-standard format video you are recording to. This is, after all, a $2000 professional camcorder and you're trying to edit the video on a $75 consumer program. I'd recommend that you only shoot in a consumer format if you plan to edit with Premiere Elements.

• 8. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                        pgouel12345678 Level 1

so what ?

In first, i tried to edit the native files in MTS format, but Premiere Elements was not able (or my computer, i don't know) to show them corectly in the preview window.

If i must buy a 6 core proc with 32 Gb memory to run Premiere with that kind of source files, tell me. It was the major part of my first question.

The native files are shooted in the standard format (1920x1080) as i described bellow

• 9. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pgouel12345678

I would like to focus you and SG on certain aspects of your workflow.....

a. You appear to be running Premiere Elements 12 in Windows XP 32 bit. So, resources are might be an issue since, under those conditions, Premiere Elements 12 will be a 32 bit application with the limitations of 32 bit system with regard to resources. So, I can guess that you are converting your AVCHD to a less resource demanding format because of this situation. Is that correct?

b. Assuming "a" is correct, you are converting your AVCHD.mts to H.264.avi with your converter. I see what you are doing with your frame sizing 1024 x 576 16:9. Frame sizing and project presets are consideration are important, but I believe that the core of your matter comes from trying to put H.264.avi (whatever frame size) on the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline.

My first suggestion, as SG seems to be suggesting, is to forget about conversion and import the AVCHD.mts from the camera using the project preset PAL AVCHD AVCHD HD1080p50 and edit that as far as you can go with your existing computer resources.

But, if resources are limiting you and you need to convert the footage to a less resource demanding one, then I would export as H.264.mp4 or MPEG2.mpg and gauge the results quality and other wise OR put Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit so that Premiere Elements 12 will be a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and have the 64 bit resources available to it.

Please review. Right now I believe the .avi wrapper for the H.264 video compression is at the core of this situation. Keep away from xvid.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Adding to what ATR has already mentioned, a 32-bit application taking 1.7GB is really hitting the limits. You also mentioned that the CPU is running at 100%. So resources are definitely not enough for your editing needs. I would suggest that you only change the operating system to a 64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 8 on the same system and you should be good to go. It is not that you do not have the resources; the problem is that you will not be allowed to use them because the OS limits their usage.

• 11. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                              pgouel12345678 Level 1

Thanks for help to everybody

The final issue is:

I have installed PREL12 on a dual core laptop runing under Win7/64 with 4Go Ram.

The MTS file was converted in mpg4 half resolution, but my project contains 3 video sources plus a stereo track plus some playbacks plus a lot of static images plus...and a lot of mixes between each of them. So i think, for doing that kind of job, an up to date config with a multicore proc and a lot of ram is more than necessary...because my laptop was a bit "disapointed" about what to do when i moved the cursor in the timeline.

An other question: how to reduce the 5.1 soudtrack to standard stereo in a MTS file before importing these files in a stereo project ?

Thanks,

PG

• 12. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                bryanka

Hello,

I also need some help with this. It's my fist post here so I apologize if I won't give all the details that you need right away.

I have .MTS files on the dvd-r that I copied to my PC. Last week I was working on one of them in PREL12 and all was fine. Today I'm trying to work on the secod file, the only difference is that a file is a bit larger, and PREL12 freezes the timeline all the time. It gets stuck, the voice goes forward and the video stops. It starts all fine ant 2-3 minutes later it's just not doable.

I tried to convert it to .avi, and .mpeg and it was the same. I'm converting it right now to .mp4 as H.264 in Freemake Converter as you suggested above but I don't think it will help.

I'm working on Win 7, 64bit, 2,80 GHz,  RAM 6GB, NVidia graphics.

Last week I really didn't have any issues. I read some troubleshooting pages and try to fix some stuff but nothing seems too help.

I hope you can help me

Thanks,

p.s. I just converted to that H.264 mp4 and when it just unsynchroinized audio from video when I open it in PREL12

• 13. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pgouel12345678

You wrote

An other question: how to reduce the 5.1 soudtrack to standard stereo in a MTS file before importing these files in a stereo project ?

