14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 12:54 AM by TWsolange

break facing pages to print

TWsolange Level 1

Hi there,

I really hope someone can advise me, as I got a real shock this afternoon when my printer called me.

Here's what I have and did :

I created a book in Indesign CS5 of 280 pages (141 spreads).

Document set up 205mm x 210mm, facing pages.

I used a lot of backgrounds with opacity which cover left and right page, or photos that cover the two pages as well.

When exporting to PDF, I have the possibility to have 'with spreads' (for myself, to have a clear look on the screen) or 'without spread', for the printer.

However, my printer talled me this afternoon that I have to create them already as single pages in Indesign itself (so no facing pages). I googled around a bit and I've been reading two possibilities :

1. Export the PDF as I did, without the spreads (should work fine according some people on google, but apparently not for my printer)

2. Break up de pages already in Indesign (which will give me a lot of manually work).

So I was wondering : What's the difference between those 2 ? And do I really have to break those pages into singles and can't I just export the PDF without spreads ?

Just changing the documents setting with no facing pages is not a good solution because I have masterpages with left and right different details.

Thanks a lot in advance for any of you that can give some tips !

Deadline of this book is next Monday....so I hope I don't have to redo everything :-(

Solange

• 1. Re: break facing pages to print
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

I think you need to get more details from your printer as to what problem they are encountering so that we can help figure out what the issue is that really needs to get resolved.

I have gone to print numerous times with exported PDF from InDesign documents defined with facing pages (i.e., spreads) with the exported PDF without the spreads (i.e., individual pages within a single PDF file) without any issues. These documents included pages with overlapping content, bleeds, etc. We know it can be done.

Please get us the details and we can try to assist further.

- Dov

• 2. Re: break facing pages to print
            TWsolange Level 1

Thanks already for the quick reply !

My printer has closed already (Luxembourg time here now around 8pm), so I have to call him tomorrow.  I'll ask him more details and come back here. It's my first 'book'....I used to make only flyers and posters now and then....;-)

At least, your answer assures me already a bit that it's indeed possible...so I hope the printer will come with a good explanation.

I made a copy of my book and renamed it where I did some tests...I did page break which works fine....except for the panoramic photos. They stay at one side and don't appear on the other anymore....so I would have to manually arrange that and insert them again on the missing page.

Exporting the PDF without spreads would be the most interesting solution.

I'll be back tomorrow !

Thanks

solange

• 3. Re: break facing pages to print
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To reinforce what Dov said, I would never do a book as anything other than facing pages, and export to single-page PDF.

All I can think of is the printer wants one file per page, and that would be a big red flag.

• 4. Re: break facing pages to print
                TWsolange Level 1

Thank you Peter for your reply....

It reassures me a bit...and I hope my printer will change his mind tomorrow...wait and see...

What do you mean with 'big red flag'...My mother tongue is not english...so i don't know the meaning ;-)

Thanks !

Solange

• 5. Re: break facing pages to print

A warning sign, in this case that the printer is not proerly equipped to impose a multipage PDF and may be doing something like placing the pages into Quark Xpress, which could be disastrous.

• 6. Re: break facing pages to print
                    TWsolange Level 1

Thanks Peter !

So if the printer is fully professional, he should be able to work with my PDF without spreads.....i hope ! ;-)

• 7. Re: break facing pages to print

In my opinion, absolutely.

• 8. Re: break facing pages to print
                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

TWsolange wrote:

Thanks Peter !

So if the printer is fully professional, he should be able to work with my PDF without spreads.....i hope ! ;-)

I wouldn't quite make that leap yet!

Let's find out what his specific issue is with what you are providing. Then we can better analyze what is going on.

- Dov

• 9. Re: break facing pages to print
                          TWsolange Level 1

THANK YOU !!!!

You kinda saved my life (at least for tonight)...Tomorrow I have to call them back...but I was not able to sleep probably if I wouldn't have had your help guys !

OK...As Dov says, we'll have to wait until we have further news...but at least, I know that I didn't do anything exceptionnal ;-)

Solange

• 10. Re: break facing pages to print
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you got the pages as page 1 - 24 for example?

Or have you setup your pages as

24|1

2|23

22|3

etc.?

Or do you have

2|3

4|5

etc.?

If it's the latter then you should export your PDF and untick "Spreads"

If it's the former then you need to arrange your pages as the latter.

But as pointed out already - you can provide a lot more details as requested.

• 11. Re: break facing pages to print

TWsolange wrote:

...but at least, I know that I didn't do anything exceptionnal ;-)

Well, we hope your work is exceptional, from a design perspective anyway.

• 12. Re: break facing pages to print
                                TWsolange Level 1

Hi Eugene,

I have them as your last example

2|3

4|5

As I mentioned before, I sent again a PDF to the printer today with spreads unticked. Tomorrow morning I will contact them immediately and get back to this forum with more details.

Thanks !

solange

• 13. Re: break facing pages to print
                                  TWsolange Level 1

haha, yes Peter, it was a challenge...I never did such a job before...(a book I mean, I only did smaller things and most of the time in Illustrator) so I was really happy with the results...until this afternoon...so I hope tomorrow the problem can be solved ;-)

Thanks for your support ! Much appreciated to find people who want to help !

Greetz from Luxembourg,

solange

• 14. Re: break facing pages to print
                                    TWsolange Level 1

Hello again,

After my printer checked the last sent file (PDF, exported as single pages with bleeds and crops marked), they told me this morning it's fine.....Oef ! ;-)

Dont know why they told me yesterday that I had to break the pages in indesign itself. Maybe the guy who called me yesterday was not fully awake yet.

Anyway, problem solved (at least, I will only sleep on my both ears when I have the final confirmation next Monday).

Thanks again for your advice !

best regards,

solange