23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 5:42 AM by jasonvp

What Multiple GPU Support??

shawno

I just purchased a very pricey Mac Pro for my company, with the intention of utilizing it's dual GPUs & processing power for fast turnaround times on video projects. Turning on GPU acceleration in Premiere, however, essentially renders this machine useless. I can use Premiere (GPU acceleration on) with a single monitor, but as soon as I hook up a 2nd, I have no playback anywhere. No video signal from the program feed or the preview window. My question is, why has Adobe not provided multiple GPU support for a graphics card that currently ships in brand new Macs (ATI Radeon HD5770)? Side note, there are no driver updates for this GPU on the AMD website either. This is very frustrating and disappointing. Next logical question: How quickly will Adobe respond to this screw up?

• 1. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
          tstormSierra Level 1

The ATI HD5770 is kind of an old card. Also, with a MAC, you have to rely on apple for graphics drivers (more times than not). What version of OSX are you runnning?

• 2. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
            shawno Level 1

I just updated to 10.9 yesterday, after speaking with some other professionals about it's stability and reading that it provides better support for multiple GPUs.

• 3. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
              tstormSierra Level 1

Found this in a posting about multi GPU in premiere "Finally, please note that Premiere Pro CC has support for multiple GPU configurations on export (only one is used during playback) so having more than one GPU will speed up your output times."

As far as your play back issues are concerned, I've never had that issue so I can't help you there. But like I said before, the ATI HD5770 isn't that great of a card, the performance you get from two of those will still probably be less than 1 newer card.

• 4. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                shawno Level 1

It's equally (or more) frustrating that Apple would ship such a high-end machine with outdated graphics cards in it. Even so, it's surprising that Adobe wouldn't support something that comes out of the factory. I've been on the phone & chatting with customer service from both companies today to figure this out.... Apple says it's on Adobe, Adobe says it's on Apple. I've given both of these guys a lot of money so it's frustrating that no one can provide a solution.

• 5. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                  shooternz Level 6

There is a solution but its the one we are not allowed to discuss in forums... because it always ends up in the same place.

• 6. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                    shawno Level 1

I'm not reading you...

• 7. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                      tstormSierra Level 1

Shawno, you said you just got this mac from apple, but it looks like they're only selling their black trashcan pro. At any rate, it's been a big criticism from the pros about apple leaving their pro market behind in favor of mobile and all that.

Shooternz, are you talking about supported cuda cards.txt or something else?

• 8. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                        shooternz Level 6

My observation over many years in this forum have brought me to the conclussion ....that users of one platform have considerably less issues than users of another platform (with Adobe Premiere).

One platform has more hardware advantages and customiseable options.

One platform has more Adobe Premiere "functions"

One platform has more bang for the buck.

When Adobe re-ported Premiere to another platform (a few versions ago) ...more issues were posted from one platform than the other. (read into that what you will)...except..they continue to this day.

The issue seem to be always..hardware and when there are O.S changes.

One platforms users tend to be more willing to change O.S at whim...where as the other platform users tend to be more stable  and satisfied with the backward compatibilty of their O.S

• 9. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                          tstormSierra Level 1

Ahhhhh yes, I see what you mean there and agree with you.

• 10. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                            jasonvp Level 3

shawno wrote:

It's equally (or more) frustrating that Apple would ship such a high-end machine with outdated graphics cards in it. Even so, it's surprising that Adobe wouldn't support something that comes out of the factory.

Here are my recommendations in order of what I'd do:

1) Return the Mac Pro and wait for the new Mac-trash-cans to be released.  The processors and GPUs in them will be significantly more capable than what you have now.  By a large margin.

2) Replace the two over-priced AMD cards with a single Mac-approved GTX680 from nVidia.  The challenge you're running into with the Mac Pro is the lack of availability of power for PCI-E devices.  You're forced to use the 4-pin motherboard connectors.  Very elegant and neat, but there isn't enough power to be had from them to juice up a really good card.  Let alone 2 really good cards.  A Mac-specific GTX680 will fall within the power specs.

3) Keep the 5770s and delete the opencl_supported_cards.txt text file.  Assuming Apple's OpenCL libraries can use the 5770s, you should be good to go to use them with Premiere CC.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                              shawno Level 1

Very helpful Jason, thank you. I'm looking into returning this machine and replacing it with a new Mac Pro.

• 12. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                cc_merchant Level 4

Jason,

Is that the new name for the successor of the Mac Pro, Mac Trash Can?

Return the Mac Pro and wait for the new Mac-Trash-Cans to be released.

• 13. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                  jasonvp Level 3

shawno wrote:

Very helpful Jason, thank you. I'm looking into returning this machine and replacing it with a new Mac Pro.

Good deal.  Note that they're not released yet, so you may be without a snazzy new Mac for a while.  And bear in mind that all of your storage is going to have to be Thunderbolt and/or USB3 based.  Assuming you can A)wait and B)afford the T-Bolt storage, you should be quite happy!