Why? Details to follow.

True, there is no 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset only 1080p50. But you do not need it unless you are trying for a video export with 5.1 channel audio. And, if you want to export the TImeline content to a file with 5.1 channel, you can easily create your own 1080p50 5.1 channel project preset.

Check out my blog posts of that.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-exporting-1080p50-or-1080p60-file.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe11-exporting-1080p25-or-1080p30-file.html

If you have AVCHD.mts (1920 x 1080 @50 progressive frames per second and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound), just import it in a Premiere Elements 12 project that you or the program has actually set for

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

If you now have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer, it would be expected that Premiere Elements 12 as a 64 bit application on a 64 bit system now has far more resources available to it for such a project.

How do you intend to export your Premiere Elements 12 Timeline content? Important question. Have you posted that information yet?

Looking forward to your results. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Threads tend to be confusing to all when more than one Premiere Elements user details are mixed in the thread.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

It probably would be better to start your own new thread devoted to your specific details. I will reply in this thread for now

unless a moderator decides otherwise.

1. If you have these .mts on a DVD disc, how did you import them into the Premiere Elements 12 project? Which Add Media option did you use?

2. Are these .mts files all from the same camera and do they supposedly have the same properties except maybe for duration? I am looking for confirmation on video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, typical duration. What was the file size and duration of clip 1 (no problem) vs clip 2 (problem)? What project preset did you or the program set based on the video properties? Was there an orange line over the content on the Timeline immediately after the source file was dragged there? If so, did you render the Timeline to get the best possible preview as viewed in the Edit Mode monitor?

3. On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running and what are the resources of this computer...installed and available RAM and free hard drive space?

a.What was already on the Timeline when you imported clip 2?

b. If you start a new project do you have this same problem with clip 2 if clip 2 is the only clip on the Timeline?

c. How do clips 3, 4, or other of what is on this DVD disc present in Premiere Elements 12 project (new or existing)...problems or no problems?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                      bryanka Level 1

Thank you ATR!

ad 1. I copied .mts files to the hard drive first. Then i did it two different ways - once i just dragged it to the timeline, second time i added media and chose files and folders option.

I had it on the expansion drive and I read it might be a problem, so I copied it to the the computer's disc C. Disc C has 829GB free space and expandion drive has 2.70 TB free space.

ad 2. All the .mts files are from the same camera, from the same time and date and space. The videographer recorded the whole event with the same settings (that's what he told me, do you want me to get some more details from him?)

Clip 1 duration time is 47 minutes

Clip 2 duration time is 41 minutes

What project preset did you or the program set based on the video properties?

I don't know.. where can I find this info? I just started using the program so, I'm sorry.

And I have a yellow line over the timeline video (or is it orange?) I didn't render. When I press render the video just starts to go, it doesn't render the same way as when I do the cuts and transitions - than I render and it does it ok.

Ad 3. I wrote that above so I copy - I'm working on Win 7, 64bit, 2,80 GHz,  RAM 6GB, NVidia graphics.

Ad 4. There was nothing on timeline when I import clip 2, I started a new project. I will let you know about clips 3 and 4 later on, I don't have a dvd one me to check right now.

Thank you so much

bryanka

• 16. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                        bryanka Level 1

I tried clip 03 that is 30min long and it's working fine

• 17. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Please excuse the delay.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like all is going OK, but need some catch up clarification.

a. Are you working now only in a new project?

b. If so, is 01 and 02 looking good if you render that Timeline content by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or hit the Render button above the Timeline? Is clip 03 which is looking good on this same Timeline with 01 and 02?

When you start a new project the project preset should match the properties of the source media so that the program establishes the correct space in the Edit mode monitor from which to edit. In versions 11 and 12, the program does that for you automatically based on the properties of the first video drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. When not, you set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project - with check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project) before you import the video into the project. If you want to see what the program set for you, please check out Edit Menu/Project Settings and what is shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

You should now have a resource advantage if your Premiere Elements 12 and project are running on Windows 7 64 bit.

Please let us know your progress with 01 and 02 clip as well as 03.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 18. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                            bryanka Level 1

I only work on new project.

