5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 9:15 AM by Rick Gerard

Video looks bad on export settings

bsilva48 Level 1

Hey guys, its my first after effects question on here and I def need some assistance.

I'm doing a how-to video and capturing my screen using Screenium (I also tried Quicktime's capture tool). When I export my video in full resolution, it looks fine as expected. But if I compress to the size of 630x354 the video captured portion looks terrible, almost impossible to see.

I exported on Youtube settings in AME and go great results with the 8mbs data rate. So I used those same settings but changed the frame size to 630x354 and it looks bad still.

How can a smaller video looks worse than a larger one if they have the same data rate? Why does my video look good everywhere except that compression setting?

• 1. Re: Video looks bad on export settings
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have a lot to learn about pixels and resolution. Work in HD at a minimim. Web pages consist of very thin type, small details and when you reduce the size of the screen capture you loose all that detail. There's nothing in compression that will help. You can't make something our of a line of type that is only 1 or 2 pixels wide when you reduce the size of your video by more than 50%. All of the popular video hosting sites stream full 1080 HD just fine.

When you are finally ready to render your project use the Adobe Media Encoder and the YouTube or Vimeo presets for h.264.

• 2. Re: Video looks bad on export settings
            bsilva48 Level 1

So you're saying, because I captured a computer screen (even though I saved it as 1080p resolution) and compressed it to a non HD size, it can't help but look bad.

Unfortunately the 630x354 is the video size I have to work with, nothing I can do about that. This will go on youtube as well and will look fine there but this smaller size is what my company is working with on its website.

BTW in AE, my comppsition is 1920x1080 23.98

• 3. Re: Video looks bad on export settings
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

this smaller size is what my company is working with on its website.

BTW in AE, my comppsition is 1920x1080 23.98

I hope the footage you're working with is the same frame rate as the comp.  If not, that'll cause you problems.  I'd double-check that fraction, too:  23.98 is almost always shorthand for the REAL frame rate, 23.976. 

Finally, I doubt very much that the video you're currently using was shot & edited at 630x354.  An original of the video exists someplace.  If you don't want to make garbage, you should get it.

• 4. Re: Video looks bad on export settings
                bsilva48 Level 1

I'll double check the frame rate, thats a good tip.

But I'm not shooting or editing anything in 630x354. As I said that is only the delivery size

• 5. Re: Video looks bad on export settings
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like your company needs to learn a lot about streaming video on the web. First, you should not host the video on your DNS provider, use a streaming service like YouTube or Vimeo or any of a bunch of others. You get 50 hits on your site simultaneously streaming from your server and you are going to end up with a huge mess.

Second, make the video HD on the streaming server and use the embed codes to scale the video for the browser. You simply can not get a good result reducing the size of a screen capture by more than 50%. The text especially will fall apart and be unreadable. There is no reasonable work around except by increasing the size of the display in the browser. Do that and you won't be able to see the entire screen.

Take a look at these screen captures:

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 8.56.51 AM.png

That's a screen capture, uncompressed png of this web page scaled to 40%. That's as good as your screen is going to look without compression if you scale your screen capture from 1920 to 630 pixels. No way around it. Y ur actual scaling would be about 33% so it would look worse. Again, no way around this. It is the way that pixels look when you resample them. Scaling down does not increase detail, it decreases it.

Take a look at this screen capture. Watch it this site at the default size which fits in the web site and you can't see much in the way of detail. Watch it full screen and you can tell what is going on. Let the iframe code "<iframe width="630" height="354" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yourVideo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>" size your video on the website.

When I was producing video tutorials for distribution on DVD I was faced with this same problem. The only solution was to use a hardware based recorder that converted the computer display to SD television. Compared with the video example I posted above the results were terrible but the best that we could do at the time.

One last thing, the size you have chosen for output is not a legal size for mpeg compression so that's also going to make things look bad. For compression to do a good job the frame size must be an exact multiple of the block size used in the compression (8 usually). You have run head long into the limits of the technology. You're trying to tighten use a 9/16 wrench when you need a 14mm. It might work for a bit but you will damage the nut before you get it tight.