• 14. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                    jasonvp Level 3

cc_merchant wrote:

Is that the new name for the successor of the Mac Pro, Mac Trash Can?

It's what it's been refered on the various Mac forums given its appearance.

• 15. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                      shawno Level 1

It's beginning to look as though Apple isn't going to allow the return of this machine, calling it a "custom build." Even though I assembled the entire machine on the Apple website, using what they had available for purchase in new Mac Pros at the time (which was only a couple months ago). Again, why Apple would choose to offer old GPUs in their pro machine is beyond me... let alone offer this configuration on their site then call it a "custom build." One likely possibility is that they had old inventory they needed to get rid of before the announcement of the new Mac Pro release. Pretty good deal for them, considering my company paid huge money for outdated hardware.

At any rate, Apple is now recommending we replace the cards with an Nvidia K5000 or K4000. If I understand your response correctly though, the connector in this machine won't be able to power something that beefy. Is this yet another case of Apple attempting to gouge their loyal customers?

• 16. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                        jasonvp Level 3

shawno wrote:

At any rate, Apple is now recommending we replace the cards with an Nvidia K5000 or K4000. If I understand your response correctly though, the connector in this machine won't be able to power something that beefy. Is this yet another case of Apple attempting to gouge their loyal customers?

I'd avoid the K-series cards because they're over-priced and their benefits aren't something you'll be able to take advantage of with Premiere.  They're great cards, just not what you're after.  You'd be better off with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130912&Tpk=GTX680%20for%20Mac

You'll need to remove both 5770s from the machine (and drop them into a chipper/shredder).  The GTX680 will use both power connectors internally.

• 17. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                          shawno Level 1

Hey Jason, thanks again for the advice. I'm trying to work with our distributor on trading this machine in for a shiny new trash can. If we're not able to do this, how do you think the GTX 680 will perform vs the new Mac Pro?

• 18. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                            digitalkiln Level 1

Hey Shawno,

I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro with an unflashed PC version of a GTX 570 and the performance is very good and I'm guessing you can pick one up for $300 or so ( I don't know how/if it handles multiple monitors, though).   I can load a lot of effects on a clip and it plays back in real time and output is much faster than what I experienced with FCP 7/Compressor.

As far as waiting for a new Mac Pro you might not even get better performance than what would be possible on your current Mac Pro since the new one doesn't have NVIDIA cards and it hasn't been benchmarked.

I would suggest selling one of your 5770's on eBay, you can get $150-$220 for it so it won't cost you much to try the 570.  Alternatively you can keep one 5770 in one slot, sell the other and pick up a used Quadro 4000 for another slot on ebay for $200-$300. 

Gerry

• 19. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                              jasonvp Level 3

shawno wrote:

If we're not able to do this, how do you think the GTX 680 will perform vs the new Mac Pro?

The new Mac Pro is going to come with 3 different choices of video cards, all done by AMD.  I'm not very knowledgeable about how those specific AMD GPUs and/or cards stack up against the GTX680.  Bearing in mind that the 680 is yesterday's tech, though.

The kicker will also be the processors.  The new Ivy Bridge Xeons are going to be more capable than the Westmere Xeon(s) you have in your current rig.  Again: two generations old vs today's tech.

A lot of it will come down to how much money you want to part with.  We only have some small idea of what two of the Mac Pro models will cost, but no clue what the various upgrade options will go for.  I suspect we'll get clarity on all of that in December.

• 20. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                                jasonvp Level 3

I think some things need to be clarified here...

digitalkiln wrote:

As far as waiting for a new Mac Pro you might not even get better performance than what would be possible on your current Mac Pro since the new one doesn't have NVIDIA cards and it hasn't been benchmarked.

You're right that they don't have nVidia chips in them, but it's very likely they'll perform quite well when compared to yesterday's Mac Pro.  Specially since the rig has enough power available to drive two of them.  Also, read my previous post: the IVB Xeons are nothing to sneeze at.

Personally, I prefer nVidia, and I also prefer not using Thunderbolt for storage.  So a new Mac Pro isn't for me.  But it may be others.

Alternatively you can keep one 5770 in one slot, sell the other and pick up a used Quadro 4000 for another slot on ebay for $200-$300. 

Please, whatever you do, DON'T follow that suggestion.  Q4Ks are turds, and hyper-expensive ones at that.  Talk about WAY old technology.

Oh, and Jim: it's probably time to punt this to Hardware.

• 21. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 22. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                                    shawno Level 1

Went with the Mac version GTX 680, and performance has drastically improved (it really had nowhere else to go). I have had some occasional startup issues, but only when I have a 3rd monitor plugged in. I recently did a fresh OS install and so far I'm not seeing the issues persisting.

Still quite frustrated with Apple for what I see as dumping old inventory on me for WAY too much money, but with this new[er] card this machine has some good muscle now.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

• 23. Re: What Multiple GPU Support??
                                                      jasonvp Level 3

shawno wrote:

Thanks again for the recommendation.

I'm glad it's all working out for you.  Enjoy!