I load .mts files and i save it as a new project. I don't add anymore files to it.

When I press a render button just after I load it to the program it just plays the video from the beginning, it doesn't give me that usual render box with how much time it will take or anything like that. Is that normal?

I checked the project settings: Editing Mode is HDV 1080i , Timebase is 29.97 frames/second Frame SIze is 1440x1080

I finished working on a clip 01, i made 2 movies from it for youtube.

Clip 02 is the one I need to work on now

• 19. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Sounding very good.

Please make sure that your project preset is agreeing with the properties of your source.

If your project preset is reflected in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General with Editing Mode HDV 1080i, Timebase 29.97 frames/second, and Frame Size 1440 x 1080, I suspect that your project preset is

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

That is all well and good if your video properties match.

You have made great progress with 01 and 03 clips, looking forward to good news for 02 clip.

ATR

• 20. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                bryanka Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

Please make sure that your project preset is agreeing with the properties of your source.

But I don't know how to do this?

• 21. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Information needed...either from a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo or knowing your brand/model/camera settings. For Windows,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

For your source, we are after video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.

If you use MediaInfo, just be aware of the choices that you make in the download and installation to avoid bloatware to your computer. The brand/model/settings of the camera would probably not be the best but the easiest, and it is likely to give us all the information that we need to evaluate the proper project preset for your Premiere Elements project.

ATR

• 22. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                    bryanka Level 1

Ok there it is from mediainfo

General

ID                                       : 0 (0x0)

Format                                   : BDAV

Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video

File size                                : 1.98 GiB

Duration                                 : 41mn 28s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 6 831 Kbps

Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 18.0 Mbps

Video

ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=2, N=15

Codec ID                                 : 27

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 6 102 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 16.0 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 440 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.131

Stream size                              : 1.77 GiB (89%)

Audio

ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Codec ID                                 : 129

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 448 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Delay relative to video                  : -814ms

Stream size                              : 133 MiB (7%)

Text

ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)

Format                                   : PGS

Codec ID                                 : 144

Duration                                 : 41mn 27s

Delay relative to video                  : -66ms

• 23. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Thanks for the video audio properties readout for your video.

Based on that information, I believe that the correct Premiere Elements 12 Windows project preset would be:

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30 5.1 channel

That would be appropriate for the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second that you have for your video which has Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio. (That is how I read the information posted.)

However, when you go to export your Timeline, I would recommend that you use one of the 1920 x 1080 16:9 presets to avoid the 16:9 flag that is associated with a 1440 x 1080 choice.

Are you planning on exporting this file with 5.1 channel audio or stereo (2 channel)? More on that next if your answer is 5.1 channel. You will not get Dolby Digital 5.1 channel from Premiere Elements, but, under certain conditions, you can get AAC 5.1 channel or a wmv file with 5.1 channel audio.

More later.

ATR

• 24. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                        bryanka Level 1

Dear ATR,

I don't even understand what you wrote

How to put that correct project preset then?

• 25. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Thanks for the request for clarification.

According to Adobe, once you have started a project and the project preset is set, there is no way to change the project preset. But, we have shown that, in many cases, you can by editing the Notepad document of the saved project file (project.prel).

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

However, depending on what is involved and how comforable you are with the procedure, it may be easier to start a new project with the more appropriate project preset so that the program is directed to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor for your editing.

The focus is that, for troubleshooting, we start with knowing that the project settings are set correctly so that we can then move forward in the troubleshooting to rule in or out other factors which may be involved in the issue. Guideline is: the project preset should match the properties of the source media.

As for audio and 2 channel vs 5.1 channel. There are more considerations if you are aiming for an export that retains its 5.1 channel audio in the export. There should be no consideration in this regard if we take 5.1 channel out of the equation and you settle for an export with Stereo audio.

And, if you are working with converted files instead of the originals, that introduces factors related to the settings you used for the conversion.

You started this thread with Freezing problems in Premiere Elements 12. Generally speaking, have your workflow problems lessened once you moved from Windows XP 32 bit to Window 7 64 bit for running your Premiere Elements 12?

More later.

I will watch for your comments, re-read your thread, and post my best suggestions for getting the project done with the minimum.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                            bryanka Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

You started this thread with Freezing problems in Premiere Elements 12. Generally speaking, have your workflow problems lessened once you moved from Windows XP 32 bit to Window 7 64 bit for running your Premiere Elements 12?

I never moved. I was always on Windows 7 64 bit....

A.T. Romano wrote:

it may be easier to start a new project with the more appropriate project preset so that the program is directed to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor for your editing.

yes, that would be best. so how do i set project presets in the program?

• 27. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                              bryanka Level 1

OK hold on now i see that I can change setting when before I start a new project, so you wrote that I should change them to:

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30 5.1 channel

Correct? I'll try and I'll let you know

It still freezes. Press play and it goes fine around a minute or two and then the voice goes and the video stops, starts jumping.

• 28. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

The person who started this thread that you joined was using Windows XP 32 bit. I suspect that I picked up on 32 bit when I asked about your results with 32 vs 64 bit. Sorry about that. Understood now. Your Premiere Elements 12 is running on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks for trying the new project with the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30 5.1 channel

which I believe best matches your video properties that you posted.

When you dragged that video to the Expert workspace Timeline, what was the status of the line over the content:

no colored line

orange line

green line

If the line above the Timeline was orange, did you render the Timeline, did the results look better or same?

You wrote

It still freezes. Press play and it goes fine around a minute or two and then the voice goes and the video stops, starts jumping

What does your Timeline look like in this instance over the duration of the playback?

a. Video Track 1/Audio Track 1: one video clip with audio linked to the video.

b. Video Track 1/Audio Track 1: more than one video clip with audio linked to the video.

c. Video Track 1/Audio Track1: more than one video clip with no audio audio linked to the video, but unlinked audio clips on Audio Track 1.

d. Other

Is it possible to post a small sample of this video which demonstrates the jumping in the video that you describe?

Also, there are gray tabs in the Work Area Bar (gray area that runs horizontally across the top of the Timeline). Are these gray tabs spanning the entire content in the Timeline? And, when you do the playback of that Timeline content, does the playback stop at the position of the right gray tab?

Please review the above and then we will move forward based on your details.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 29. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                                  bryanka Level 1

I just deleted all the files that i had and copied them again from DVD disc to hard drive, started a new project with the right presets, rendered everything and it still is getting stuck.

I have an orange/yellow line even after I render.

I have an option a. Video Track 1/Audio Track 1 one video clip with audio linked to the video.

Yes, gray tabs are spanning the entire content in the Timeline.

When I do the playback the playback still moves (that line moves) forward and the audio works but the video you don't see. it freezes. then eventually it will catch up with playback (jump in there) and stop again.

• 30. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                                    bryanka Level 1

I recorded how it looks like and here is the link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x196vci_video_tech

Audio didn't record (I'm not sure why) but audio is running all the time and the video you see now how it's frozen, jumps and timeline freezes too.

• 31. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bryanka

Thanks for the further information and the sample video with your issue.

I would like to fit where we are now into where we have been before.

1. You had 01, 02, and 03 in a Premiere Elements project, and you found success for 01 and 02. Later did you find success for 03 in that same project?

2. Now you are in a new project with the project preset which should be matching the properties of your source media, and you have these freezing and stop problems. In this new project, are you now having problems with the same 01 and 02 that worked in the prior project? Or, are you dealing with a new set of files that you stored on your DVD disc?

3. Your files appears to be AVCHD.mts (1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Upper Field First) with Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound. What program created this file which is now stored on your DVD disc?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 32. Re: timeline freezing in PREL 12
                                                                        bryanka Level 1

Sorry for a delay but I wasn't doing videos for a while + I was sick last week.

ad 1. I always open 1 file for one new project that's it. I don't combine a few files in one project (i don't have to for what I'm doing right now)

so as separate files 01 - project 1

files 02 - project 2

files 03 - project 3

and project 3  with file 03 still no success.

ad. 3

That;s what my videographer wrote:

it wasn't a Program that created it.  That's the format the videos come right out of my Sony HDR-XR500V camcorder.